advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the 530G with enlite, do you like it? Need new pump and CGM.

Default Anyone have the 530G with enlite, do you like it? Need new pump and CGM.

Hi All,

My 10 year old son is ready for a new pump, right now we have medronic. We have never used a CGM but would like to. Even though Collin isn't old enough for the 530G the doctor said she might be able to do the paperwork. Collin does not feel any lows at night time so I thought this would be a good fit with the automatic shut off. I did hear a lot of really good things about the Dexcom CGM though (even though it isn't integrated with the pump) I can't decide which pump to go with...Help!

Thanks, Pam
    Pam
    Mom to Collin, age 10, dx'd 4/08, Minimed 522
    Mom to Gavin, age 7
    Mom to Colton, age 2

We have a mm pump and briefly used the earlier integrated sensor but switched to the dexcom for a number of reasons. One of the most compelling was how much my kid disliked my asking to see the pump in order to see what the graph looked like. I had always assumed that integrated would be superior, but for us it was not.

Good luck.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by pam_r View Post
    Hi All,

My 10 year old son is ready for a new pump, right now we have medronic. We have never used a CGM but would like to. Even though Collin isn't old enough for the 530G the doctor said she might be able to do the paperwork. Collin does not feel any lows at night time so I thought this would be a good fit with the automatic shut off. . .
    Dd has the 530G and likes it very much. For me the LGS (low glucose suspend) was worth waiting for. My daughter does not feel her lows either.

It has performed as intended and I notice better accuracy over the previous system. Also the Enlites are easier and faster to insert.

(However, obviously if the cgm stops reading values the pump will not shut off, so you have to calibrate at least every 12 hours (6 after the first cal in a new sensor)).

Until a dual-chamber, cgm integrated pump comes out, we will stick with the 530G.
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    MM 530G, Dexcom
    G4

I have had problems with the pump part of the system, but very few problems with the sensor part. And I like the low suspend.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

The Dexcom is more accurate, less fiddly to use, and the sensors last longer. For us, there's no comparison.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    The Dexcom is more accurate, less fiddly to use, and the sensors last longer. For us, there's no comparison.
    That is my problem. I have read great things about dexcom but the low glucose suspend on the 530G is holding me back, I think that would be so great.
    Pam
    Mom to Collin, age 10, dx'd 4/08, Minimed 522
    Mom to Gavin, age 7
    Mom to Colton, age 2

That is my problem. I have read great things about dexcom but the low glucose suspend on the 530G is holding me back, I think that would be so great.
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that the alarms on the dex are a lot louder than on the medtronic. I personally think I am safer with a CGM that is basically guaranteed to wake me if I go under 70 (in my case the dexcom does not miss lows ever) than a CGM/pump that would suspend basal insulin once I am already low but not wake me up to treat it with sugar. It is important to keep in mind that suspending basal insulin will take awhile to result in an increase in glucose. It is a tough decision though.
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

I think with a 10 year old you have to ask yourself which will give you greater peace of mind - the low suspend or having the receiver on your nightstand (or hanging on the door knob in your room - mine doesn't quite reach) where you can see it and hear it. For me, the dexcom wins hands down.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I had the same decision to make a few months ago. My daughter has been using a Medtronic pump for 2 years. In December our endo prescribed the 530G for her. After that I did a lot of research on the Medtronic CGM versus the Dexcom. I also talked with one person using the 530G. She had lots of accuracy problems with low alarms waking her up at night all night when she was in the mid 100's. She ended up turning off all the alarms and not using them, defeating the whole purpose of the 530G. I had them cancel the 530G and we're going with the Dexcom and staying with her old pump. The reasons for my decision were:

1, Lack of accuracy of the Enite compared to the Dexcom. Garbage in = garbage out.
    2, Many people using Dexcom sensors are getting 2-3 weeks+ out of them. The less sensor changes I have to deal with on an 8 year old the better!
    3, The Medtronic My Sentry is very expensive. The Dexcom comes with a receiver that I can put right next to my bed, (our rooms are very close so range is no issue)
    4, Hopefully in the next year Dexcom will have FDA approval on their system that can send glucose reading to a smart phone so I can monitor her at school.

For those having good results with their 530G, AWSOME! For me I just wasn't willing to try it and be stuck with it for 2-4 years if it didn't work for us. I need a system that works now! And The price for the My Sentry was a real deal killer too. If Medtronic would have got together with Dexcom what a GREAT system we could have had....
    Last edited by dpr; 03-13-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 8
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

If my kid was heading off to college, maybe. But I wake to the alarms (and don't trust the LGS not to suspend with a false low). I'd rather catch that low at 80 (which the Dex does, and the alarms are loud enough to hear) than rely on the LGS.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014