- advertisement -

5 Year old just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by MomTo4Girls, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

Hi Everyone, my 5 year old daughter just had the blood test for celiac and the doctor called to let us know the test came back VERY positive. I don't know numbers at this time but he said to go Gluten free immediatly. We will be meeting with our GP next week but I was wondering what we should do in the mean time?

Should we get her a GF toaster? We have already given her her own butter and jam... What other changes might I not think about? We have made all her food GF. I am not really concerned in that regard as I cooked GF for 6 months already when we thought she was just sensitive to Gluten...

Did your whole family go GF? Or just the child? I was going to make all of food that we eat together gluten free so that she feels like she isn't any different.

I am used to bringing her special food when we go to birthday parties. Last night we found out that sour cream and onion chips were gf and she was thrilled!

Thanks for your help,

Kate

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Things might be affected by what the GI tells you -- should you decide to go with the biopsy (you don't *have* to, as recent studies suggest that bloodwork that is very, very high is indication enough), you'd have to put your child back on gluten or risk skewing the test results and getting a misdiagnosis.

We did get a separate toaster oven -- my husband is still able to consume gluten and he uses our old one. The new one is for us. You'll need to replace any scratched teflon pans or gunky utensils. For most other things, your dishwasher will destroy the gluten.

Good luck!

And ask as many questions as you'd like here -- we're always happy to share our experieces with foods and products and the whole GF world.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

Thanks so much! I am hoping we can avoid the biopsy... She is so tiny and is terrified of needles etc. enough already. I will have to see what they say.

Realized today that we need crumb free relish... everyone puts it on their buns and then dips back into the jar!

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We try and purchase squeeze bottles for everything we can -- less chances of cross-contamination that way.

Then any "glutenous" eaters have to learn the scoop and plop method of getting food out of jars.

There was a study that came out in August 2009 that says the bloodwork can be enough to get firm diagnosis. I'll try and find that for you, but I found it through a simple Google search before -- try there.

5. bleaton

bleaton Approved members

Hi, my son was just diagnosed too. We are in the process of switching everything over for him.

We have decided to just put Christopher on the diet since the rest of us are fine. It would cost us a fortune to put everyone on the same diet. We are a family of six.

Good luck.

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We use a toaster oven & use a special tray to toast things for Danielle.

7. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

We have a dedicated toaster for our daughter. Plus, we bring another dedicated toaster for her when we travel.

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi,

Good luck on your gluten-free journey. Since you'll be having a mixed house (GF and NGF), there are some things you'll need to consider...

A Day in the Life: Living in a Mixed House - http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/living_in_a_mixed_house.php