- advertisement -

1st day at high school~ freshman :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Omo2three, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Amb started school today....as a freshman. We don't have nurses at our school, but the faculty and I met with her 504plan in place. I thought our meetings went well. Amb usually can manage her d on her own, and can feel her lows so that helps tremendously.

At my meeting I gave a one gallon bag filled with diabetic supplies. One lady asked is her D that serious? I looked at her and asked what do the other diabetics bring to school? She said just an extra meter....they have juice and soda for them. I replied..this is just the basics and every item is needed...I am shocked other students don't bring insulin? Maybe they store it in their locker? my dd is really very independent in her D care, these are extras just incase, the pump insets could get bumped and need to be replaced or she could run out of insulin and forget to change it at home.

Please tell me if this supply list is : too much?
    extra tester, extra strips, glucagon kit, syringes, (2)insets and (2)cartridges, batteries, insulin, ketone strips, alcohol wipes, iv prep, glucose tablets.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is what my son has at school. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Sounds similar to what was in my one gallon bag for my daughter who is a senior this year.

Substitute skittles for glucose tabs, add 2 granola bars, subtract alcohol wipes and IV prep.

It would be a lot less stuff if she wasn't pumping. Maybe the other kids don't pump and carry their own insulin pens.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Absolutely not too much! I sent insulin pen, meter, strips, skittles, juice boxes, smarties, gluc tabs, pb crackers, a box alchol wipes... and every classroom has an emergency baggy as well with juice box, smarties, skittles, one pk pb crackers...he is a freshman as well... we are 8 months into this...I think he can be more independent with his care, I just need to learn to give him wings to do it. :(

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

My list is the same...no gallon bag, plastic shoe box : )

6. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

You never know what might happen at school.

It's not like she can hop in her car and come home to get a new site or more insulin or run over to Walgreen's for batteries or even go to the vending machine for a snack. They have so many rules at school that they aren't allowed to be responsible on their own.

So you have to have all supplies there for any potential problem that might come up.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD starts high school in a week! :)

She hasn't had too much (aside from glucagon) at school in the past - so I'm thinking your list has some good ideas in it.. :cwds:

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

My kids always carry a backup meter, and strips ,batteries,and emergency sugars, and keep extra insertion sets in their lockers. We do NOT keep insulin or glucagon at school . Ketone strips are carried in the backpack usually.....kids also leave a juice box in each class and school secretary always has extra juice and snack available (There are only 140 kids in the school so it is physicaly small) All teachers are required to sign off on signs, symptoms etc of lows.highs and when to call for help. Kids always carry cell phones and have permission to use them when needed. As they are both independent in their D care i don't have too many concerns - .

9. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

We add little boxes of juice, but they usually stay in her locker. If anything ever went wrong, eg. my car broke down..., it is good to know dd can be independant. Just peace of mind!

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

All the school have ever kept for me is spare glucose. I carry glucose, a spare meter, insulin pen, infusion set and reservoir in my bag with me. It's possible that other students have the same things, just carry them with them.

11. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

How many parents or students like to stash extra glucose in all the class rooms for HS?

I was thinking skittles as a glucose source might disappear fast....too good:p

I may be going a bit overboard, but then again my feeling is she needs stuff on her at all times esp glucose/ sugar. She does carry glucose, glucagon, meter, strips, and bars on her. There have been isolated events where the students needed to stay at the school during extreme weather or leave during fake bomb threats. The office carries extras, and her locker has extras...and she carries basic meter and glucose stuff....being prepared is good...D kids are normal healthy kids as long they have extra food, water, and insulin.

She needs to be able to drink water and they are told in each class absolutely no drinking or eating....and Amb is a rule follower....I keep reminding her that is for the kids without D. You need to drink water and eat when needed. If any teachers have trouble with this...I will have a personal meeting with them. I have sent a letter to each teacher....so they have a heads up.

the other day her alarms went off, pump suspended during a low in science class, and students started coughing...thinking it was her cell phone. friends were trying to protect her...very sweet. It will get old soon....maybe put it on vibrate...does anyone else do that?

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have my pump on vibrate. I don't want to disturb everybody else in the class with alarms, especially now I'm on CGMS.

About the glucose, I generally keep cake icing and glucose tabs in my bag at all times.. that way I won't eat them just because I'm hungry.

13. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

My daughter is only 1 year younger and I would absolutely have all those things stored at the school for backup, just in case. And! she'll probably end up needing it at some point.

Two weeks ago I had to drive Lantus out to her (she was sleeping at a friend's house) because her pen was too low.

Last week we were at a restaurant and she discovered her Novalog pen didn't have enough insulin in it to cover her full bolus. (She's usually in the 90s; we let her run up to about 140 that afternoon.)

Hey she's a kid. These things are going to happen. (It's also partly my fault for not checking, but that's another story... :rolleyes:)

14. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Ryan carries most of that stuff with him...they don't see it.

15. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi carries her stuff, but there is also stuff in the Nurse's office.

She was almost out of insulin in her pump one day last week (2 units left @ lunch time) and she went to the nurse because she thought she still has insulin in the nurse's fridge from last year but she must have brought it home. So I told her that she would probably be OK since she was headed to PE and to just let it give her the final two units as basal and we'd deal with a high if it happened, but I guess PE was enough to cover her gatorade and PB & J.

But back to the original issue, she has the following in the nurse's office:

Test strips, extra meter, ketone strips, insulin, glucagon and glucose tabs.

She carries with her or has in her locker:

Fruit snacks, juice, meter, strips, insets, a reservoir, & another glucagon (its a HUGE school and can take over 5 minutes to get to the front office area from some parts of the school)

She also has juice in the fridge in the Gym teacher's office and has put fruit snacks in her gym locker.

16. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

At our schools they routinely throw out supplies from the previous year. I learned that from when she was being treated for her asthma.