advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin Irritation w/Omnipod???

Default Skin Irritation w/Omnipod???

My daughter is complaining of her skin hurting under her pod adhesive. This is the third time it has happened & it is consistently at the 48 hour-ish mark. We removed the pod & the skin looks fine but I suspect she is starting to get some kind of adhesive reaction. Anyone have any suggestions? Right now we are using IVPrep but for our next pod that goes on in 45 minutes, I am thinking maybe I should skip it and see how it goes. Any suggestions from any of you pro pumpers out there?
    Thanks,
    Kelli
    Kelli
    BS Pharmacy 1993
    Go Gators!
    Mom to Tori 9/98, dx 1-07, Pumping Omnipod 10-29-07, Pony Club D2 11/09
    And Lexi 10-01 (non-D), Pony Club D1, and DIVA!

I have no suggestions for you as we do not have skin irritation with the pod. I do know others have mentioned it in the past though so you might want to try searching for previous posts to see what was advised.
    Sorry and good luck,
    Allene
    Allene- mom to 2 great children
    Lillian- born 8/18/99, D 9/26/06, OmniPod
    6/07, Dexcom 12/07
    Arthur- born 12/07/2004 Non D
    Joshua -hubbie, great father and best friend

Quote by Hank the Cowdog, " It could be worse. Think of the wind, it always blows."

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions either . Mason has only had a few pods that caused rashes/irritation. Maybe cutting out the IV prep will help.
    Becky, Mom to Mason, 7 Dexcom, Omnipod

I would try it without the IVprep. Hope it helps.
    Shelley
    Proud Mom to Adin 8 years old - dx'd @ 16 months - MDI now/Omnipod experience- Using the Dexcom

Well, it's on without IVPrep. I'm hoping for the best..switching out every other day could get expensive
    Kelli
    BS Pharmacy 1993
    Go Gators!
    Mom to Tori 9/98, dx 1-07, Pumping Omnipod 10-29-07, Pony Club D2 11/09
    And Lexi 10-01 (non-D), Pony Club D1, and DIVA!

you may also want to try putting a piece of tagaderm/IV3000 underneith the pod before insertion.. to see if that helps with a barrier between the pod and the skin.. I know there are some that do this..
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

L's skin could not handle IV prep or Skin Prep. It burned when I used it on her and it left red bumps. I finally consulted our dermatologist and he insisted that Betadine/Povidone was the least allergenic for most people. He was right, in our case. After reading Pumping Insulin I was afraid to use just alcohol for infection prevention, so without being able to use IV prep, we felt Povidone was the best choice, for us.
    Last edited by thebestnest5; 01-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.

we did not use the iv prep pads, but still needed something to help the pods stick, so we used mastisol spray on hailey's skin before we put the pod on

The IV prep bothered my son too. We have been using only alcohol for a little over a year now and no pods have fallen off nor has he had any site infections (knock on wood!). I must tell you though that I use multiple alcohol wipes to be absolutely sure the insertion area is clean. Also after the pod comes off we cover the old site with bacitracin and a bandaid as a precaution per our CDE. Maybe overkill but it seems to be working. My son really needs to avoid site infections as he is allergic to 2 families of antibiotics!
    Good luck,
    Anne

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    The IV prep bothered my son too. We have been using only alcohol for a little over a year now and no pods have fallen off nor has he had any site infections (knock on wood!). I must tell you though that I use multiple alcohol wipes to be absolutely sure the insertion area is clean. Also after the pod comes off we cover the old site with bacitracin and a bandaid as a precaution per our CDE. Maybe overkill but it seems to be working. My son really needs to avoid site infections as he is allergic to 2 families of antibiotics!
    Good luck,
    Anne
    What is the difference between bacitracin and neosporin? Just wondering because we have the same procedure but we use neosporin.

Thanks.
    Shelley
    Proud Mom to Adin 8 years old - dx'd @ 16 months - MDI now/Omnipod experience- Using the Dexcom