- advertisement -

2 silly people

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shilpi235, Feb 18, 2010.

1. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

i am telling you about 2 silly people and their remarks, which made me so angry..
    one was principle of this school who i was talking on phone about admission process for the coming session.i didnt know her.i asked her about registration and fees and timings for the pre k for my daughter.then i told her my daughter has D.after this she put me on hold at least 10 times for around 30 mins saying that we have a nurse who comes once a week you need to talk to her before going fwd.she then said that one more kid is there but thats a very MILD case.her mother takes care of it.hearing this i told her that diabetes is not mild or severe its diabetes.
    the more she spoke the more i came to know tht its such an irony not only that principle of a big school has any information on it but also she has no common sense too.i dropped idea of putting my daughter in that school.she also said first talk to nurse then come for registration if she says yes.

another friend was trying to false console me for my daughter's D.she says that already you are in so much trouble.you cant give her everything to eat.you can only give her selected things.i told her to take some time out and read a bit about type 1 as she is on internet 14 hours a day..can people read somethng first and then talk to us.God i am tired of teaching these so called friends..

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, I dont blame you. I would not want my child in a school with an ignoramous like that either. You dont have to get the nurses permission to put your kid in there. If its a public school they of course have to provide services for your child. Mild diabetes:rolleyes: oh puhlease!!! What a dumb thing to say. If it wasnt so annoying it would be laughable. And your friend should take a few minutes to learn about type 1, she would understand that the way to comfort you is to find out more about it instead of making stupid uneducated comments like that. We get it in here of course:cwds:

3. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I had the same thing with the principal at the beginning of this school year when my DD went into Gr.K. The principal was telling about this one school she was at that had a child who had severe diabetes and how that child had diabetes very badly. I just looked at her and said nothing, but though Lady you didn't have a clue what you are talking about!

4. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

Is that like "a little bit pregnant" or a "mild case of brain cancer"?

I try to remain calm and understanding--after all, there was a day when those comments wouldn't have sounded so blatantly stupid to ME. What I can't stand is when you correct them, and they insist they're right--as if I couldn't possibly be informed about my own daughter's medical condition? That's right, that article in Reader's Digest in 1986 taught them all they needed to know. :rolleyes:

I mentioned on Facebook that T1 patients could actually eat sugar--in fact, they occassionally MUST have it. A "friend" went on and on about how "diatetic cookies" are the only ingulgence he's allowed... AFAIK, he's T2, and trying to lose weight. Even he's under the impression that the only difference between T1 and T2 is the age of the patient...

5. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

sometimes i feel very sad that will i be fighting all my life with these kinds of people at every step..one day at ymca other day at school some other time at sm other place..
    it gives me even more worries because i am an alien..

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Ughhhhhh....I can relate...we all can! It seems we all have these so called "others" who dont get it or take it upon themselves to open their mouths and stick their foot in it when it comes to making comments about type 1..that make no sense! And sadly, they are usually people close to us or people we deal with a lot..Im sorry this happened to you..we need a list of whitty comebacks on here ..a thread...on how to react to "the others"..when they say dumb things..

7. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

Alrighty.. I have a few for you all...

How about my mother in law! Just after my daughters dx my husband was on the phone with her explaining everything and what we had to do. She (being an RN with type 2) tells him he's just being dramatic! SHEEE has diabetes, and shes supposed to check her sugar everyday. BUT sometimes she only checks it 3 times a week and shes perfectly fine. I mean.. really? We havent talked to her in over 3 weeks, its pointless.

Or how about some of my 'friends'. "well.. how are you gonna get her to lose weight??? Shes only a toddler!" Yeah we're gonna hit the gym 3 times a day.

Or the one that REALLLLY burns me up. My great grandmother. "Its all your fault. Ive told you and told you! You let her eat all those sweets, I knew this was going to happen!"

The worst thing about D.. ive lost so many friends and family.. mostly bc theyre so damn ignorant, its not worth the fight anymore. I have enough sh*T in my life just dealing with D, I dont need it from everyone else.

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I didn't know that cookies could get diabetes. LOL
    Anyway, I don't eat those kind of foods labeled for people with diabetes. They usually have sugar alchohols and way more carbs than regular cookies. I think I will stick with regular food.

9. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Wow and here I thought I was the only one who caused my sons diabetes by letting him eat too many sweets! ;)

Since going on the pump in December I've become more of a "package reader" and I'm amazed at how many more carbs the sugar-free stuff has in it compared to the regular, not to mention the added cost! With all the snow here in PA we've been drinking a lot of hot chocolate and there is a difference even in something simple like that. The diet is actually less carbs than the sugar free.

10. Toni

Toni Banned

The schools are going to have to be educated by you and a 504 Plan put in place... each new school, even in the same school system. Sometimes you have to reconvene the 504 when other issues arise or if the school is not fully compliant. In addition, you will probably have to educate individual teachers even with a 504 in place. But it is better to find a school with a principal you feel understands and even better a school nurse on site more often. The food comments..... don't think you will ever get away from those... Those types of comments will keep occurring. One way I shut them up is to point out that all carbs raise blood sugar. We watch everything she eats.... every slice of bread, every piece of fruit. Sometimes I mention the study that shows that a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting raises blood sugar just as quickly and the same amount as unbuttered bread (equivalent amount of carbs, of course). I like to see the look of shocked incredulity and disbelief on their faces sometimes.... just for the heck of it.