- advertisement -

14yr old DD hard to wake up

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by moobw, Oct 5, 2012.

1. moobw

moobw New Member

My 14yr DD is so hard to get our of bed in the mornings....is this a common thing with diabetes?? She always seems so lethargic and takes a good 15-20 minutes to get her to get up!! This causes so much tension in my house of a morning, as my DH (her StepDad) gets quite cranky with me as he feels that I let her get away with it....I guess I do because I feel sorry for her, like she can't help it!! We also have her twin sister and my DH's son who is 8 and DH feels like I don't cut them any slack, so T1 14yr old should be treated the same. I'll admit I do let her get away with more (although this morning I had a bit of a yelling match with her) because I figure the other 2 children we have don't have to do all the crap that she has to do!! DH feels more like it's her trying to get away with everything, and just do what ever the hell she wants to do and I just allow it!!

She was diagnosed 2 years ago. Sometimes I wish she had gotten it a lot younger so she wouldn't know a life any different! She is still so cranky about having to take her hypo kit wherever she goes, still cranky everytime I ask her to test, bolus etc. She was cranky this morning because I made her eat an english muffin for breakfast before she went to her friends house for the day! She hates having to eat when she's not hungry!

I just wish I could take it from her and have it myself so she didn't have to even think about any of it!! :(

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think it's more of a teenage thing than a diabetes thing, unless her blood sugars have been particularly whacky overnight.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My kid has always been this way. I'm not a morning person either. When she was younger I'd just build extra time into the morning schedule. I'd wake up, wake her up, then go take a shower. Come back and check on her. Get dressed then get her up and going. She also doesn't want to chat in the morning either. She gets up, gets dressed has a glass of milk and off she goes.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I agree with it being a teen thing. My daughter (13) gets up, but she's really slow moving. Because of that, she has to get up at 5:30, and that gives her an hour to get ready. But she'll easily sleep for at least 12 hours on the weekend. Perhaps your daughter needs an earlier bedtime.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

It's called being 14...

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Agreed. I would also rethink going easier on her than your other kids because of D. They are going to resent her and you, and it's also obviously causing issues with your husband. She's a teen, if she wasn't cranky about D, she'd be giving you fits about something else.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What insulin regimen is she on? There are plenty of ways to manage diabetes where you don't have to force food.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When is she going to bed?

9. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

Tristan had always been a good sleeper up until he got sick, but always got up right away. Ever since we got insulin in him though, he's really hard to get up in the mornings. It's scary sometimes. I now have to start the process a half hour to forty-five minutes before he should be up. He is usually on the low side in the mornings so I think that is why. What are her bg's in the am?

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I think it is a personality. Unless there is a trend of BG numbers out of range.

My DD is not a morning person and I have a routine to get her moving. I check on her and nudge her till I get signs of life. She controls this with a mind set to at least wiggle. I take my shower as I get out I holler the time and remind when we are headed out the door. I finish getting ready and check on her again. this time i test her if she is not up. if up we are on track. I started on non school days with same early routine to build routine on non-school day. I then left and went shopping or did something she might have enjoyed. if she was not up and ready at walk out time she stayed home and a friend or family member helped check on her on the non-school days. I hated getting up but now our weekdays go smoother. She hated missing the non-school day fun. She could also earn not having to practice on Saturday if all 5 days went smooth. Otherwise we return to Saturday no peace morning from 6 Am on.

I also think this could be my child's way of having control in her life when she feels life is out of her control. So I let her control it but within the household boundaries.

11. skimom

skimom Approved members

YOur daughter is being a typical 14 year old and diabetes has nothing to do with it IMO. What I did was give my kids a 10 minute warning, then when it was time, they had to get up and put their feet on the floor. THeir beds were then made right away either by them or me ( if time was an issue)...no discussion or negotiating period.If they were not ready for school on time,too bad - they went as is.We did lunches etc and laid out clothes the night before under the guise of having an extra 10 minutes of sleep the next day ( which in actuality removed one or two more stress points in the morning for all). If it was a non school day and it was ok to sleep in, I would check their BG and make them treat and or eat if necessary . Otherwise they had to be up by 11 am at the latest.
    If your daughter can't get ready in the time alotted, get her up earlier. SHe will learn really fast to get ready on time.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Just feel compelled to say that as the parent of a 14 year old who was dxd at 4 there isn't anything that I wouldn't give to have my dd have her years 4-12 without diabetes. And if you think my dd doesn't know, isn't reminded each and every day as she watches her friends live a non-D life, that her life is different, and not in a good way, then you are really not thinking that through.

I know you didn't mean it to be insensitive and oblivious, but it was.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Excellent advice.

14. moobw

moobw New Member

Sarah Maddies Mum.....my apologies! No I didn't mean to sound insensitive! I was just a little upset when I posted and I guess I just often wonder would she be able to deal with things easier if she had had it for longer!! But, I am sorry if I offended you as that certainly wasn't my intention!

Thanks for all the responses and advice!! We are due to see the educators late this week so will certainly be having a chat to them! I'm also thinking that she and I would benefit from seeing a counsellor!! I am struggling coming to terms with it all and it's been 2 years already!!!!

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I wasn't offended - I just think you should not wish that your dd had been dx'd younger than she was. As far as I'm concerned, every day they got to live free from Type 1 is a plus.

16. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My almost 14 year old hates getting up in the morning, and asks for 5 more minutes as many times as I try to wake him up....I now start waking him up 15 minutes before he actually has to be up, then I am able to give him his 5 more minutes....eating breakfast in the morning is a big challenge...he HATES eating in the morning...some mornings all I can get him to eat is a granola bar or a gogurt....not ideal, but I pack him a big lunch in hopes that it makes up for his small breakfast.

My son hates having to carry "his diabetes stuff" too, also lacks in the testing area when out and about..unfortunately having his meter and fast acting carbs are non-negotible and if he wants to go and hang out with his buddies then he MUST bring his "stuff" with him and he MUST test when I text him to remind him.

I try to help by carrying his stuff when he is with me and doing all of his diabetes care when he is around me. His only break from doing his care comes from me, and I need to give him a break whenever possible. (I try to remember what "my" break feels like when he is away for the weekend with friends and realize in all reality he has no break and they must suck!)

I think that what your daughter is going through is typical teenage stuff and fortunately for her, she has spent more years with diabetes than not, and for that you should be thankful:cwds:

17. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I never had any problems getting up in the mornings when I was a teen, nor do I now. My sister however, who is not a diabetic, as a teen didn't want to get up.

Both my children are non diabetics. My daughter went to bed late and got up early with no complaints. My son, it didn't matter when he went to bed. He wanted to sleep, sleep, sleep. That drove me batty:D

So it's nothing to do with being a diabetic.

18. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

19. Sarahsmom

Sarahsmom Approved members

Totally agree with this. No slack for having diabetes because I do not want my daughter to think she gets special treatment. We check, we treat, we move on. If anything my daughter is even more active than her siblings were and she has a lot more responsibility, for which I am thankful because she will always have this huge responsibility for her health that my other kids don't have.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My 14yr DD is so hard to get our of bed in the mornings....is this a common thing with diabetes??

No, but it's common with tweens, teens. My 11 year old is impossible to get moving in the am.
    We also have her twin sister and my DH's son who is 8 and DH feels like I don't cut them any slack, so T1 14yr old should be treated the same.

I am the mother of twin 11 year olds. They both get treated the same.

I'll admit I do let her get away with more (although this morning I had a bit of a yelling match with her) because I figure the other 2 children we have don't have to do all the crap that she has to do!!
    IMO, this is just setting the others up for resentment. You need to step back and say, "would you do this if diabetes wasn't involved?" Yes, she does have extra to do, but that doesn't give her a free pass to get away with stuff. It stinks but it is what it is.
    She was diagnosed 2 years ago. Sometimes I wish she had gotten it a lot younger so she wouldn't know a life any different!

Trust me, you wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy. My daughter was diagnosed at 4, she doesn't remember. It's not a memory I look fondly back on.

She is still so cranky about having to take her hypo kit wherever she goes, still cranky everytime I ask her to test, bolus etc. She was cranky this morning because I made her eat an english muffin for breakfast before she went to her friends house for the day! She hates having to eat when she's not hungry!
    She's cranky because her mother is constantly reminding her to do this. It's the age. Just keep reminding her because it will eventually stick. You are setting her up to be responsible about her care.
    What regimen is she on? You probably can come to some sort of compromise on the eating depending on the plan you're on.