- advertisement -

14 yr old girl, typ1 and colieac - 4 months diag.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pepper1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

My 14 year old daughter was diag. with type 1 four months ago, she has also been colieac for 2 years. This makes everything much harder for carb counting and trying to find edible appropriate products, esp in Southland, N.Z.

I have also had a gustful of well wishers, and "know all's" who's great Uncle has type 2 dia etc.

Have had some great support from other Mums with type 1, managed to find about 6 of them.

But hard to find a teenager in the same boat with both conditions.

Anyone else over the whole thing???

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Oh- Pepper1 - we must know the same people - with the same great Uncle! LOL! Sorry you have been through the mill! Southland isn't the most cosmopolitan of places - I guess you do a lot of homebaking! You have done well to find 6 good women for you - hope you find a teen for your daughter! Sorry I don't know anyone yet! Will let you know if I do.;)

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

If you join the NZ/Aus mailing list and introduce yourself here I'm sure you'll find some other teenagers out there with coeliac and D.
    I bet its cold down your way! Raining here tonight so no frost tomorrow :cool:

4. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

My 16 year old daughter has had D since she was 7, and cannot eat gluten grains. Her celiac test was negative, but a GF diet has "fixed" her digestive problems. She finds it harder to be GF than to have D, "maybe because I don't remember not having D".

Deborah

5. MelStan

MelStan Member

Hi Pepper1
    Welcome! It's great to see you posting here :cwds:
    Hopefully others who are dealing with celiac on top of D will chime in here too. There are quite a few here who are dealing with both.

I don't think there is one of us on this board who isn't 'over' all this ;)
    So jump in and vent away as often as you need to, because everyone here gets it.

As you know, I'm really sorry that you've a need to be here, but I'm grateful to have found a friend in you, and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person soon :D

6. carcha

carcha Approved members

Hi Pepper1, my 12 year old daughter has had celiac for several years now, and type 1 for almost 1 year. I have found that we eat rice and rice pasta and have slowly moved away from the gluten free cookies and breads and things that don't necessarily taste that good and are quite expensive. For sweets we have ice cream and candy (in moderation) because these things are generally gluten free and don't have to be purchased in a special store or anything. Also, are you able to purchase things from Amazon.com? They are a good source of gluten free products, but I'm not sure if they deliver to your part of the world.

Yes, the people who have a grandma and six uncles with diabetes can really get to you. The first time I visited this forum, just days after diagnosis when my heart was broken and my head was spinning, someone mentioned that when he encounters obnoxious know-it-alls, he follows a rule of "nod, smile, change the subject". This has worked wonders for me-and for others, I'm sure.

7. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

Thank you so much guys for your help!!

Yes, you understand totally Carcha!! Haven't quite got to grips with the smile and nod thing yet, but getting there and trying to "bite my tongue so to speak"!! I need to harden up to the "village idiots" etc.

School just started today after two weeks of holidays, so better hit the hay!

Sleep most needed, please stay in touch.

Many thanks to Mel and Jane for getting me onto NZ CWD, cheers guys!!

Thank you everyone for helping support myself and my daughter, really appreicate it!!

Kind regards and hugs
    Pepper1