- advertisement -

100-120 carbs per day needed just to feed the brain and nerves?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Helenmomofsporty13yearold, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Do you know who the top level athletes with Type 1 are who are following this diet? I have met many over the past 9 years and none has ever mentioned it in their speeches or in conversation.

My goal here is not to judge, but to understand. I cannot imagine how a low carb diet could fuel intensive several hour training day after day. A game of flag football, sure, but you might want to be careful when he is in a tournament and playing several games in a day for a few days in a row.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

It's true that it's very hard to establish links to specific chemicals, due to the soup of toxic chemicals we're exposed to in every aspect of our lives. But the one thing that is true is that the further up the foodchain you go, the more of these chemicals - called persistent organic pollutants (POPs), concentrate in food and then if you eat them, they concentrate even more in your own tissues. We know that many of these synthetic chemicals cause cancer, endocrine disorders and other health problems in animal studies. Some of them have been correlated pretty strongly with cancer in human studies. And if you eat meat, you are getting a massive dose.

Sadly, the way world health organizations test for the presence of these chemicals is in human breast milk, so our babies get the highest dose of all. And the more meat you eat, the higher these compounds are in your breast milk and in all of your tissues. Women who have been vegan for several years have the lowest concentration in their milk and women who eat a high-meat diet have orders of magnitude higher. Personally, I think our kids have enough to deal with with having type 1 without greatly increasing their risk of all these other diseases by given them POP-laden food, which meat certainly is. And the complications that are most serious in type 1's are from kidney damage and arterial disease and a high protein diet is really stressful on kidneys and a high fat/meat diet increases cholesterol. Very low carb diets are linked to overall earlier cause of death from all factors.

It's not like you can't learn to deal with dosing insulin for various carbs. Whole grains, beans, lentils and fruits are good for everyone, particularly kids. A bunch of refined crap is not, so the two should not be confused and a high refined sugar/carb diet, which is usually high fat too, should be not lumped together with a low-fat/moderate protein/high complex carb diet which has been shown to have many health benefits and keep your body load of toxic synthetic chemicals the lowest.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Helen, there are some top level, low carb athletes out there. Even a few with T1. Try a google search.

As for saddling my CWD with more than what she already has to deal with, I think a lot of assumptions are being made, & they're completely incorrect. I have no interested in defending our personal choices, which are encouraged by the dr & RD in charge of my dd's care, as well as my own endo. I would encourage anyone who has an interest, for whatever reason, to research on their own.

As for the comments about higher risk of all cause death, an important piece of data was omitted. That info is based on studies involving low carb & high meat-protein/fat diets.

"A low-carbohydrate diet based on animal food sources increases mortality risk, according to a new study funded by the National Institutes of Health. The study included 85,168 women from the Nurses? Health Study and 44,548 men from the Health Professionals? Follow-Up Study with an average of 23 years of follow-up. Researchers found that a high-animal-food, low-carbohydrate diet was linked with higher all-cause mortality, including a higher rate of cancer deaths. A high-vegetable-food, low-carbohydrate diet was associated with lower mortality, especially reducing the risk of death from cardiovascular events."

http://www.pcrm.org/health/medNews/low-carb-high-animal-protein-diet-linked-to-higher

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

http://anthonycolpo.com/tim-olson-another-low-carb-athlete-that-never-was/

An interesting article questioning whether it is even possible to have a low-carb diet and be an endurance athlete. Tim Olson is perhaps the most well-known endurance athlete who says that he tries to eat as low carb as possible. However during races, like all endurance athletes, he is chugging down glucose gels and high carb drinks to fuel his performance. Like the article says, he's not reaching for a stick of butter to fuel him through his race.

5. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

My son's endo recently (over a month ago, at his last appointment) recommended that we try to increase his carb intake by about 100 carbs/day for better control and more stable blood sugars. The nutritionist said my son is eating all the right things; veggies, fruit, whole grains, plenty of protein and probably enough fat, but he needs more carbs. The nutritionist recommended things like carnation instant breakfast, boost, an extra sandwich on whole grain bread at lunch, adding in a bedtime snack (a habit we had worked so hard to break,) etc. I thought she was crazy, but in the interest of teaching my teenage son that he should try what the Dr. says, we tried adding in a carnation instant breakfast with his breakfast, an extra sandwich at lunch and something like whole grain crackers (sometimes with cheese) at bedtime. Much to my amazement, it has worked! In a month, Gregory's BGs have become much more stable and he gained four pounds (a good thing) and he grew 1/2 an inch! It has obviously been a month of a lot of ratio/basal/sensitivity changes, but we have not had the spikes and drastic drops we were dealing with. I am not saying this plan will for everybody, or even for Gregory forever, I'm just saying I was surprised it worked at all!

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm not sure that people think low carb diets are "crazy" as much as they themselves aren't willing to give up their donuts, cake, soda, etc. and can't imagine how someone could have that much self-discipline. :) They can't even fathom the idea that some peolple might not even like those kinds of foods. I haven't experienced people saying that low carb is bad for your health (except for very low/no carb diets), per se. But I've never gone "low carb" or "vegan" myself, so I haven't experienced first-hand how people with different diets are treated.

The way I see it, carbs are fast energy, fats/proteins are slow energy, so depending on the metabolism, energy output, etc. of each person, it will make a difference in what he/she needs. I think we need both. Also, the age of a person makes a difference in their dietary needs as well. And maybe even gender. Some of the comments referred to children, when others referred to adults. Just pointing that out.

Then you have the emotional/social aspect of eating, like lisanc briefly mentioned. Eating can be highly emotional for some people. And doesn't every get-together revolve around food?

Some here (sorry I don't remember who) have mentioned having specific health problems (like arthritis, or other auto-immune) and those people will likely have different dietary needs than the general population. Like people with food allergies or celiac...obviously it's best for them to avoid that food, even if it's a healthy food for 'everyone else.' (like green beans...I have a relative who is allergic to green beans. That was one I'd never heard of before.)

The quality of the carbs (or food in general) will make a huge difference, I think. A 30g slice of home made whole wheat bread will act MUCH differently in the body than a 30g granola bar or twinkie or slice of cake. Even things most people think are "healthy" (like granola bars) I've found are loaded with sugar, and although there are whole grains, I still consider it a highly processed food and don't buy them (mostly because they're too expensive!). But I didn't have to say that here. Most of us already know that.

Eating more veggies never hurt anyone! :) We all know they are good for us, it's getting our kids (and sometimes ourselves!) to eat them that's the challenge. lol I was surprised when I learned that there are actually adults out there who NEVER eat vegetables. EVER! They even take the lettuce off their burgers. It was hard for me to believe at first. Perhaps those are the types of people that the study MichellesMom referred to was talking about. ???

My extended family has conversations about food all the time....trying to figure out exactly what's right for me/my family is hard, with all the different theories and ideas about what the human body needs. Sometimes it's even harder to follow such a plan. Habits are hard to change.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

FWIW I do better myself on a lower carb diet but even eating "low carb" I need to get in about 75g in yogurt, milk, oat bran etc. So even if a person is passing on the bread, pasta, potatoes and dessert if they are trying to get in calcium and some fiber they will end up with close to 100g a day.

8. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We had a similar experience to 4MyBoys ... our Endo suggested that Maddie needed to gain weight and to add more calories and fat and I thought great this is going to be hard to manage with the diabetes ... and to my amazement her blood sugars were more stable and better?!

I wonder if her body just functioned better because it was what HER body needed ... not suggesting this would work for everyone ... just suggesting or wondering if it really all depends on everyone's specific needs based on their activities and personal tolerances.