- advertisement -

504 and PE

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm writing up Maddie's 504 and I thought I'd just share that if your school, HS or MS usually, has the "No PE, no after-school athletics" rule, you may want to include a line about exempting your D kid from this policy. It may also exist for other after-school activities like band, so even if your child doesn't play sports you may want to look into it.:cwds:

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Good advice. Unfortunately our school has an athletic policy that puts sports first and school second.

3. Dave

Dave Approved members

Wait - the school has a policy that T1 is not allowed to do PE or play on teams?!

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

No some schools have a policy that if you don't participate in PE on a particular day you are not allowed to play that day on an after school team. So in a T1 instance if your child was high at PE and unable to participate per the school rule they would not be able to participate in the after school sport. (I think that's what's being said).

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, KatieSue got it right. ;)

Last year DD had a bad high and felt lousy, had to go to the nurse near the end of the class just before PE. She changed her site, corrected and stayed there for a while as her PE class was out in the sun ( it was a hot day) at the track. Someone, I guess the PE teacher, called the athletic director to report her absence (even though she knew where she was and what she was doing there) and her coaches were informed that she couldn't participate in the first hockey game of the season which took place about 6 hours later :rolleyes: She was devastated and in tears and generally furious at the unfairness of it all.

I try to maintain mellow relations with school but that got loud fast. Needless to say, it won't happen again.;)

6. Dave

Dave Approved members

Not surprising. Shocking lack of understanding and/or sympathy about T1 out there.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To me it is not that shocking. I knew little about Type 1 diabetes before Danielle was dx. And right now I know little about many diseases that people live with every day. I think if we expect people to understand all the nuances of this disease that we must understand, we will be disappointed.
    What I found as I lived with this for year after year is that my tolerance for people's ignorance went up. If I encountered it I would try and educate people, but there are some situations where that doesn't work so I learned to just smile, nod, and walk away.

The above comments are separate from Sarah's issue.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013