advertisement

Thread: UN World Diabetes Day -NYC -November 14

Default UN World Diabetes Day -NYC -November 14

Join us in NEW YORK for the first UN World Diabetes Day

Human Blue Circle - 11:00 am
    Public gathering on the lawn of the UN. Participants will form a blue circle while holding blue umbrellas, representing the global symbol for diabetes. Depending on the number of participants, we may organize more than one circle as the Rose Garden has 2 small lawns that could accommodate approximately 350 people to form each circle. Umbrellas and Blue Circle T-shirts will be given to the first 700 participants. A few words will be said by a representative of the Bangladesh Mission and a representative from IDF. Elliott Yamin (American Idol) will sing a song joined by a chorus of children with diabetes.

Please note: All participants must pass through UN Security. This may take some time and we advise arriving early. Security is aware of the needs of people with diabetes. There will not be places to sit after entering the UN Security and appropriate attire and comfortable shoes should be worn. Weather conditions may not be favorable in November. The good news is we will have umbrellas!

246 Step March -11:40 am
    Public march up First Avenue, each step representing one million people with diabetes.
    The City of NY has suggested that we depart the UN grounds in groups of 30-40 and walk along the wide sidewalk 9 blocks to Guastavino’s. UN Security will guide the groups as we leave the UN. We will have volunteers assisting at cross walks and directing people along the way. A few of New York’s Finest (bagpipes and drummers) will lead the procession.

Diabetes Education Rally -Noon to 3:00 pm
    Guastavino’s is located at 409 E. 59th Street (under the 59th St Bridge)
    Mistress of Ceremonies, B. Smith (restaurateur, television host, author, entrepreneur and entertainer) will lead the crowd in an inspirational, educational event. Celebrities and diabetes heroes will teach and entertain, supporting partners and organizations will provide diabetes education and social responsibility programs developed in response to the UN Resolution. A public call-to-action will highlight the words of Martin Luther King Each one, reach one, teach one”, asking each person to share their new diabetes knowledge with someone else and help reach one billion people.

Take Time for Diabetes
    The Rally site promises to be busy and noisy and designed for people to stand and participate. We are making a special effort to offer a quiet place for people to manage their diabetes. Just outside Guastavino’s we will have a heated tent set up with tables and chairs for those people who need a quite place to “take time for diabetes”.

We highly recommend people use public transportation. Parking in the area of the UN and Guastavino’s is very limited.

EmpireStateBuilding Illumination
    Watch on WDD as we light the ESB blue for Diabetes! Visit www.worlddiabetesday.com on November 14 and follow as buildings and monuments around the world are lit!

Media is welcome at all events. Please contact Kerrita McClaughlyn for a press pass. Kerrita.McClaughlyn@idf.org

For all other inquiries contact: Kari Rosenfeld Kari.Rosenfeld@idf.org

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25
    Jesse- 21 - dx'd 12/01, pumping since 4/03
    Pumping with a TSLIM and loving it !
    Dexcoming with a G4 and LOVING it !!

and an email I recieved from one of the organizers..

""Please note, we originally thought the events would draw MAYBE 1000 people and made plans based on that. It seems there may be more interest than we thought so plan on a full house. Lots of standing and lots of fun. November weather as you know could be 70 degrees and sunny, gale winds or snow. Let’s root for the better!""

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25

so, is anyone going to this??
    I can guarantee its going to be a very loooong day...

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25

I would really love to go to this.. but I don't know anything about NYC LOL.. it would be cool if different places had busses going.. so more people could go.. anyone from the NE area going?
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

We are hoping to go - just trying to figure out the logistics for going with two kids. If you check out the Elliott Yamin singing thread (sorry can't remember the exact name) there is more talk of those who are going and the potential to swap cell #s to meet up.
    ~Cammy~
    Mom to
    Ainsley, dob 9/21/05, dx 3/19/07
    Animas 2020 - pink of course
    Contact Detach steel infusion sets
    Carter, dob 7/25/07, hopefully non-D
    Wife to Dan (AP-Dad)

Do you sign up or just go?

I believe you can just go.
    ~Cammy~
    Mom to
    Ainsley, dob 9/21/05, dx 3/19/07
    Animas 2020 - pink of course
    Contact Detach steel infusion sets
    Carter, dob 7/25/07, hopefully non-D
    Wife to Dan (AP-Dad)

I wish we lived closer Anyone wanna pay my airfare
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by D-Dad View Post
    Do you sign up or just go?
    you just go, but get there early.. I spoke to a friend who's involved with it. She cannot believe the responses she's getting ..

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25