- advertisement -

2ng grader with type1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momforu1, Oct 19, 2010.

1. momforu1

momforu1 Approved members

thinking of switching to a pump rather than injections

I am new to this forum and the whole diabetes. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1. Any advice on pumps and management? Her endo says she has to be hospitalized for the process for 2 days. She is going to be 8 years old. I am not sure if she is too young!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well, welcome to the forum. Anything specific you need advice on? My general advice is to read the forums, ask questions if you need to, vent complaints if you need to, and just hang out a bit.

ETA: Oh good, you added to your post. I'll respond in another post.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. momforu1

I am thinking of switching my daughter to a pump. She is currently on injections. I am nervous about the whole change that occurs. Any advice to using the pump and transitioning?

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Perhaps check out the pumping forum and ask your CDE and/or endo.

Zillions of people here pump and will be able to offer opinions.

5. momforu1

thank you! I am new to this and still checking out the site.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Welcome to the forums.. I don't think it necessary to be in the hospital for 2 weeks while starting a pump.. I don't know what they'd suggest that.. I haven't heard anyone else having to do that.. unless they were starting a pump from diagnoses for which they were already in the hospital.

you can search 'pump starts', you'll probably get a lot of great info... when we started pumping (4.5years ago) we were at the endo's office most of the day.. We went in, set up the pump, did a pump insertion, had lunch, came back, did a bg check to make sure everything was going well, hung around a bit more and then came home.

7. momforu1

I am so sorry! I meant to say that she has to be in the hospital for 2 days. Her endo said that she needs to be monitored. She was diagnosed in April and I am still new to diabetes and her management. I thank you for your response.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi and welcome.

My daughter, was diagnosed at 4 years, and 6 months later she was on a pump. So, no, your child is not too young, nor is being in the Honeymoon phase and issue either (we were at hookup).

We didn't have to go to the hospital. We went for pump evaluation appointments at the center and then Animas came and trained us in our home.

I have heard of some still doing it that way to get the basals (background insulin tailored to the time of day), but most have gotten away from that now.

Here's a good resource for comparing the pumps:
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/todays_pumps.php#axzz12opl2UpX

The most common in the US are the Animas, Medtronic and Omnipod.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

there are still lots of places that do require a hospital stay for pump starting. It's all a bit silly as adjusting pump settings in a clinical setting is far different than adjusting in the home setting, however, if you're brand new to diabetes and don't already know a lot about how insulin works in your child, then having an overnight stay to start pumping might be a good thing, IMO.

I'd just simply do a lot of research on what a pump is and what you're hoping to get from pump therapy. There is a wealth of information here on CWD already. :)

Good luck.

10. momforu1

Thank you for your information and link to searching for pumps and which one is best for our daughter!

11. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

We didn't require hospitalization for pump start and my little guy was 2 1/2 when he got his pump. Start reading "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. There's a ton of good info in it.

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

dd is 8, dx at 4, pumping at 6, cgm at 7. I found the boards when I started researching pumps and have been a regular poster and lurker ever since. :D

There's tons of pump info on the site and forums. Our experience was that dd had to meet with the nutritionist after we kept detailed food logs, with the social worker, I guess to make sure our expectations were in line, and the nurse, as well as send electronic meter reading logs. Basically, they wanted to make sure we were ready to handle this b/c it's a big responsibility. And they werent' going to prescribe it if dd was adament about not wanting it. Basically, they wanted to make sure she was on board, b/c it could be dangerous to say disconnect and go off without your pump if you are oppsed to wearing it.

Other than that we did pump school online, and the MM person came to our house for 2 hours to cover everything. We started on saline and she came back a week later and we went live with insulin. I've heard ppl who have to take hours of clases live or stay in the hospital. Others who meet with the pump rep and go live then and there. It's what you feel comfortable with and what your endo's procedures are. 2 days in lock up sounds excessive to me though.:confused:

13. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Hi, and welcome to the board! My dd was diagnosed at 6 1/2, and was pumping 3 months later. It was a life-changing decision! There was prep work ahead of time, but our actual pump start involved a 2-hour visit at the hospital for a class at which the rep from the pump company was there for the initial insertion. No overnight stay, and certainly not a 2-day stay! But I do understand that other places do it differently.

I'd second the recommendation to start reading Pumping Insulin- it's terrific. Another good resource is (whether you're pumping or not) is Think Like a Pancreas, by Gary Scheiner. You might also want to take a look at this completely biased argument in favor of pumping :cwds: : www.2betr.com.

As for figuring out which pump is the best choice for you, here's what you need to know: They're all good. They all deliver insulin. There are very few real differences between them (though there are a few). It largely comes down to personal preference. Your endo should be able to help you get your hands on the different pumps so that you can see how they work, and that really is the best way to decide. If your endo can't hook you up, you can contact the pump companies directly and they'll have their local rep get in touch with you to give you all the information you could ever want. If you have specific questions about the relative value of different features on the different pumps, the folks here on this board have a wealth of experience to help you sort through that.

Good luck!

14. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed in 2nd grade, she was still 7. She got the pump just after her 8th birthday and was definitely able to operate it well. We do the site changes, etc, although she can do most of the steps (after 2 years of pumping). There are great features about each of the different pumps, you definitely want to consult your endo/CDE and try to see each of the pumps before you decide.

15. KHM

KHM Approved members

We'll be starting our second-graders pump in early November. I'm not sure when your daughter was diagnosed but it sounds like the whole world is new to you and this pumping idea must be overwhelming. The idea of starting in the hospital might seem comforting.

Let me assure you: unless you're in a Children's Hospital with youw own pediatric endocrinologist overseeing things, you'll be the most qualified person to oversee the move pumping.

So obviously, no, I don't think your daughter is too young :) I think the only time-sensitive issue is your preparedness for it. The decision to pump should be all about you and your daughter and I hope you have the kind of endocrinologist that believes that as well.

Sorry you've had to join our club. But if you have to learn a lot about Type 1 Diabetes and/or need support, ,this is absolutely the best place for that. Welcome.

16. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

My baby started pumping at 2 1/2

It has been life changing for us and I can't say enough good things about pumping. It is by far the best decision I ever made in her care. But pumping is not the best for everyone, it is HARDER than shots for the primary care provider and not everyone experiences better control with a pump.

I pump CAN but does not neccesarly provide; a better quality of life, more flexbilty, more independance, and be easier for other care givers to use.

I think reading Pumping Insulin is a great idea. Then you can decide if your daughter would benifit from a pump.

Age is not really a factor. You will be the one running the pump. Your daughter may be able to learn to give hersefl insulin with the pump with supervision but it will be a LONG time before she can run a pump on her own.

17. Kateri's Mom

Kateri's Mom Approved members

My DD is 10 and we start pump classes this friday...we have to go to 3 different 2 hr sessions, then meet with the rep at the endo's office later (once all the paperwork is done). I was clueless when it came to diabetes. Kateri is the only one in my family that has it (even extended family) so I had to learn from square one! I waited until I was comfortable with the shots and the understanding of what I was doing when I would bolus or correct. She just had her 2 yr di-aversary the beginning of October. I still am scared to death to start on a pump but my dd is a grazer so I find her eating less since diagnosis since she would rather not eat than have a shot. She needs to feel normal again so I am all for learning from square one again to overcome my fears of a whole new insulin delivery. Plus she was apprehensive about it when we considered it a year ago so we waited until she was ready herself.

18. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Definitely not too young! Griffin has been pumping for 4 years and he will be turning 7 in November:)

I agree that all the pumps work well. You can look them all over and decide which best fits your needs. It was a game-changer for us.

GL!

Kirsten

19. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

hey ! welcome(though I'm sorry you have to be here)
    I am a teenager with diabetes and I have had d for 8 months. I am in the process of getting the animas ping right now, I have researched the pumps alot in trying decide which one to get. I don't think your daughter is to young. do you have any specific questions? oh you can go on youtube and look at people doing site insertion and talking about their pumps thats what I found very helpful.