- advertisement -

504 plans and georgia schools

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 4.my.son, Jul 21, 2009.

1. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

My sons school will not take 504 plans . They told me if I pushed it then my son would be put into special ed classes. they said I would have to drive him to school , he would not be allowed to ride the bus and feild trips I would have to go but follow behind because they did not have a nurse that could attend. These people drive me nuts they are a public school and my son is not in need of special ed. he is very smart. anyone have any advice any attorney info appreciated.:eek:

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are having to deal with that. Since they are a public school and receive state/federal funds, they need to provide for your child. I would contact the ADA and speak with one of their attorney's. Here is a thread on this subject.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=19599&highlight=attourney

There is also a woman named Crystal Jackson on this site who you can contact. Good luck.

3. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

I would also ask your endo what letters/forms they provide for their patients for school. I would be happy to share my son's 504 as well as the form the high school asks us to fill out. Obviously it's different for us because he does his own management, but the affects of highs/lows are the same. Does your school have a full time nurse?

Even tho we have a 504, I had to fight for some things and I will have to again this year. Keep it up, you're doing what your child absolutely has the right to have! Unfortunately, we have to educate people that just don't get it sometimes. :confused:

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

They are breaking the law. They are required to give your son a 504. He will NOT be in Special Ed and they cannot require you to go on field trips. They are just trying to scare you. Go in strong and give them the section of the law and the section that shows that diabetics automatically qualify. Don't ask them - tell them what you expect. IF they give pushback, get an ADA advocate.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Your son's school MUST hold a meeting to determine 504 eligibility if you request the meeting. They can also (at this meeting) decide if an IEP is a better fit - an IEP is used for "special education" issues - issues where a child is having trouble at school meeting the grade level standards. Both of my children have had IEP's at some point for speech therapy. They are both bright kids but both have had trouble with forming sounds correctly and to get speech therapy at school they need an IEP. It does not mean a special bus or special classes (other than the speech class). If your child is not meeting grade standards they can choose an IEP to give them extra time with a teacher (one on one or a special class) to bring them up to standard. It does not generally mean being put in an all day class unless the child has more serious issues (autism, etc).

If you put in a letter to the principal that you are requesting a 504 meeting they are required to hold it. I would do that now or close to the time school starts.

Also go to the ADA website and request their free school discrimination packet by calling 1-800-DIABETES. The packet has a form to fill out if you want some additional help from the national office (such as putting you in touch with a lawyer or a local volunteer school advocate). The website (under school discrimination) has a ton of info.

The school cannot put your child in special ed classes unless there is a need for "remedial" education (he is not meeting grade standards and is usually significantly behind or needs special services - like speech therapy). They cannot refuse the bus or field trips. They are required to appropriately meet your child's needs.

I think it is rather sad they are trying to scare you with a "special ed" label. As educators they should be more sensitive to posing that as a negative or intimating those students are somehow less desirable. These students cannot be denied bus service or field trips either - so that doesn't make sense.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

They are completely WRONG! Contact Crystal Jackson at the ADA for help.

I am in Fayette County, GA. My daughter has a 504 along with a Diabetes Health Plan.