advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookies and Pizza

Question Cookies and Pizza

I wanted to ask if anyone could direct me to the "BEST" and "MOST DELICIOUS" chocolate chip cookie recipe or manufacturer (or both would be great!!) and pizza dough, frozen pizza, and/or pizza dough recipe.
    My nine-year-old daughter, Victoria, was diagnosed with celiac disease by blood tests followed by a positive biopsy finding via endoscopy in March 2006.
    This means she remembers and craves the Nestle Toll House cookies we used to make from scratch. She was also a MAJOR Oreo cookie fanatic as well. We've tried a few of the gluten-free Oreo substitutes and she gags on each one.
    I've been trying different chocolate chip cookie recipes but haven't found one she (or I) think isn't disgusting.
    Pizza was another favorite food but we haven't found a crust that she'll eat so I figured I'd ask what others suggest as yummy gluten-free replacements for these favorites she misses oh-so much.
    So, chocolate chip cookies, Oreo cookies, and pizza or just pizza crust - do you have any suggestions for us to try?
    Thanks

Victoria'sMom,
    We are just getting started with this GF stuff. We just found out 12 days ago our daughter is + for celiac.
    I placed an order yesterday with this company https://secure.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm
    Looked like they had lots of products but have no idea what they will taste like.
    Do all GF foods taste like the box they came in or is it just me?
    Jeff

Default We've only experienced the unsatisfying taste of cardboard

Hi Jeff,
    It's been 18 months since Victoria's diagnosis and we have yet to find an Oreo or chocolate chip cookie that doesn't make your tongue stick to the roof of you mouth and develop an eye tic at the same time.
    We did find a bakery in New York City where they bake the cookies fresh every morning and they are to die for but unfortunately we live in Massachusetts and can't make the four hour drive into Manhattan whenever she gets a craving. We happened across the store during a weekend adventure and sadly they don't do mail order otherwise we'd be spend the $3.25 per cookie and stock up on them.
    We went a whole year without her eating any bread until she tried the fresh, bakery bread from Whole Foods and she liked it.
    We're slowly making progress but man it is a struggle.
    Stephanie

The K-toos (like oreo) aren't bad. Don't bother with the Mi-Del brand (at least to us, lol).

Bette Hagmans' Toll House Cookies:

1 3/4 c. featherlight mix*
    1/2 c. sorghum flour
    1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 scant tsp salt

1/2 c. margarine
    1/2 c. butter crisco
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. brown sugar

12 oz. bag choc. chips

Preheat oven to 375.
    Cream sugars, margarine and crisco
    Add vanilla and eggs
    Add dry ingredients. Beat well.
    Stir in chocolate chips.
    Bake 9-11 minutes or until done.

roll leftover dough into a log - wrap and freeze

OR - you can make this in a pan like brownies -
    just cook about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
    Mom to Arrianna
    Dx 8/27/05
    Pumping with Ping 8/09
    Celiac 9/07
    Hypothyroidism 7/08

I have been getting alot of recipes from the gluten free forum. There are several pizza crust recipes posted over there, but I'm not sure what kind of crust you are looking for.
    Mom to Arrianna
    Dx 8/27/05
    Pumping with Ping 8/09
    Celiac 9/07
    Hypothyroidism 7/08

Talking Thank you

Hi Sheila,
    Thanks for the recipe. We will try that one tomorrow or Friday after school.
    Victoria was very excited when I told her I was asking for a good recipe on this forum because we've learned so much from people who visit and share information on Children with Diabetes.
    As for the pizza crust, she does not like thin-crust pizza, she likes it sort of doughy.
    She used to love going into Boston to the places that made fresh dough everyday from scratch for their New York-style pizzas.
    No one threw these pizza crusts away - they were the best part of the pizza.
    Stephanie

Default Try this

We use this GF flour for everything! We just use it in place of regular flour and we have made cookies of all sorts, muffins, cake, cupcakes, anything that can be made with regular flour. And it tastes great! Even my non celiac kids (and neighbors. lol) will eat the things I bake with this and not know the difference.

http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/
    Kris- Mom to
    Jordan (13)
    Hayleigh (10- HHT, PAVM's, Asthma, Celiac, Type 1 Diabetes-dx'd 2/05- PINK Minimed 722 since 2/2007 and Dexcom 7 Plus "Dex" since 6/2010
    Kailyn (6)
    and
    Allison (4)
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mommyx4 View Post
    We use this GF flour for everything! We just use it in place of regular flour and we have made cookies of all sorts, muffins, cake, cupcakes, anything that can be made with regular flour. And it tastes great! Even my non celiac kids (and neighbors. lol) will eat the things I bake with this and not know the difference.

http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/
    That is really a good price. I use Pamela's pancake mix for everything. I like the idea of a general substitution. I am going to have to order some if I check my healthfood store and they don't have it.

http://www.fiddlestixbakery.com/

They have the best baked goods. Their cookies are the best cookies I have ever had, even non gluten free. They are local to us but I believe you can order.

we have used the pamela's pancake mix for choc chip cookies and they were great.
    Also made really great brownies last summer but cannot remember where I got the recipe.
    I beleive the cookie recipe we followied was actually on the pancake mix container?
    Good luck,
    Allene
    Allene- mom to 2 great children
    Lillian- born 8/18/99, D 9/26/06, OmniPod
    6/07, Dexcom 12/07
    Arthur- born 12/07/2004 Non D
    Joshua -hubbie, great father and best friend

Quote by Hank the Cowdog, " It could be worse. Think of the wind, it always blows."