- advertisement -

$500 battery cover from Omnipod!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by MicheleL, May 2, 2010.

1. MicheleL

MicheleL Approved members

:eek:The battery cover from my son's Omnipod PDM (like a little plastic battery cover on a remote control) fell off and disappeared. I called today to get it replaced and was told that they cannot replace only the battery cover. They said we will have to replace the entire PDM and that since this is not covered under the warranty, it will cost us $500. That is one expensive little piece of plastic!

I asked for a manager and there wasn't one available, but they are supposed to call me tomorrow. Has anyone ever had a problem like this or had one replaced? I cannot believe how incredibly stupid this is!

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Can you just duct tape the battery in?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

that is simply ridiculous! why wouldn't they simply produce extra battery covers.. the other pump companies do.

4. MicheleL

We probably will duct tape it if we have to, but I think that it is ridiculous that he would have to do that with such an expensive and important piece of medical equipment. The part can only cost them a few cents and I think they should make replacements available. We cracked a screen on a PDM and they replaced it with no problem. We had to send back the damaged PDM. They could give us a battery cover from one of those units that stopped working properly! The idea that they cannot get them is unbelieveable to me. I was wondering if anyone else had a similiar situation with omnipod or any other company and if the company was able to help them or not. I guess I'd like a little ammunition for tomorrow when the manager returns my call.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Is the serial number on the battery cover?

6. MicheleL

No, the serial number is on the PDM itself. It is simply a little piece of plastic!

7. MicheleL

I still hadn't heard from Omnipod late this morning so I sent an email about my situation and explained how unhappy I was. They just called me and said this would be no problem and they could get me that part right away. I guess common sense prevailed in the end. We've been very happy with the omnipod and their service in general. He said this was just a misunderstanding on the phone reps part and appologized for any inconvenience. :)

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Was it after hours or the weekend crew?

9. MicheleL

I originally called on Sunday. The woman on the phone went to speak with someone else before she came back and gave me the answer that I would have to purchase a new PDM for $500 to get a new battery cover. I'm not sure whether they were not properly informed, or if the fact that I sent an email expressing my great disappointment in their company prompted a change in heart. I think that they don't really have any plan in place to do a replacement, but if you speak to the right people, they have the power to make it happen. It really shouldn't be that difficult, but they appologized and they are taking care of us. Everybody makes mistakes and I'm happy with the resolution of my problem. Overall they've been a great company to work with and Tyler has been very happy with his Omnipod.

10. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

If I have to send a PDM back, I will keep the cover!

I think I will keep the cover if I have to send another PDM back.

Thanks for the heads up.