- advertisement -

14 yo boy in football & wrestler looking for pup

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by christense84, Sep 10, 2010.

1. christense84

christense84 New Member

My 14 yo son was diagnosed 7/8/10. Is very active in football and wrestling. We are looking at pumps, Minimed, Ping, Omnipod. What works/does not for these sports?

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son, now 14, was diagnosed in December at age 13. He also plays football. I cannot comment on pumps, as right now we are still MDI. I'm sure the pumpers will chime in! Good luck this football season! Hope your son is doing well. This is a tough age as it is, and throw d into the picture, makes it all that more challenging!

Take care,
    Kathy

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

For wrestling, I'd go with a tubed pump so he can disconnect, only have a small site on him.. the omnipod I have visions of it getting ripped off, or hurting him if he's pinned and he's on top of it.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My son is on a Cozmo (not a tubless pump, has a tube) He disconnects for sports and it works fine. I think a tubless pump would be quite difficult because you can't take it off and it's very likely to get ripped off.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have a friend that has a 13 yr old boy that plays football. He was a tubed pump and takes off the pump to practice or play.

6. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I would talk to the wrestling coach about the infusion site for wrestling. Even that might give someone a hold and that would be bad.

7. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

My son wears the Omnipod, while playing football, no issues to date. We do not use arms on game days, we usually do legs and booty.

He wrestled while on MDI and would like to do it this year. I do think we would run into problems with the pod being ripped off, although a tubed pump site might too. I told him if he really wants to wrestle then we will look into going back to MDI for the season. I am leaving it open at this point.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use medtronic. For rough sports like wresting or when he's in the water he disconnects but for others he leaves it on. Last year when we started the pump we would disconnect him while he played soccer, being conservative because we were new at it. This year he wore it while playing soccer.

9. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello christense84:

Pumps are not consistant with "contact" sports and activity IME.

The pumps themselves are irrelevent; its the tubing, the site connection, the infusion sets, the taping, the clips all of which are fatal design flaws for any type of expected/mandatory contact. Pleased to hear if others have any solutions to the contact issue re: pumps.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I know a 13 year old that has played football a couple of years. He has always had a tubed pump so he can disconnect for practices and games. Part of the insulin is given before he disconnects. This works very well for them.
    He has an Animas Ping now.

11. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

My 13 year old son plays football and baseball. He uses Medtronic MM and disconnects when playing or practicing. But he checks his BG close to every hour while it is off. Hope this helps.

Mom to dirty (13)
    dxd 8/7/09
    MM pump

12. superklas

superklas New Member

Don't go cordless

I recommend Medtronic's 722 with sensor on occasion. these are contact sports and he will need to disconnect, it's safe. My daughter is a competitave show jumper, demanding sport for strength and endurance, also dangerous. she disconnects if bg is within ranges prior to training or competition. She was on Medtronic 722 and now on Veo system, no available yet in US, I think... Anyways, Medtronic seems fine with all the dirt, grime, banging around:) Sensor helps me keep an eye on her, and sometimes there's no time for finger pricks, or hand are dirty, it really helps us out. Recommend it.

B.R to you and your kid, sports is a must for anyone with type one. Great job and keep doing it!

you can check what she's into on facebook:)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toget...s-Razem-Pokonujemy-Przeszkody/162654177147145

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My son had no problem with losing sites when he wrestled...I thought the slamming onto his bottom might cause kinks in the canulla, but that never happened. He did disconned wct though, and also disconnects for football. I don't think the omnipod would have worked well for him and wrestling though.