- advertisement -

24Hrs into pumping & exhausted

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by XMumofType1aged8X, Nov 13, 2008.

1. XMumofType1aged8X

XMumofType1aged8X Approved members

Hey all,

Thought that it was about time that i posted to let you know whats going on

We arrived at the hospital at 9.30am yesterday (wed) & finally left at 1pm! The nurse wanted his #'s high so when he starting getting insulin it would drop, so Jack checked his #'s & he was 22 (396) :eek: She was happy because thats what she wanted! Anyway his #'s dropped & all was good (he was 12.8 (230) next he said he felt low so we checed & he was 2.0 (36) We treated it & it came up nicely, Jack was asked if he wanted something to eat so he has some ginger oat biscuits so we bolused him!

Straight from the hospital we went to Mc D's as Jack really wanted a Happy meal! His #'s were 9.6 (172) so he had chicken nuggets & chips (40grms of carbs) so his I:C ratio is 1:18 so he had a bolus of 2.2.

We checked again 2 hrs later & Jacks #'s were 10.1 (181) the nurse around 10 would be ok for now.

Every 2 hrs we have 2 check so we were due to check at 5pm but ended up checking at 5.30pm & guess what he was 3.5 (63) so we treated with 4 gluco-tabs (16grms)

Half an hr later Jack fancied a miniture corned beef pasti (8.6grms) followed by checking #'s at 7pm which were 8.7 (156). We gave 62.4grms of carbs & a bolus of 4.0u (i worked it out to give a bolus of 3.4 but we are using the bolus wizard so that estimated a 3.4 bolus with a small correction (nurse has set pump to aim for #'s around 6 (108)

2 hrs later at 9pm Jacks #'s were 4.2 (75) so we gave a 9grm of carb cookie with 1 gluco tab (4grms). We checked 15 mins later & he was 3.8 (68) so we treated with fast acting carbs as told to by the D nurse and at 10pm he was still only 3.9 (70). So we decided it was time to swallow our pride & call the nurse at home via her works mobile :eek:

She decided to change the basal rate (the 8pm one from 0.45 down to 0.35) So by the time we managed to get it sorted it was 10.30 pm we were all shattered but we had finally got Jack to 7.7 (138).

We woke him at 00.30am & he was 21.1 (379) :eek: so i started to panic! We have been told that Jacks ISR insulin sensivity ratio is 1 unit will lower #'s by 4mmol. So nurse had already told us to aim for a BG of around 10 so i gave a correction of 3 units? We thought that would lower him to around 9.4 (169) we didnt use the bolus wizard because as i said earlier she had set it to aim for a bg of 6mmol (we thought this may b a little low for nite time)

3 hrs later at the 3,30am check jacks sugars were 2.8 (50) WTH? So we traeted with 100ml of lucozade & 3 gluco tabs. re checke 15 mins later and he was 5.4 mmol (97) so we gave an extra 2 gluco tabs.

6am check Jack was 12.8 (230) so we left it as that because she said to leave it if under 14mmol (252)

8am check Jack was 5.3 (95) at last a better bg! We gave a snack less than 10grms so no bolus needed.

10am check #'s were 7mmol (126) yippee followed by 51.1 grms of carbs & a bolus of 3.0u ( i worked it out to be a bolus of 2.8u as did the wizard but it allowed a correction of 0.2 to aim for sugars to be back around 6mmol (108)

Well that was our night, hard flipping work & dreading going through it all again! What a horrible feeling being all on your own in the night & not sure what to do :eek:

Sorry for the long post guys!! Hope it makes sense because we r sooo tired!

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Oh, Kay, what a roller coaster for you guys!

I'm glad you're home and settling in and Jack seems happy as a clam... pasties and McD's Happy Meal -- Alex would gladly join him over a plate of either!

Don't forget to change your signature line -- you guys are pumping now (and how!!).

3. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Oh my, what a hard night. It does and will get a lot easier. (((HUGS)))

4. XMumofType1aged8X

XMumofType1aged8X Approved members

Thankyou both & i hope so :rolleyes:

5. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Hi! I wondered how you were going! Phew that is hard work.

Grace has been too high most of the time - the nurse is being cautious with the insulin but it's stressing me out as she is so fed up and cross and tired all the time. She just said wait a few days for it all to start working after a change of insulin. But this waiting is not fair on Grace!

I have done a site change but tomorrow I will have to change the insulin in the pump (whatever that's called) with the nurse's help.

Better go and see to my poor little girl!! Every time she gets a correction it barely helps as she's not getting enough insulin the next time either. But I guess that is less stressful than all the lows you've had - scary!

Layla xx

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The first few weeks are crazy on the pump.. its sometimes hard getting everything adjusted.. once you get it all worked out it'll be a lot easier.. As much as he's having ups and downs you are handling it very well:)

7. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Kay,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are doing a great job! (Big Pat on the back:D)

Keep us updated!

8. tracy true

tracy true Approved members

Hi Kay hope everything works out well for the both of you .

9. taximom

taximom Approved members

Kay,
    Honestly it sounds like you are doing very well. I know it's exhausting, but his numbers really don't sound that bad. That high was probably due to the McD's.....fat spike that kicks in later. If Ryan has french fries or anything greasy he always goes high in the middle of the night....never fails.
    And now that you lowered his basal, you probably will not see so many lows.

Did Jack like NOT getting a shot in the morning?

Keep up the good work Mum! You're doing fine!;)

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Kay,

Keep up the good job!:)
    You can do this, you know?;)
    How is Jack feeling? Is he wearing the pouch yet?
    And sleep....soooo highly overrated, Kay! You know what I.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  11. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

It gets better. We felt the same the first week. We've been pumping for a few weeks now and we only wake him once for checks. the first week is the worst.