- advertisement -

504 Meeting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by austin_calebs_mom, Oct 2, 2009.

1. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

The principal at my son's school called me this morning and we will be having a meeting to set up Caleb's 504 on October 9 at 1:30pm. What do I need in order to be ready for this seeing as how I've never done this before?

Is it going to prevent a 504 from being established since we don't have a local doctor or, as the school nurse said, proof of his diagnosis from a doctor here in MI?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

3. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Call your local ADA office. Our meeting is this Monday, the 8th and the ADA has been unbelievable in helping me prepare. I have 3 people working on Carson's case and one is coming with me to the meeting as an advocate. (We are meeting with a lot of resistance and ignorance from the school.)

Anyways, the ADA has been a lifeline for me! Good luck!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If they try to claim that you need proof of his diagnosis from an in-state doctor, I would act politely surprised and ask them to show you where the law requires that. They won't be able to.

Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you. Our first 504 meeting is next Thursday. Good luck!

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

That's great - if not a bit soon - LOL!

I would go to the ADA website and read as much as you can there on the "school discrimination" section. I don't think you'll have time to get the packet from the ADA but make sure to call them and request it.

I think on this page about 1/3 of the way down under the heading:

NEW! Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (Effective January 1, 2009) Information and Tools

is the most important documents - I would print them out and take them to the meeting and give everyone a copy - perhaps giving them a copy beforehand. http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/discrimination/school/ada_schoolmaterials.jsp

Make sure they do not try to tell you learning has to be affected to get a 504 - that is definitely not true.

Also I suggest discussing eligibility and having them determine your child is eligible BEFORE getting into any discussion of accommodations. I would deflect a discussion of accommodations until you get eligibility established.

You may need a letter from your son's doctor that states that he has type 1 diabetes, etc. In the link above there is a sample letter - I suggest having your "out of state" pedi endo fill that out for you.

Try to get them to give you a copy of the policy where they cannot accept out of state dr's orders before your meeting if possible.

Good luck!