- advertisement -

3 Day CGMS Sensor approval!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, May 27, 2009.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

After struggling with insurance and being denied, all of a sudden our endo calls and says that he is approved to come in for the blind test of the CGMS! And that this will pave the way for insurance to pick up the CGMS in the future! I can't believe it! I am so excited sitting at my desk at work and busting out trying to find someone to say all this too. Of course they don't know about my son at work, so I have no one to tell! : ) So of course came right on here to announce it.

My son going on 14 is not too keen on having yet another device stuck to him. He already has the Animas Pump and only sticks it in his pocket and is not wanting to wear it outside for all to see. So I know that he is not going to want the huge Dexcom pager on him as well. I would let him wear the pager at home and night and let him be "free" during the summer days out playing with friends and then just sync it up when he gets home. is that doable even?

And I wonder when the Animas and Dexcom will make a product together that will work? They have some announcement about a partnering but don't know anything more. That is one of the reasons that I will be asking for the Dexcom so that we can keep our Animas pump. I invested to much supplies right now for the pump to go changing to mini-med.

Thoughts, comments and advice very welcome!

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Brad Necaise is your Animas rep , you should talk to him about the Animas/Dexcom pump release. The Dexcom does not save the data while away from the receiver. We have ours in a clear pump pouch. The Dexcom is much smaller than the DS my sons carry around in their pockets.;)
    Which insurance do you have?

3. mischloss

Hi Carol,

Yes I know Brad! Wow haven't spoken with him in a couple of years! We currently have BCBS of Georgia. They have been great so far with pump and all the supplies. We go through Value Medical for all the pump supplies (cartridges, insets, etc.). The nurse told me that Value Med would probably handle the CGMS supplies as well?

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Ahh, good to know. We may be switching to BCBS of Georgia. I think our endo has had no luck with them on sensors. So, they think that they will cover sensors now? That will be good news. Brad is playing some summer party , I think in June.
    It will be a Dexcom/Animas party.

5. mischloss

I think once we get passed the 3-day sensor numbers and the doctor can see what is going on, she will be making a recommendation to go on the CGMS which then would I think pave the way for the insurance company. But as you know with insurance, there is no guarantee.