- advertisement -

504 Language regarding 'late assignments'??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, May 27, 2014.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS is 9, in 4th grade.
    He had a bad day last week, repeated lows that required several trips to the school nurse.

During one of his nurse visits, his teacher collected a large math packet that was due; she collects some of the homework in the beginning of the day; other assignments are collected at different times apparently.

When all his assignments/tests/HW were returned in his Friday folder, he had a 60 on the math packet; she took off 25 points for being late (he handed it in the next morning).

If he gets anything below an 85, he is removed from advanced math, so I wrote her and asked her to please reconsider the -25 points. Thankfully she did, but I wonder if I should put specific language in his 504 for next year regarding late assignments. Do I need to explain that repeated lows can cause "brain fog"?

This was her response:
    "Thank you for the letter about Aidan’s work. Of course I will rescind the -25 however, Aidan did not acknowledge that when I requested the work from him the next day. As you noted he was at the nurse 6 times that day, so we had a discussion about him being aware of what he is missing when he returns."

Do you have any language in 504 along these lines?

Thank you for any input you can provide.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ours have always included something like this

Maddie will be allowed to make-up any class work or homework missed due to diabetes related illness, within a reasonable timeframe, without penalty.

Maddie will not be penalized for absence or tardiness required for medical appointments, diabetes related illness, visits to the nurse, or time needed to manage a high or low blood glucose.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Sarah, thank you - simple and to the point!
    I seem to add more specific points every year to the 504 as the occasions arise - live and learn!

Thanks again!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sure. No problem :)

I don't think that there's any way to anticipate every possible contingency but adding statements like that can help set a tone.

Fwiw, the teacher's email strikes me as a bit disengaged for a 4th grade teacher. Few 9 year olds are comfortable asserting their rights and advocating for themselves even when they are feeling their best, much less when they are a bit worn down by a patch of lows.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Sarah, let's just say we can't wait for this school year to end; his teacher is one tough cookie, to put it politely.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I totally agree with Sarah, but I would have probably used a choice expletive to describe the teacher!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Pfffft. My son is 10 and in 4th grade, and it would not have occurred to him to mention to the teacher that he had been at the nurse the prior day when the rest of the class turned their assignments in.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think the language is fine, and guarantees a good result, but someone still needs to assert that the missing assignment was diabetes related. For as much as this teacher sounds like a piece of work, I think it's beyond any teacher's job description to ferret out whether an assignment is late because of diabetes or because the kid just didn't do it. My kid's been flakey as h*ll lately, forgetting to bring homework home, assignments back to school, her instrument on lesson day, etc. and NONE of it has anything to do with diabetes. Spring fever, yes -- diabetes, no.

9. hawkeyegirl

In 4th grade, I disagree. I know teachers are busy, but in elementary school, it's her job to keep track of what my kid misses when he's at the nurse. Now, stuff will get overlooked occasionally, and I don't mind sending her a quick email that says, "Oh, you took points off because this was late. Any chance he was at the nurse when everyone else turned theirs in?" But for her to put the onus on him at this age? Nope. Not a "reasonable accommodation" for a 9/10 year old.

10. mamattorney

I think if you want the teacher to be the person responsible for determining whether an assignment is late for diabetes reasons, then the language above is insufficient. I think it would need to say that the teacher will make a record of any missed work related to diabetes and allow the child to make it up without penalty. I think I would balk at that as a teacher/administrator, but maybe I am making them out to be busier than they really are. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

For me, I don't think I'd want the teacher making that call. I'd rather have my child assert it was diabetes related at the time (I did this, but must have been at the nurse when you collected it), or failing that, catch it on the back end, like was done here.

11. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Thanks again all for the well-thought out ideas; I really appreciate it.

Mamattorney, how would you suggest we revise the language? It IS a super busy class - kids are constantly being pulled out for various reasons (band/chorus, reading help, math assistance, speech, physical therapy, etc.!) Aidan only leaves for nurse visits and not for any of the aforesaid reasons; advanced math is after school (the nurse is still on duty).

Thanks!

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If that is the case, what happens with the other kids who are not there when something needs to be turned in? It seems like there should be a consistent process to deal with this, not just for him and his diabetes related absences.

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

No clue Chris; nor am I going to ask the teacher at this point when there are only 17 days school days remaining. I believe some of the other children have IEPs and not medical 504s, perhaps it is written in their plans. I just want to make sure my kid is covered for the future.

14. hawkeyegirl

Well, I certainly am in no position to make that call. I generally have no idea when my son is at the nurse or when assignments are collected, so every time he got something marked off as late, I'd have to e-mail the teacher and ask if he was in the classroom or not when it was collected. That puts it right back on her, so what would be the point there? As for my son being responsible for it, how is he supposed to know what he missed when he was out of the room? Yes, upon his return to the room, he could ask her every time what he missed, but (a) there are times that would be disruptive and (b) it's not a reasonable expectation of a 4th grader, especially when he might not be returning to the room right away, but to lunch or art or music or recess or PE where his class has now moved on.

Kids are in and out of the room all the time (and sick, and on vacation), and I assume that most teachers have systems in place so that they are not marked down if she collects an assignment while they are gone for whatever reason. But 9-10 year olds are simply not ready for that sort of responsibility. At least mine is not.

Lisa, I'd simply say that "Teacher is responsible for collecting work from Aidan after his return to the classroom if it was due during a diabetes-related absence." I think it's absurd that you have to put this in there, though. Jack's teacher just deals with it.

15. mamattorney

I actually like Sarah's language a lot (our school has no graded homework and no late homework - everything just has to be turned in before the end of the trimester, so we don't need it), but I think it depends upon who you you want responsible for knowing how the missing homework came about. If you want the teacher to be the one responsible, then I think it should say: "Maddie will be allowed to make-up any class work or homework missed due to diabetes related illness, within a reasonable timeframe, without penalty. If classwork or homework is assigned or collected during a trip to the nurse or other diabetes related absence, Maddie's teacher shall ensure that the homework is collected and/or that Maddie receives the assignment upon her return to the classroom."

16. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Thank you again.

Our school has been very accommodating; nurse terrific, etc.; we really have no complaints at all.
    This was the first time the situation has come up with any of his teachers; just wanted to protect him a bit for next year.