- advertisement -

5 years and 4 months, to the day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

That is how long Emma has had diabetes. She has had her ups and down - super highs and pretty daggone low lows. She's learned to count carbs, check her BG, dose herself, treat lows, etc.

Until today - she had never had a seizure.

Today she had one.

She had had what's become a typical day over the past few weeks of going to baseball tournaments that we've had. She had a normal dinner time but dessert around 9:30pm at a party we went to. She was bolused for that. That was the last bolus for the day.

She was low a couple of times overnight but by 6am was back up over 100.
    She got up at 8:30 or so. She was a bit low - 55 - but not unusually low. Hubby was going downstairs to feed her breakfast. She went to get clothes out of the dryer to get dressed and fell down. Hubby picked her up and took her to the chair in the family room. She was awake but not responding. She wouldn't take juice so I pulled out a glucagon and mixed it and gave 5 units with a regular syringe - I didn't resort to the mongo syringe since she was awake, just disoriented. She was a bit responsive by the time I gave the glucagon. A few minutes after that he took her back to lay down on her bed. She drank a little juice after that. I checked her 10 minutes later and she was up to 95 and 15 minutes after that up to 200. Its 1 hour after that now and she's back down to 155 and complaining of the stomach ache that I knew was coming with the glucagon.

She doesn't remember what happened and was still having bouts of disorientation 20-30 minutes after She's resting now because she feels like crap.

My heart was racing.

Again, its been 5 years and 4 months. She's had lows in the 30s before and been completely lucid. She doesn't often feel her lows. But, she checked when she got up and was 55 - not 5 minutes before - so that's what's most surprising. It had also been almost 12 hours since her previous bolus and we haven't made any basal changes in a while. And yesterday's activity level was no different than it had been recently - pretty active, with a quiet period in the middle of the day.

So, this came out of freakin nowhere and we have no idea why. I did learn that I need to better educate my husband but I know he didn't jump to the glucagon. And, he didn't know it needed to be pre-mixed (hello, were you at the same training 5 years ago that I was). He didn't know he didn't have to use the big syringe, but I can't blame him for that because I learned that here, and in 5 years, have never had to use it.

We have now.

I typically don't carry glucagon with me. Its getting carried now. :eek:

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, how scary! I'm really sorry that this happened, but glad she's okay. Good job staying calm and doing what needed to get done!

We usually don't carry glucagon either, but you have me rethinking that.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Very scary! Good job to mom and dad for thinking quickly.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry, that sounds so scary. :( You have me rethinking glucagon arrangements as well (maybe I should train more people on how to use it?).

Any chance she could have gotten gluten at some point yesterday? Just a thought, as it sounds like she had a few lows.

5. Nancy in VA

Emma: I don't think she got any gluten. She was with my husband most of yesterday because I had baseball activities (he and I are heavily involved with Little League and its tournament season, so we have been at the baseball field A LOT). I fed her breakfast of gluten-free bread and sausage and milk. They had lunch at home and he got her dinner at 5:30 before he came to the game last night and it was just a salad, and not a ton of carbs to boot. She went a little low from dinner but treated the low and then I "felt" I underdosed her dessert, which was just a hot fudge Sunday. Came home and went straight to bed. She wasn't really in a lot of positions to each gluten without us knowing - she sometimes is but wasn't yesterday or really even the day before.

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I'm having heart palpitations just reading this!! So scary!! Glad you were able to stay clam and get her treated.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

oh Nancy, I'm so sorry.

I know you say your heart was racing but your telling of it sounds very calm. That comes with the years you've been doing this. Kudos to you for knowing what you had to do when it needed to be done.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow Nancy, this really hits home for me. My son is also usually very lucid at low-lows. Kudos to remaining calm and collected. I most definitely am going to get out that expired glucagon today and practice. Like you, we've never had to use one in 5+ years...

And don't be too hard on your hubby -- considering the situation, I think you both handled things extremely well! :cwds:

9. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

That is so scary, I'm so sorry for her and you; thank goodness you acted quickly.
    Thank you for the reminder about the glucagon.

Hoping today is better for all of you!!

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

The disorientation is completely normal and can last for a few hours until the brain recovers from the lack of glucose. Coco has had seizures from sudden drops down and a seizure from sitting at 50-60 for an hour. Both are so hard on their bodies and brains.

I am glad you had the forethought to give a small dose of glucagon, or to even give it at all. Make sure you run her around 150 for two days, per our endo after a seizure. And they will probably want to know about it as well.

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Ditto.

After T's first seizure they did a neuro workup to ensure it wasn't epilepsy.

Sorry you had a scare.

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Scary for everyone! Glad the family all swung into action and hope she will be back to her normal self soon. Good reminder to always be ready...my DS was LO out of the blue last night and seemingly walking/talking fine--just never can know. Hugs to all of you today.

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Big hugs...my worst fear.....hope she is doing better...

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I read that, and I read it again... how do you know she had a seizure? I've had four episodes where I was awake but really disoriented (didn't recognize my parents and/or had bizarre delusions) while my blood sugar was in the 30s or 40s and as far as I know, those weren't seizures.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I was wondering if she had an actual seizure too? Or a collapse? The one time that we used Glucagon, Rachel just wouldn't wake up - no seizure though.

Not that it isn't less scary... I hope she feels better now :cwds:

16. Nancy in VA

I'm pretty certain it was a seizure because of the way her head was jerking. Her eyes were open but her head was jerking around. It was different than being "not focused" - its like she wasn't in her body at that time. Her eyes looked "vacant". And, she peed all over herself - her bladder completely emptied.

She doesn't remember what happened this morning. She remembers getting up and checking her BG and knowing she was 55. She told me that she felt a lot lower than that, which is interesting - I wonder if her liver had already kicked in at that point and the 55 was on the way up. But, she doesn't remember being in the laundry room. About 30 minutes later, when I was trying to get her undies and sweat pants changed, she was still disoriented. She kept thinking she'd put her undies in the hamper and the pair on the floor was clean and tried to put them in her dresser. This was about 45 minutes after the episode.

We've been running her high. She didn't eat breakfast after the episode. Her stomach was completely upset within an hour from the glucagon. She had a piece of toast for lunch which we underdose, but she was still 90 after 2 hours, even with a 30% reduced basal, so we're running her at a 50% reduced basal right now. She was pretty high after dinner so we did a correction but we've left her basal at 50% reduced right now so her liver can replenish.

I'll probably call into the CDE tomorrow to discuss it with her. Had she not started responding pretty quickly, I would have called 911, but like I said, I think her liver had started kicking in a bit on its own because she was a bit more "there" when I gave her the shot of Glucagon than she had been a few minutes earlier when we tried to give her juice.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Very scary! Glad she's OK.

18. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

So sorry your daughter went through this. It just isn't fair. I hope you can relax a bit after such a scary ordeal.

19. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Got it, that makes sense.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sorry to hear that, Nancy. I hope she's feeling better.