- advertisement -

504 and high school sports

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Annie4cure, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Annie4cure

Annie4cure Approved members

Can a 504 plan prevent a highschool coach from cutting a player? The coach just found out my son is a diabetic, he is on the baseball team and his stats speak for his talent... Things seemed to change since coach found out he is diabetic.... Some college coaches have shown interest, he is in 10th grade...Can a 504 plan prevent the coach from cutting my kid as tryouts approache for varsity?

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Even without a 504, the coach cannot cut a kid based on his having diabetes. That would be straight disability discrimination.

But I don't think you can insist that the 504 provide that, just because he has diabetes, he is untouchable on the varsity squad. Under 504, the student has to be "otherwise qualified" for the activity, which means that, other than the accommodations that he requires for his disability, he has to generally meet the same performance standards as the other baseball players. Of course, the 504 certainly can address the kinds of accommodations that his T1D requires in order for him to safely participate in baseball (e.g., ability to check blood sugar and treat lows, insulin and supply storage, excused absences from practices, etc.), and the coach will have to honor those accommodations.

What specifically has changed since the coach found out about diabetes? Even if you can't spell out in the 504 that the child has an automatic spot on the baseball team, you can certainly complain about discrimination to the athletic director or principal or other school official.

3. Annie4cure

Annie4cure Approved members

Thank you for your advice.... My son plays year round baseball and this helps him to want to take care of his diabetes.... I'm not gonna get into the things that have changed, we may get legal counsel to see what my sons rights are... He is definitely qualified to play varsity... I certainly don't expect my son to be placed on a team sport where he doesn't have much experience....I'm hoping that the 504 helps secure him a spot on the team... All the politics in baseball leaves to very few spots... This should be a wake up call to all diabetic athletes to be protected in some way....