advertisement

1st year of college

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Volleyball_Chick_15, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

I am starting college in the Fall. i am taking 13 hours of classes along with working a part time job and i have a boyfriend. I am worried that i'm going to get wrapped up in everything and forget to test and bolus. Do yall have any advice on how to maintain school and also still take care of my D?

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

One thing that helps me at times is having alarms set on my phone. That way if I'm out and about, I have my phone with me, and I can have reminders to check, eat, bolus, etc.

3. The_Pumpslayer

The_Pumpslayer New Member

honestly, if you have been able to do it throughout highschool with all the craziness you will be fine. if you are very worried invest in a CGMS (dexcom G$ rules) and it helps. But overall you should be fine

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm starting College in the fall too=)

5. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

I will also be starting college in the fall. Good luck :)

6. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I would recommend phone alarms, too. We have alarms on my phone for site changes and sensor changes. His pump alarms for missed boluses at each main meal part of the day and bedtime snack, so I think he has four missed bolus alarms. Even if he doesn't eat at that time.

7. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Volleyball_Chick_15:

The short answer, if you don't take care of the D, it WILL remind you (as it does all of us) with all kinds of immolation, and nasty teeth. Think burnt marshmallow times a thousand :eek: It does not suffer our indifference for too long...

Are you REALLY gonna forget to cover with insulin.... really!??!?! Once in a while not testing, ok sure, maybe... but once you remember, do it, and try not to make a habit of it.

Have you forgotten in the recent past??? If we do the D dragon bites us pretty freely, and we remember pretty fast.