- advertisement -

10 years

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Noel, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Noel

Noel Approved members

I posted this earlier on FB but I wanted to share here too....it's long so I just copied and pasted.

WOW!!!! Ten years! That is how long Aidan has had Type 1 Diabetes. Every year on the date of his diagnoses I always reflect on what it has been like. It's the one day that I let myself really feel the enormity of the disease. Why do I only do it on the anniversary of his diagnoses, when we live with it every single minute of every single day? Well it is the one day when I feel like I can both mourn and celebrate his diagnoses. I mourn because the "carefree childhood" was taken from him by this disease, the casual play dates and sleepovers, the unplanned meals, the evolving freedom children experience as they grow. I celebrate him living another year with this disease without any major health complications, I marvel at the human body and how it can attack itself and they sustain life, I think of how this disease has shaped the paradigm of our daily lives in a positive way.

A good friend of mine has always said, "Embrace the suck and then breathe in, breathe out and move on." That phrase coupled with Keith's mantra of "It is what you make it??" gets me through the days and sometimes the endless nights of living with Type 1 Diabetes. It's what I say when someone asks "How do you do it?" "How do you deal with this?" Speaking of asking, Aidan was recently interviewed about having Type 1 Diabetes. Here's what he had to say:

Aidan, how do you feel about having Type 1 Diabetes? "Well, I kind of like it. It's what I know. It's one of the things that makes me special. You see everyone has something about them that makes them special from another person and Diabetes is kind of mine. Wait, it's not the only thing, but it is one thing. So I'm good with it"

What is the worst thing about having Diabetes?
    "TESTING, all the time, everywhere I go. I can't escape it. I even have to get tested in the middle of the night and it SUCKS, but don't tell my mom, she doesn't like it when I say S-U-C-K-S."

What is the best thing about having Diabetes? ?Oh this one is easy. You know how people have best friends? Well usually that is because you have something in common. The best thing about having Diabetes is being connected to other people that have Diabetes, like Miss Hall, Uncle Gary, a few kids I know and most of all-my Dad. I can't really explain it, but I know it's something I wouldn?t know about if we all didn't have it (Diabetes). One more thing, I like getting to eat a lot of food when I am low. Expect for in the middle of the night, because that just stinks."

Do you wish you didn't have Diabetes? "Nope, I do and I can't change it, it is what it is. You know what I mean, I mean it's like, I don't know, I guess you could say, "It's how I roll?'

As Aidan's mom I am bursting with pride at the amazing grace his handles this disease with and the normalcy he brings to his own life. So today as we reflect and celebrate together with as a family, we may cry tears of pain and joy, we'll certainly laugh at the bumps along the way, we'll pray for many, many more happy, healthy years.

"It takes a village to raise a child?" well I can say that I truly have experienced this in our journey so far. Keith and I and our sons are truly grateful for all of those who have been a part of our village, there are just too many to name. So many have helped us in so many ways that is what Diabetes has done for us. For that reason we will always be grateful for this disease.

Here's hoping everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

Great post! It is awesome how well he deals with D. My son just passed his one year mark. I have only cried a couple times since he was diagnosed, but for some reason I was an emotional wreck on his diaversary.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Thanks for this, and thank your son for us.
    I very, very much like "It's how I roll."

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Beautiful attitude about it. I hope ~K would have the same positive attitude about it years from now.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Awesome! When I grow up, I want to be like Aidan... ;)

6. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I guess "quote" is the closest thing to a "like" button. Well done, Aidan, well done!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Congrats Cami on a decade of care and love and a great attitude on both your parts :cwds:

8. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Wow! Love it! Great attitude and what honest answers. Ella has her 8th diaversary coming up in February. Time flies, doesn't it?

9. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks for sharing!