- advertisement -

5 years, and a reflection

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Danielle2008, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

This last Sunday marked my 5 year "anniversary" of my Diabetes diagnoses.

I spent the weekend in New Mexico doing what I love best, showing and riding my horses.

5 years ago, I sat at Children's Hospital learning of a new diagnoses, scared, upset, and worried about what that meant for my future.

5 years later, on the day I was diagnosed exactly, I received my first Hi Point Novice Amateur Award with my horse Vinnie.

The significance of the award, on that day exactly, will always be held closely to my heart. For something I have worked so hard to finally achieve.

I am so thankful for the insulin that has provided me the ability to continue my life, and follow my dreams.

Not everyday has been easy, and I know that everyday going forward will also not always be easy.

However, I am so blessed for the contiued support of those who have entered my life because of Diabetes. The amazing people who continue to show that you CAN do absolutely anything you set your heart to.

Thank you everyone for being part of my 'family', and helping me learn and grow over the last few years.

Just a picture from this weekend. As far from a Hospital room as possible.

[​IMG]

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Wow! Congratulations, you look beautiful and that's quite an accomplishment. (and I have to add that I was glad to see you were not wearing blingy crazy clothing like so many do...my daughter runs barrels so she's always the one showing up late with her hair in a mess, clamping a hat down when they force her to!).

Time is a fickle creature. We've just passed 3 years and I can't decide if we've lived forever this way or if I just blinked and am learning all over again. It's a crazy ride.

I love that you are living out your dream. Horses are such a great way to ground oneself, I'm so glad you have such a loyal friend in Vinnie!

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Congratulations:D

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Thank you for your kind words:cwds:.

It certainly is a crazy ride. Some days, I can't believe it has been 5 years. I do still, on occasion, reminisce on the prediagnoses days. However, I can say, I am truly a much happier, much more driven person now then I was then. Whether diabetes created that, I don't know. However, I wouldn't wish to go back to those days.

Horses are wonderful creatures. I do truly believe they have been a large part on helping me get through the 'learning curve' of diabetes. I ride with an incredibly supportive 'barn family' who all look out for me, and help when/if needed. I don't know what I would do without them, and the Vinnie...even if he can be a ham on occasion! LOL

Thank you! :cwds:

5. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Happy 5 year diaversary! Hope it was a great one in New Mexico! Here's to wishing you many many more great years!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Beautiful photo of you and Vinnie :cwds:

Congratulations!

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Congratulations! I am an adult diagnosed as a teen and i know how much work went into the T1 stuff and having grown up around horses-just a bit- and having known "horse" people I know the work that went into your accomplishment. You and your horse look truly beautiful and radiant. Love the photo. Ali