- advertisement -

504 for Kindergarten in the fall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shekov, Jan 5, 2010.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

DD starts K in the fall and from what I've read here, I'd like to have a 504 in place to avoid problems.

I'm wondering when I need to start working on this and what would be my first step (or two).

Should I get it going this school year so that I'm not trying to educate a frenzied staff during the first week of the new school year?

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Hi Sherry, looks like we're in this together.

YIKES!!

I just had a conversation with our district nurse yesterday, and I would suggest you get something in place now.

In our school, the nurses and staff are gone all summer, so if you wait until September, you will be facing chaos.

They told me I need a doctors letter outlining all of Ava's needs, what her range should be, basics on operating her pump, signs to look out for, target blood sugars, corrections, etc. They also can get a para in place for playground time.

So go ahead and get started on it. That way September will be smoother. Good luck!

3. shekov

shekov Approved members

That's what I was thinking.

I'll contact the nurse today and find out what they would like from dd's dr.

It all seems so daunting right now.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I know that our school wouldn't do it until school had started. That is to say, we met with the nurse and teachers and trained them a week before school started, but we didn't have the 504 meeting until after school started. Frankly, it worked out better that way because we were able to see what was working and what wasn't.

But our school is super cooperative, so it wasn't concerning to me to not have a 504 in place right at the beginning of the year.

6. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Our school also refused to have a meeting before school started in the Fall, but it is still a good idea to contact them before the end of the school year to give them a heads up that you will be pursuing a 504. We got a reflexive response of "none of our other diabetic kids need a 504, just make a nursing plan." We got that sorted out in the Spring and then did the 504 meeting in the Fall.

I attended a JDRF meeting on the subject of 504s and was steered away from presenting a complete 504 plan to the school. They said it would be better to work collaboratively with the school. It worked out well for us.

GL!

Kirsten

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Our school was the same. They agreed to meet in June before he started K in order to "explore the issues" sort of thing - but we could not get them to hold the 504 meeting until school started. Actually all of my Herculean efforts at getting things in place pretty much didn't happen - LOL! Believe me - I tried. I did have things ready to go - the doctor's orders, etc. It still took what seemed like forever to get things in place, get them trained on his pump, etc. Most schools are just not set up to deal with next year's students before the school year starts nor are they around in the summer to deal with it.

Technically they do NOT have to hold the 504 meeting until your child is actually going there. Do what you can but don't expect them to hold the meeting until your child starts.

8. simom

simom Approved members

I took time to introduce myself to the school nurse in the spring. I also spoke with the after school program director. Our school nurse had a format for the information that she likes to use (there are two older kids with D at our school) so she provided us that to fill out. Our Dr. office also had a form - so the nurse has copies of both.

Our schools have "in-service" the week before school starts, so we agreed during the spring that we would do the training then. I took an afternoon off and met with all of the team (teacher, after-school and nurse) during that in-service time. I worked from home the first two days of school (I have a great employer!) to be nearby in case there were any questions. The first day I visited at breakfast, lunch and snack to help them learn "live" and the second day I visited at breakfast and lunch only to observe. Once everyone was comfortable that they had the hang of it (i.e. Day 3) I was available by cell.

I'm like you - I like to have everything set in advance for these sorts of things! Good luck.

9. lycaonia

lycaonia Approved members

the school nurse told me kids with diabetes dont usually have a 504 plan, also they didnt want any supplies left at school unless the dr signed a form for each. Also they told me that no one would be able to give insulin i would need to do that, and if my son could test his own blood too. Hes only in first grade age 7. today is our second day back to school since dx.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

In CA they are required to provide an RN to give your child his insulin (in public schools) a nurses aide is NOT allowed to do it but they MUST supply you with a nurse. The nurses aide is allowed to do the blood test. The nurse will follow the doctor's instructions to the letter and if you request a variation, you will have to get it in writing. You need to meed with the school principal and the school board if necessary. My granddaughter is also 7 attending public school in CA. We pack her lunch with the carb count for the lunch written down and they dose from that carb count from the instructions from the doctor regarding bolus and correction factors. You should pursue this further. Your child needs supplies to be kept at school for his protection in case of emergency including juice boxes. Hailey keeps a 'care kit' with her in a small back pack that contains all necessary equipment and supplies, insulin (formerly pens for MDI now pump supplies), meter, calorie king book, juice box, lancing device (multiclix), strips, extra pods, etc etc . Good luck!

We dont have a 504 plan specifically because we have an IEP but it amounts to the same thing. They have to give it to you if you request it. Make sure they know you are talking about type 1 diabetes and not type 2...perhaps type 2 do not have 504s or nurses?

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

ugh we're almost there, I'm so nervous! Fortunately the school is a mile away if any problems arise.