- advertisement -

504 plan with Crohns, not diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gomod71, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Friend of mine has a 11 year old son diagnosed with Crohns about a year ago. Thus far he has not had a 504 plan. The school is recommending one now, and I had suggested one to Mom a while ago as well.

I know diabetes needs and what we have on our 504 plan, but no clue about Crohns.

He typically misses school every 7 weeks for infusions. Misses some time due to illnesses, fatigue.

Any suggestions for them? Only things that came to mind were extensions on assignments, unlimited bathroom and nurses office visits. I told the mom to inquire about how info is shared with sub teachers, as our school didn't share 504 plan information with their subs and it caused problems.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Personally I would ask the mom if she wants "normal school general education" meaning her child is responsible for the same amount of work as every other student and just wants accommodations to help foster extra time and communication between school and home or if she would like the "load" lightened when he has a flare up? if the second case then that is more than a "accommodation" that is a modification to the general education and he would need an IEP. 7 weeks of missed school is substantial and I am just thinking that it is hard to do as much as others when you are unwell and fatigued, so condensing assignments and modifying from written to audio could really help him stay afloat.