advertisement

Thread: Disability and Tax Breaks...

Default Disability and Tax Breaks...

Anyone have any information on this? Since our kids qualify as disabled, what are the federal tax "benefits" available to them? I saw someone mention this in a thread...can't remember who or where .

Does anyone know about this? TIA
    Charlotte
    Mom to Ryan, , 15 dx'd with Type 1 D 1/23/06
    and Hunter, 6
    Dh Bill Married 19 years

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...kumsma/099.jpg

The Canadians get a tax break. U.S. citizens do not.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

It depends on where you live. Some of the discussion related to posters from Canada whose disability definition and benefits are very different from the U.S. In the U.S., type 1 diabetes can fall under the definition of disability in the Americans with Disabilities Act because type 1 affects a major life activity, i.e. eating. However, the ADA is an anti-discrimination law, not a law that confers benefits. Benefits are conferred under the Social Security Act, and type 1 does not automatically entitle one to benefits absent other factors. Also, some states provide benefits, particularly medical, so if you're in the U.S., you may want to check into that.
    Daughter, non-D, 15
    Daughter, 11, diagnosed Type I, Feb. 2006

yes, in Canada people who are insulin dependant are considered disabled and receive a tax credit. PM me if you want info.
    Mom to 11yr old
    Dx May 2007
    Started on NPH/Novorapid, then MDI- Lantus/Novorapid
    Now Pumping with Paradigm 722 but sensors not covered
    Novorapid/6mm quickset

Lucky Canadians! LOL

Thanks...our world-wide membership had me confused.
    Charlotte
    Mom to Ryan, , 15 dx'd with Type 1 D 1/23/06
    and Hunter, 6
    Dh Bill Married 19 years

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...kumsma/099.jpg

lucky yes, but is was only recently that we could actually get this credit without taking it to tax court. When we were diagnosed originally CRA denied us because back then it wasn't officially a recognized disablity by CRA, ( IRS) , but now the rules have been changed that if you have the correct documentation from Dr and correct tax documentation you will get it.
    It was great when we won our appeal as they had to readjust three years worth of tax returns which resulted in a couple of nice returns which doesn't come close to replacing the income we lost because my wife stays home full time to be accesible to Megan
    Megan, 10 diagnosed March 16, 2004 @ 15:00 with Type 1 diabetes
    Pumping with Minimed 522 since Oct 2006