- advertisement -

1 year "celebration"--was it wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommii Karen, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

No, you haven't done anything wrong. We've done the same thing. Phillip got given the Rufus bear at dxd. Until recently every year we celebrated Rufus's birthday with a dinner Phillip chose. It was Phillip's decision to do it, and every year I'd ask him if he wanted to. We've only stopped now because Phillip at 13 is too old for teddys. We've also donated toys to the children's ward every anniversary too. This year was his five year anniversary so we took some chocolates to the clinic he goes to instead. I see it as marking another year of managing this stupid disease.

2. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

We're going to celebrate it. It's no different then celebrating Thanksgiving.

3. bensgirl

bensgirl Approved members

Nothing at all wrong with it. Alexander's anniversary is coming up June 19th, and we always do something big. This year we are having a Mickey Mouse cake made, it is so cute, and it will say "oh boy" Alexander you are our hero! He is also getting a big gift. :) We choose to celebrate that day because in our eyes, there is so much to be thankful for, we will always choose to celebrate it.

4. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Our date is on Christmas day, that was actually the day we got back from the hospital, so we will remember it every year. Nothing wrong with a celebration, :cwds:

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

He didn't get diabetes on dx date -- that happened much earlier.

The DX date was the first day he got insulin, and my sick boy went back to being his old self. I watched him transform from sick and grouchy to a new kid in just short of a day. A kid I had not seen in months.

I got my boy back that day. That's worth celebrating, and I don't care if nobody can understand it. I will explain it once and only once to them...

6. diabetesgurl

diabetesgurl Approved members

Not at all!

Not in the least was it wrong.
    I feel it better to celebrate a year of no complications than to shun upon a day that most look at being a negative day year after year.

I have two best friends with diabetes.
    I've had diabetes since 11/1995, so i'm coming up on my 15 year dianniversary
    My best friend Karena is 20 years diabetic this summer.
    My best friend Chris had his dianniversary September of 2009, 10 years.
    For Chris's dianniversary, we all went to a bar (yes, a bar) and celebrated his 10 years of no complications, and the strides it's taken to succeed with good health. He was the second diabetic ever admitted into a merchant marine academy in New York - a huge feat. Alot to celebrate.
    So Karena and I went to 7-11, got a gigantic Rice Krispie Treat cake, and wrote on it with icing - Happy Anniversary, Dia-buddy!
    We plan on having three anniversary parties for our anniversaries this year... we don't shun the fact we're all diabetic, we celebrate it - otherwise we may not have ever been as close as we are... and for that, i'm thankful for diabetes.

Celebrate - it doesn't have to always be a negative, at least that's what i've found to work all these years. In fact, on my anniversary the first few years, my mom would get me a new meter case or a patch for my case that we'd sew or iron onto my case - as my diabetes birthday of sorts...
    Good luck,
    you parents are the silent angels and heros of us kids/once kids with diabetes... you all don't get thanked enough.
    - Kristen:cwds:

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

This is a great way to explain it.:)

8. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

A little late I know, but...

Happy birthday Pineapple! :D

9. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

You did an AWESOME thing..how wonderful that your daughter wants to celebrate that day...the day she received a very special friend.

WAY TO GO MOM...you deserve a big HUG and an award:D

10. Bill

Bill Approved members

We just 'celebrated' the one year anniversary this week. It was Liam's choice, and it was focused on how our family has come together to be stronger. As many others mentioned, we celebrated how responsible and strong Liam has been, how supportive his brother and sister have been (his 1.5 yr has had to fore go some of our attention at times), and how much we have learned. It is a celebration of life and family. For us as parents, we also celebrated how we overcame the stress, fatigue, and information overload.

Your child took the lead in this celebration, and you had the heart and mind to listen and celebrate with her - great job Karen.

11. shekov

shekov Approved members

This is awesome!

We have never celebrated dx but I don't see anything wrong with it. We celebrate just about everything in our house.

Our last celebration was a week ago when everyone had an especially horrible, crabby, tired, nasty monday morning. Dd and I made a "Crabby Day Cake" and surprised the 2 older kids with it when they returned from school. We each ate 3 pieces and celebrated the fact that we made it through the day.

12. Mommii Karen

Mommii Karen Approved members

Wow!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your replys. It has put my mind at ease to read so many of your stories...thank you for sharing!

I continue to marvel at the strength & maturity in which my DDD (Darling DD) is dealing with the mountain of burden that has been 'dumped' on her life. SO grateful she was able to find a happy memory to hold onto, and for that we will continue to celebrate! Nice to know there are so many that share our sentiments :)