advertisement

Thread: Type 1 diabetes on Law and Order: SVU

Default Type 1 diabetes on Law and Order: SVU

I have recently gotten into watching Law and Order: SVU. The episode last night involved a missing boy who had Type 1 diabetes. I actually thought they did a pretty accurate job of depicting it. The one thing that jumped out at me, because it doesn't exist yet, is that in this episode, the boy's pump could text the parents if he had a high blood sugar! Don't we all wish we had that technology? I know it will eventually come with the artificial pancreas but it was interesting how they incorporated it.

The boy had a pump, the parents were worried about high blood sugars as his pump only held 3 days worth of insulin, and the person who had him was just shoving food at him to try and pacify him and they kept harping on that not being the solution. When the found the boy, he was lethargic and the detectives immediately asked for insulin. I thought all in all it was a pretty accurate depiction of the disease.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    Emma - 9 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping! as of 9/07, with t:slim as of 8/14!

CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

Our TV is hit or miss when it comes to picking up TV stations. I'm going to try and remember to watch it online. My mom watched it last night, and asked me why we couldn't get the device they had.that way we always know how much insulin Ashleigh has in her pump, and what her blood sugar is. I explained that with Ashleigh's meter remote I can tell how much insulin is in her pump, and With a CGM I'd be able to tell her blood sugar. But the distance is limited, and the child would have to be in the same general area as you.
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

There was also recently an episode of The Black List depicting a little girl with an insulin pump (a Minimed 522, they showed it). The girl was abducted and they were able to track her through the pump, that sure made me chuckle! Maybe that will be the next pump feature too- have your kid's bg sent to your phone, and then you can track them down and make sure they bolus
    23 y/o, Dx 12/02 Type 1
    Pumping purple MM Veo
    BSN, RN

It's cool when they even get it "almost" right.

Conversely I saw a sitcom (I guess you cant really expect to much accuracy from a sitcom) the other day where a diabetic guy was like "out" in class (in a way that looked like a severe low blood sugar... at least I've never seen a severe high blood sugar come on that quick (a matter of minutes with him being fine before) to virtually knock a guy out) and they came to someone that knew he was diabetic (but barely) and her first thought was "We need to give him his insulin!" So they pull out a syringe and vial from a lil fanny pack that he carried, gave him God knows how much insulin and then he was A-OK.

Really?
    Investigating the idea of pumping for the first time.
    Pumping with t:slim since Dec. 29, 2013
    Last A1C: 6.8 (pre pump)

I thought they were pretty accurate too. When the pump texted the cell phone though - I was like "wouldn't that be nice" someday soon hopefully. The one other thing I thought was a little far fetched was the lady getting insulin at the pharmacy, just like you could just go pick it up. That would be nice if you didn't have to have a prescription, I guess that is what they have to do in TV shows though is gloss over things to make the story go together. Overall I thought they did a nice job.
    Mom to 3 boys:
    Tanner 5 D'xd 2/1/2013 - MDI Humalog and Lantus 2/1/2013-7/8/2013
    Pinging with Green Animas Ping 7/8/2013
    CGMing with Dexcom G4 since June 13 2013

Spencer 7 , and Romney 9

"Sometimes superheroes reside in the hearts of small children fighting big battles"

There is a new meter that transmits to an Iphone, and you can also send a text with the bg's or an email. It's the One Touch Verio Sync. I'm waiting for one to be delivered.
    Mary,
    Mom to Melissa, 29, using Dexcom, 24/7 since 4/10, and T:slim started March 2014. Michael, 34 using MDI's and Dexcom. Melissa is intellectually challenged and needs a lot of help from us to manage her diabetes.

i finally watched it this morning. I thought they did a pretty good job
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

you can buy insulin without an rx. but generally you can only buy Regular and NPH.
    young adult w. type 1
    Pumping Since Aug 2005
    currently pumping with Medtronic Veo (with CGM as much as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Shopgirl2091 View Post
    I thought they were pretty accurate too. When the pump texted the cell phone though - I was like "wouldn't that be nice" someday soon hopefully. The one other thing I thought was a little far fetched was the lady getting insulin at the pharmacy, just like you could just go pick it up. That would be nice if you didn't have to have a prescription, I guess that is what they have to do in TV shows though is gloss over things to make the story go together. Overall I thought they did a nice job.
    You can get Regular and NPH over the counter in New York (where the show is filmed and based). And up to 10 syringes at once.

I thought it was a great episode. SVU is one of my favorite shows. They frequently film episodes in the neighborhood I grew up in which makes watching the show pretty cool.
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013