- advertisement -

504 Experts, I need your HELP!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lindy, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

We have a GREAT 504, developed by our ADA attorney and the school district's attorney. The school failed to implement the 504 all last year, for having enough properly trained people on Cooper's equipment. It proved to be quite a problem and several missed days of school for Cooper. We finally filed our OCR complaint this year, after nearly 1.5 weeks of missed school and a principal telling me that the staff didn't need to be completely trained....:eek:

OCR has accepted our complaint and feel that they have the legal authority to investigate.

The school as of last weekend is now hiring a pt RN, ft LPN, pt LPN....ha! ;)

The school sent us a formal invite to a 504 meeting, in which they are having 8 district reps present. Of course their attorney will be one of these people... We feel they will try and make changes to the existing 504. What rights do we have concerning the changes to the 504?

The expert advice is appreciated!:cwds:

just wanted to add, that all the new hires are for the entire district of approx. 2400 students - not just my child!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Nicky, will you have some one representing you there? It would be good if your CDE could be present. Its obvious that Cooper is not old enough to know how to do any of his own diabetes care. Most 504s state emphatically that someone trained in d care needs to be in the school while a CWD is there, period. It doesnt say that the person needs to be and RN it has to be someone trained. At our school the principal told me that he cannot force anyone there to train which is probably true. If it is true they have the responsibility to make sure someone is there while your son is there. I would really doubt that they can make changes to the existing 504 without your approval.

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Will your ADA Advocate be able to make it to the meeting?

4. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Yes, our ADA advocate will be available via phone conferencing...

Our 504 states there needs to be 3 trained people on Cooper's equipment, it does not require that to be a "licensed" individual... Like I stated, our 504 ROCKS! It's a great 504, solid! It is our belief that the district is going to try and make changes.

What rights do we have to make sure that changes we do not approve are not made... A 504 is a tricky one, in that it is the school's 504 plan, not ours - isn't that interesting! Our ADA attorney, said we just have to stay calm and keep throwing out the reasonable viewpoint.... Just looking for some more info on change to a 504 Plan and our rights...

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Can you just refuse to sign it?

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They can not make any changes to your 504 that you do not approve of. If you don't like it, don't sign it.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

What does it mean exactly that it is the school's plan? You did not help draft it?

If they make changes that you disagree with, you can refuse to sign it. Then I "think" there would be an agency in your state that would handle disputes over accommodations through a "due process" hearing. Generally OCR will not get involved in determining whether individual accommodations should be in there or not. Sometimes they will - but it might be for something like an agreement that they have trained people on campus at all times and they want to take that out.

I must say that the above is my best guess at it and not the gospel truth perhaps. Can you advocate get you back in touch with the attorney at the ADA who gives advice via phone? She might have further insight.