advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 in 20 die from low blood sugar - JDRF ad - in paper today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by selketine, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selketine

selketine Approved members

I get the Washington Post and I saw a JDRF ad in the front section today to promote the FDA work on the artificial pancreas. The ad featured the picture of a girl who has type 1 diabetes and the big headline was that "1 in 20 people like Piper will die from low blood sugar."

So 1 in 20 people with type 1 pass away from low blood sugar? I had never realized that it was so common.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Errrr, what!?

I think that's a total non-truth.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

surely you jest.. :(

Time to let the JDRF know that they need to get their facts straight.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

God grief Charlie Brown. Talk about sensationalizing.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I would love to see what their source for that is. I have a really hard time believing it's even close to based in truth.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

I predict a retraction. It just can't be true.

9. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

And that right there is what would scare the crap out of a newly diagnosed parent. Like it's not scary enough to get thrust onto this journey...

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

Holy cow! I think that tops the dog website!!

JDRF should know better.

11. Beach bum

I hope this doesn't go up as a billboard somewhere. That would be great to look at everyday. I remember driving through Worchester MA and jDRF had one that said diabetes hurts with this pitiful looking kid.

12. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Way to misinterpret a statistic, JDRF! I believe it's actually 1 in 20 people with T1 who die before 40, die of low blood sugar, not 1 in 20 people period.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

And THAT is a very different statistic!

Lynn, I agree that this is as bad as the dog thing. I wish we could trust professional organisations to get their facts right! :(

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't see a source listed for the statistic that they provide - that 1:20 people (not just children but all) with type 1 die from low blood sugar. It is specific to type 1 - and I presume over the course of a lifetime.

I would believe 1:20 die from complications from type 1 at some point in their life - but dying from low BG is fairly uncommon isn't it?

I have mixed feelings on JDRF. I love them on many levels but they also ran an ad program on Cartoon Network during prime time (for little kids) about the horrible side effects of type 1 (blindness, kidney failure, etc). William saw that commercial at least twice before I could shut it off - and he was around 5 or 6 years old I think. To me it was just unconscionable to run an ad like that where the target audience IS children. Fine to run a general ad. If the JDRF cannot control how their PSA ads are run then they shouldn't make ones like that one.

I'm hoping kids these days don't read the paper and no one mentions this to William.

I will be calling them about the ad. If anyone can find the source for that statistic I'd love to see it. If they are putting out misleading info - even for a great cause - I can't understand why they'd do that.

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Why do organizations have to overdramatize everything!?!?!?! Is that what makes them money? I figured thats why the dog company was doing it but I thought we could trust JDRF not to do things like that. It shows no class whatsover and looks like something you'd see in the National Enquiror or Star magazine:rolleyes:

16. Beach bum

JDRF really, really should have noted their source for this.

This is the closest info I could find, and it's a few years old and it only says from complications:
    http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/

Deaths among People with Diabetes, United States, 2007

• Diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death based on U.S. death certificates in 2007. This ranking is based on the 71,382 death certificates in 2007 in which diabetes was the underlying cause of death. Diabetes was a contributing cause of death in an additional 160,022 death certificates for a total of 231,404 certificates in 2007 in which diabetes appeared as any-listed cause of death.
    • Diabetes is likely to be underreported as a cause of death. Studies have found that about 35 to 40 percent of decedents with diabetes had it listed anywhere on the death certificate and about 10 to 15 percent had it listed as the underlying cause of death.
    • Overall, the risk for death among people with diabetes is about twice that of people of similar age but witho

17. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

The way this is written suggests that 1 in 20 people (5%) with type 1 will die from low blood sugar. That sounds high, but 100% of people (with and without diabetes) will die eventually from something. So 95% of type 1 diabetics will die from cardiovascular disease, traffic accidents, suicide, natural disaster, suicide, drowning, gunshot wounds, plague, etc. And there is nothing in this article that says that the death doesn't take place 75 years from now!

Generally speaking, death from low blood sugar is quite rare. This is disturbingly misleading.

18. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When you horriblize, you get more donations. Period. I hate that just like I hated the video shown at the gala this year.

19. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

LOL. I hadnt thought of it that way. Is 1 in 20 really only 5%? I had to get my calculator out. :eek: LOL. It sounds like a lot more. :rolleyes: So maybe it is true when you put it that way. This is terribly misleading and needs to be pulled.

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I wrote to them and will post their reply (if I get one).

I have a feeling this may be true, but would like to see the basis for it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.