- advertisement -

504 meeting .. never been so angry!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylee's Mom, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I know .. my husband was like "We do not need to defend ourselves" but I just want to shove in their face my daughter is very well cared for. But then I also agree with Chris and maybe should just let it go :rolleyes: But letting it go more than likely will not happen ...

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I disagree. To have it get to the point of it being addressed at a 504 meeting with the counselor involved, there's been a lot of outside discussions going on at the school. The conversation with the SIL reinforces the depth to which this is happening. It almost sounds as if diabetes has become a focal point for the teacher because of other issues with the family. I think they need things specified very carefully in their 504 with backing from their endo and an ADA advocate so that this doesn't turn into a call to child services. The "moral issues" statement is so far overblown. Does she stop every child from eating things in their lunches of which she doesn't approve because they're at a 1/3 risk of developing Type 2?

I think the principal needs briefed by the ADA as an outside party so that it is not between the teacher and the parents. It needs to be based on laws.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You don't know that, I would be careful making assumptions about a situation you are not involved in. You could very well be correct, but we have no way of knowing.

I was addressing the guidance counselor's comments, not the teacher. Assuming the school will call child services over this I think is blowing things way out of proportion.

This is a small school and Crystal and her family are going to have to deal with the staff there for awhile. Creating a huge battle over some stupid comments made by someone who is not even in a place to enforce those comments, in my opinion, is overkill at this point. All I am saying is to take things one step at a time. There is no need to go in there guns blazing with the ADA etc, at this point. The councelor is new to the school and also admitted she knows nothing about diabetes, so she is in no place to make any decisions about the child's care. I think she was just running her mouth in an ignorant way.

Don't get me wrong, I think the comments were idiotic, and I am not suggesting to just let it go. Crystal already made her feelings clear in the meeting and maybe, just maybe, the counselor will drop it. Done deal. If not, then I think Sarah's idea would be the next logical step.

I agree with you that the Principal should probably be made aware of what the counselor said, but there are no laws against making ignorant comments. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Update .. We had an open house at the school today and the counselor asked to speak to me. She said she felt awful about what she said .. had not slept all night and apologized. She also included that she was being fed information from outside sources and knew nothing about my daughter. This whole this is not even an issue about Kaylee's D. It is about her classroom teacher not liking my husband ... so I thanked the counselor and I do respect that she apologized to me. Now we will just have to deal with her classroom teacher. :rolleyes:

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Great news! Kudos to her for the honesty to admit her mistake.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Good news.
    Now maybe she needs to teach the teacher some morals.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It's a public school, right? They have no choice but to train someone. And I would be absolutely LIVID having the school be the school police. I would get a letter from the endo that states Kaylees food choice are perfectly appropriate.

8. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

I'm glad you two were able to talk. She sounds like an integral woman; someone good to have in your corner ;).

9. repeat

repeat Approved members

I am a school nurse as well as the mother of a T1 and I am appalled at this behavior! I personnally don't see a thing wrong with her lunch. She obviously covered it with her insulin so all is well! From what you said about the "new" counselor then about her teacher having "moral issues" sounds to me like new counselor has been spounting her mouth off and projecting her medically uneducated opinion onto a medically uneducated sponge of a teacher.
    The letter from your endo sounds like an excellant idea. It will also let them know for future reference..."mind your own buisnes". You as a parent are the expert here.