- advertisement -

12 yr old grandson type 1 diabetic..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vicki724, Feb 27, 2012.

1. vicki724

vicki724 New Member

I am so shocked that this has happen he was perfectly healthy in Aug check up..he did recieve the flu shot and a few months past he now has type1 diabetes...I been looking in serveral other posts on the web and found amazing amount of people who has fell in the same issue as mine..Does anyone know if there is a link to the flu shot and type1 diabetes...He never got ill , very active ,and a rash appeared and the doctor did a urine dip and he was 486 and now is on 4 shots a day...It is so stressful to start this new journey..I feel blessed that the Lord kept him healthy and let us find his diabetes before it did any damage...I see that boys and girls and all ages are in the forum...I pray that they find a cure for diabetes. I lost my mom and grandmother to type 2..There is no history of type 1 in the family, this is what puzzles me..I am sorry we are here all talking about this issue but in the same time I feel comfort...Thanks Vicki

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's dx, but bear in mind that ALL our children who now live with Type 1 were perfectly healthy prior to the onset of Type 1. There is, as far as I know, no link whatsoever to suggest that a flu vaccine, or any vaccine causes Type 1.

3. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

So sorry to hear about your grandson. My dd was a perfectly healthy little girl. She does have an uncle that has type 1 though. So we do have a family history of it.

4. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Sorry about your grandson's diagnosis. We have no family history of type 1 either, so I know exactly what you mean about it being a shock. I try to not dwell on the 'why', but i understand that it is really hard when you don't know what would have caused it. It's almost easier (imho) when there is a family history as there would be a reason why it happened.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

No family history of Type 1 here, and no flu shot at any point before dx. Sorry you are having to start this journey.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The vast majority of people with diabetes have no family history and were previously healthy. There is no evidence that having a flu shot causes diabetes. I'm very sorry about your grandson, and I'm glad that you have found the supportive and knowledgable community of CWD. :)

7. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

I have no family history of type 1 or 2 either. I was perfectly healthy prior to the onset of type 1. (No flu, pressure,stress,...)
    Diabetes is a multi-factorial condition/disorder/disease. I'd heard that Virus is 1 of those several factor that can make diabetes happen.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm so sorry this has happened to your grandson. Type 1 is actually very prevalent in my family, and I lost an aunt to it 30 years ago. However, you should take heart that it is a different world now as far as Type 1 management goes. There are so many tools available to your grandson so that he will be able to manage his blood sugars and have a healthy and full life. I have an adult niece who was dx at age 2...she is healthy, complication free at 30 years old, and has 2 beautiful kids. My other adult niece is healthier than I am and competes in triathalons. Your child (son? daughter?) will surely need your support and love in the coming months as they adjust to this new change. My in-laws were invaluable to us after my son was dx...they educated themselves and learned as we learned how to take care of my son's new needs. It's nice that you've come here to learn more. There are many famous people and sports heroes with Type 1 whose stories may help your grandson see how it will just be one part of his life...it will not define him.:)

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome,

No one knows what causes Type 1 diabetes. There is no evidence that it is caused by vaccines. You will find many theories about causes. Most of them are just guesses or outright falsehoods. I try and focus on managing my daughters health as best I can. She has it and there is nothing I can do to change that.

I don't know your situation but if his parents are caring for him I would suggest you direct them to this site for information and support. I will also recommend the following books to them (and you, if you are interested):

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

10. SueM

SueM Banned

As others have noted, there is certainly no "proof" that vaccines (flu or otherwise) cause type 1 diabetes.

Having said that, there is definitely nothing wrong with doing your own research on the topic and looking at both sides. There are indications that the increase in vaccines has possibly triggered increases in autoimmune diseases as well as an increase in autism. We really can't rule anything out (as well as not being able to prove anything as "the" cause). Anyone who attempts to do this may be uneducated about the topic or is choosing to accept the mainstream medical world's word on the topic. Which is fine... but for me, there is definitely more to the story.

It is interesting to note that it used to be rather rare for babies (under the age of 2) to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes... now, not so much. Keep in mind a lot has changed with our vaccination schedules as well... In the mid eighties, children were given the following vaccines mmr, dtp and polio... Today, I can't even keep track... The list is astounding. There may be some connection there.

I have never been a fan of the flu shot in general (once I did my research). It appears to be a big money maker and no real proof that it even works. Now, it is recommended that we get them every year? Crazy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Proof = sufficient evidence or argument for the truth of a proposition. There definitely is no proof of vaccines causing T1.

12. SueM

SueM Banned

Oops, my bad. Freudian slip there. I am going to attempt to change my previous response... I meant that there is "no proof" of a connection (as others have noted). Of course, simply because there has been no way of proving a connection... Does not mean that there is no connection. No absolutes here. We must remain open to all possibilities.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Haha, okay. I did wonder if you meant that. I'm all about remaining open to possibilities.

14. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Type1 and vaccines

Hello Vicki, there was a big discussion of causes of type 1 on another website. The majority of the members who replied said a virus or illness was the cause of their type 1. I was very sick in 1945 with chickenpox and mumps, and the symptoms of diabetes began while I was recovering. My diagnosis did not occur until several months later, but I have now lived for 66 years with type 1, and I am very healthy.

There is a doctor in Maryland who says vaccines are responsible for the diabetes in many of his children patients. He has researched this.

About 70% of the type 1 diabetics in the US do not have any relatives with type 1.

I hope your grandson will adjust to his diabetes, and have a long, healthy life like I have had. I'm sure he will receive very good care.

Richard

15. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

We too have no family history, also no vaccine history- but still have type 1.

16. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The science to date is overwhelming that vaccines do not cause diabetes.

Extensive research has shown, to the extent humanly possible, that vaccinations are not a cause of type 1 diabetes.

See:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

To those who say that we can't rule anything out, that's nonsense, not science. Why not just say, "We can't prove that elephants don't cause type 1 diabetes, but we need to be open to the possibility."

17. SueM

SueM Banned

What a silly comment in regards to the elephant comparison. Is the government shelling out millions/billions of dollars to parents whose children have been damaged by "elephants" (proven in vaccine court and accepted as real)? Have "elephants" been shown to cause autoimmune diseases in children? Have "elephants" been known to cause serious seizure disorders in children? I don't think that "elephants" had anything to do with the case of Hannah Poling where she was found to have been injured by VACCINATIONS which led to her ultimate diagnosis of severe autism. Again, there is no proof of a connection between vaccinations and type 1 diabetes. Having said that, what sort of a silly comparison is that? If you want to talk "science", talk "science", don't attempt to discredit anything by comparing it to nonsense (and then having the audacity to claim that my opinion is nonsense). It doesn't work that way.

As for your "science" Jeff... How about a little updating? Still have the same tired old studies up there in regards to vaccinations... You have studies from 1999, etc.... Get with the times.

For those who will jump on me for being disrespectful to Jeff... Sorry but Jeff has never been respectful of others' opinions on this matter. His opinion is his opinion. No more, no less. The issue that I have is that there will be some who take Jeff's opinion on vaccinations as more reliable considering his extensive knowledge of type 1 diabetes and all that goes along with it. His opinion holds no more weight in this discussion as anyone else's opinion. In fact, considering how long he has been proclaiming "No connection", his opinion should be looked at even more skeptically than others without that type of background for obvious reasons.

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

We have lots of Type 1 diabetes in my grandparents generation, nothing since except me, and mine seemed to be triggered by German and Red measles and Chicken pox. I was apparently a sick puppy wih those 3, and the doctors told Mum later they think that triggered my Type 1, but who knows for sure.

19. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I respect Jeff's opinion on this issue because it's based on fact instead of conjecture, hysteria, and assumptions.

No one has shown a connection between vaccinations and T1. Really, the rest of your post is irrelevant at best.

ETA: Directed at SueM., not Connie who posted while I was composing this.

20. SueM

SueM Banned

True, who knows for sure. I will say that this would make sense (viruses triggering type 1 diabetes). It would also make sense that the mmr (measles, mumps, rubella) shot : 3 live virus vaccine... could possibly also trigger the disease. Again, possibly. Another good example of where Jeff's "elephant" comparison is so far out there.