- advertisement -

5 months in...summer advice?!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by diabetesgrlsxoxo, Jun 13, 2009.

1. diabetesgrlsxoxo

diabetesgrlsxoxo Approved members

Hey everyone my name is Alyssa and I was dx with diabetes on December 31st 2008. So I have only had diabetes for 5 months. :( So I am pretty new at this. I'm 15 and our school just got out. I am super excited for summer vacation...but...at the same time pretty scared. This will be my first summer with D. Do you guys have any advice? Should I carry my meter and everything with me everywhere even if I'm just running around the neighborhood?? I am always running around with friends. Also my doc is switching me to Novlog on Monday (before I used Apidra). Will anything change with that?? Should I talk to my doc about lowering my basal (Lantus) or bolus to make up for running around?!

Basically ANY summertime advice is good. I am on MDI so I dont have to worry about pumps or anything. Thanks SO much!!

Alyssa

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, I would take your meter (and definitely, definitely glucose) everywhere. It sucks, but you'll get used to having a bag with you. If I'm just popping out for 5 or 10 minutes and I've only just tested, I will occasionally not bring my meter but I ALWAYS have glucose tabs because lows can hit fast. If I were you I'd just lower the insulin if you start seeing lows, because it's difficult with MDI to know exactly how much to drop it by.

But I've only had 2 summers with this, so I expect there'll be some people who can give you better advice.

3. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Ahhh summer. What a lovely season. Except when you fry your insulin in the heat. That's happened to me several times. Make sure that when you are going to be outside for a long time that you keep your insulin cold. I usually put in in a lunchbox or something with an ice pack. Once it gets too hot, it's useless. Other than that, I would definetley say to keep your meter and stuff with you all the time, and to have food with you. Other than that, enjoy your summer! :)

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I always have a meter with me, and if there's room in the case, stick some tabs or skittles or something in there, that way you don't have to carry around separate stuff. Like Emma said, sometimes lows can happen REALLY fast. And, like Emma, I've only had 2 summers of this too, so hopefully those who've had D longer than us will chime in soon.

5. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

This is my 2nd summer with D. If your running around being active, you should have a meter and some sort of sugary food with you. Im pretty active and when im outside playing basketball or some other thing I can feel my bloodsugar dropping. Its weird. Sometimes I ignore it until I can't concetrate to play(bad idea). Your BG can drop really really fast. 15 minutes of playing can bring it down to 60. Before going outside I usually eat something extra but it still ends up dropping.

6. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

first of all, WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    well, i guess i'm the *oldest* one here....
    i've had D since summer '04, so this is my.....geez, 6th?! i thought it was my 5th.......:rolleyes:. anyway............
    -check you blood sugar before you go outside or exercise.
    -pay attention to who your with and how much you drop. i have a few friends that really make me drop and i have to take less insulin when i'm around them(for example, i was...300ish and talked on the phone with one of my gal pals who does this to me and when i got off i was 150ish....!). you'll be spending more time than normal with these people during the summer so if you can identify people who have this affect on you then you can plan better and spend less time low.
    -these bags are really great, i've had mine 5 years and it still looks almost brand new. if you're just going for a run around the neighborhood or something, not going overly far from home(like within 5 minutes driving.) then you can make a mini-med kit to take. small meter(one touch ultra mini or something like that), pricker, alcohol swabs, etc for testing, glucose tabs and a cell phone or walkie talkie(this is so if you have trouble you can contact someone and let them know.).
    -when you're exercising a lot try to eat carbs that go out farther paired with protein like crackers and cheese, granola and yogurt, etc.
    -talk to your endo, educator or mom/dad about how many carbs to take for how long you're exercising. like, how many to take for half an hour if you're in range, a bit low, a bit high, etc.

i hope that helps some, be sure and post if you have any more questions!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Advice?
    carry your meter with you everywhere. Glucose tabs or any kind of easy to eat sugar is good, like skittles,any kind of non chocolate candy ect.
    If you are with your friends all the time and they don't know that you have diabetes I would suggest telling them, just in case. You never know what can happen:(
    Be careful about insulin going bad in warm weather. I've never had it happen to me but I've heard about it. I'm sure that you will do fine. This is my first summer with pumping but not with diabetes:rolleyes: BE careful that your meter doesn't get too hot either or it might not work for a while. Test strips only work in a certain temperature range.
    You will figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Good Luck:)

8. Leah

Leah Approved members

When I go around my nieborhood I usually carry glucose, insulin (pump or needle), and some regular food. If you exersize, you can lower your temp basal, but don't turn it completely off because your body still needs insulin, so you should just eat more carbs. (Gatorade is good to help control BG):)

9. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

you shouldn't turn it off completely, but you can control your blood sugar with just temporary basals and food only if you under-compensate. sometimes we exercise to loose weight or try and control it(and i'm speaking from experience here:rolleyes::p!)and eating more carbs while you're doing that doesn't help!
    i do about -10% for light work or a short(<30 minute) walk, -20% for heavier work and longer walks, but it's really trial and eror to figure out what works for you......
    i know you don't always know ahead of time, but when you do know 30+ minutes in advance, checking your blood sugar and then starting your temp then will help you avoid more carbs(like if you start out low-ish or barely in range).
    how's summer been going so far for you?

10. diabetesgrlsxoxo

diabetesgrlsxoxo Approved members

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! My summer has actually been going VERY good (which is shocking me as I just figured things would be super different with D now but it really hasn't been) :D. I have only had 2 lows and really those weren't caused my summer issues but just "normal" D stuff *sigh*. But I have found a bag (one from the Jonas Brothers site :D ) and have all my supplies in there...my mom wants me to carry my meter, a snack, glucose tabs (YUCK!!!) and glycogen in it. Should I be carrying insulin in it just to run around the neighborhood or go to the neighbors house? My mom called our doc and the doctor said she felt that we didn't need to carry insulin because if I check and I'm high then I can just go home. So far, so good! How is your summer going?

11. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

if you're giving your self shots and are at your neighbor's house for a while, then i'd say take the insulin and skip the trip home, but it really depends on what you and your mom are comfortable with! here in florida, anything that keeps you inside is a good idea!
    do you really hate your glucose tabs? if you're super low subbing out might not be such a hot idea, but for most lows you could. we keep snack size bags of skittles on top of the fridge and in the medkit, they seem to work really well. airheads(the normal size ones) are 15cg, which is great and starbursts are 4cg each, just like tabs! try out some of your fave candy when you're low around the house and see how it goes!
    also, you might want to put some glucose gel into your bag, if you're a little out of it and can't/don't want to chew anyone can give you that, while the glycogen.....well, i wouldn't want my friends putting it into me:eek::rolleyes:!

hehe, well, my summers definitely turning out...interesting.....
    my mom is having surgery next wednesday(7-1). she's got breast cancer, has done chemo and this is the next step. so we're gonna be in the house alot, not doing a ton of stuff. but my little sister and i are staying with my best friend and his parents while she's having the surgery(my mom's parents are going to be at the hospital, but mom doesn't want us sitting around there ...), so that'll be good. he'll keep me glued together, which means i can keep Em together:eek:.
    so...that's me...what about y'all?