advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who don't have a school nurse..

1. Default For those who don't have a school nurse..

Is there always some sort of aide if there's not a nurse there M-F all day? What happens if the nurse is only there a few hours a day and a child feels sick outside of the nurse's hours? Just curious really.. I never knew there wasn't always a FT nurse in all schools until reading posts here.
    Kristen

Mom to
    DD 5: 10/11/2008- diagnosed 3/31/09 at 1.5 years.
    3/31/09- 01/2012- Humalog and NPH
    01/2012- 04/18/2013- Humalog and Lantus
    04/18/2013- Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping
    09/13- back to MDI with Apidra and Lantus

DS born July 29, 2013

Our school nurse floats between two schools about a mile and a half apart, so she can pretty much be whereever she's needed most. There is a health aide in each school at all times, so when the nurse is at a particular school that means there are two people in the nurse's office.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013

My daughter was diagnosed last year at age 9. She attends a small private school with no nurse. The secretary also manages the health room and she's our main contact. The school immediately trained all lower school faculty and office staff (15 people). The ADA sent a nurse who did the Safe at School training plus the glucagon certification that is available for non-nurses in our state.

My daughter has always tested herself in her classroom. She used to use the office phone and now texts if she needs help. At first, a parent came at lunch to verify her calculations and dose. After awhile she called to verify the dose. Now she's on a pump and doesn't call or text unless she needs help.

There are low kits in every classroom. If she needs more than that, a friend goes with her to the office.

She has a medical plan, but not a formal 504. We found out recently that the school uses Title 2 funds for professional development. Those are federal funds, and we mentioned to the school that they then were subject to Section 504. They agreed. They haven't begun writing 504s, but they would need to if a parent requested it. They likely would not have to provide an aide, but would have to basic care - bg testing and treat lows. The accommodations have to be "reasonable", and what's "reasonable" depends on many factors.

If our daughter was younger, we would have needed something different, and I'm not sure what that would have looked like.
    DD dob 3/03; Dx 1/17/13; Omnipod w/Novalog 8/13; Dexcom 12/13
    DS dob 9/2/2006; non-D
    DS dob 7/22/13; non-D

In my school district there is a clinical aide in the health clinic, if that person is out and the School Nurse is not there then there is usually an front office person that has also been trained on the school policies and students with health conditions.

If they can not handle being down the clinical aide and the school nurse can not be there then the send a Sub. clinical aide. This is what I do< I am a Sub clinical aide in my district, and I have worked everyday that I have wanted to, covering schools health clinics since before school started this year.

It pretty simple if a kid is too sick to be in class they go home. But they would go home if the Nurse was there too, they would not stay at school just because a school nurse was there.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

I trained the school secretary to help with the daily tasks. If they had any questions, they could call or e-mail me. I also worked very close by, as did my husband. Either one could get to the school quickly, if needed.

I recall those years as being uneventful.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

My 4 year old goes to preschool M,W,F. The nurse is there Tues and Thurs. His teacher, her teacher's aide, the secretary and at least two of the after care staff know how to take care of him. The nurse scheduled the pump company to do hands on training with the pump. Even the principal attended that and other classes from the hospital.
    Amy
    Mother to Cody, dob 2/8/06, non-D
    and Tyler, dob 3/16/09, dx'd 8/2/11, peanut allergy
    Pumping with MM Revel 10/19/11

7. Default

It's nice to see that if there's no nurse, there are other people (like secretaries, etc) that step up to the plate.

What I meant by "what if there's a child who feel s sick but no nurse" is, who calls the shots to send them home? I know our school nurse has to weed out who's really sick and who just wants to go home lol
    Kristen

Mom to

DS born July 29, 2013

Our school has a RN their all the time. We are in constant contact with each other. They have two other subs that know how to take care of her in case she can't be their. Also they have taught a few teachers aids and the teacher how to treat her and give her shots. Kind of funny story her teacher this year told her she is awesome at giving shots since they give them to her goats and cows all the time. You should of seen my daughters face! However our school is really small and we are in the middle on consolidating. There is rumor that we will be going down to one nurse for both schools. However myself and the four other type 1's moms will not let that happen. I also have been fortunate that my daughter is the youngest and the teachers and nurse have already cared for type 1's. They also take care of her the way I want her taken care of not what riley sends. Riley made a change in October and the nurse called me and wanted to know if I wanted the change or not. She also text me her numbers. I love that she is never affraid to ask. Also anytime she is over 250 she has already checked ketones.
    Daughter diagnosed 10/29/12 at 6yrs old
    Another daughter that is 15 months, non diabetic

Quote Originally Posted by missmakaliasmomma View Post
    It's nice to see that if there's no nurse, there are other people (like secretaries, etc) that step up to the plate.

What I meant by "what if there's a child who feel s sick but no nurse" is, who calls the shots to send them home? I know our school nurse has to weed out who's really sick and who just wants to go home lol
    Most have policies for those that get an automatic pass home: ie: temp above 100.4 / vomiting/ diarrhea / skin conditions/ breathing issues.

In my district, if a kid wants to call home I have to let them. At that point I try to tell the contact person what I am observing, but I do try to run thru fixable things first.

It is an unfortunate thing that many kids come to the clinic with a stomach ache because they have not eaten or because they are constipated. Others need a break from some type of stressor in their day.

It is an interesting job. And sometimes I really do hate when a parent chooses to come and pick up a kid just because they called home. I always try to express what I see and tell the parent to talk to their kiddo and then we can talk about what will happen. But it is the parents choice unless It is noted that the child may not go home without administration approval.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie251 View Post
    Our school has a RN their all the time. We are in constant contact with each other. They have two other subs that know how to take care of her in case she can't be their. Also they have taught a few teachers aids and the teacher how to treat her and give her shots. Kind of funny story her teacher this year told her she is awesome at giving shots since they give them to her goats and cows all the time. You should of seen my daughters face! However our school is really small and we are in the middle on consolidating. There is rumor that we will be going down to one nurse for both schools. However myself and the four other type 1's moms will not let that happen. I also have been fortunate that my daughter is the youngest and the teachers and nurse have already cared for type 1's. They also take care of her the way I want her taken care of not what riley sends. Riley made a change in October and the nurse called me and wanted to know if I wanted the change or not. She also text me her numbers. I love that she is never affraid to ask. Also anytime she is over 250 she has already checked ketones.
    I've been very lucky too. We have a somewhat smallish school (a lot smaller than what I went to growing up) and she has an RN with her, a school nurse, and multiple subs, only one of those subs though knows about my daughter specifically. We did have an issue one day last week where it seemed like every single nurse called out and they just didn't have enough coverage. My husband went in from 9-11 (did lunch) and I went in at 1- 2:30 and covered snack. It worked out fine, but made me wonder "so if this is ok, does she really need her nurse?" :/

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    Most have policies for those that get an automatic pass home: ie: temp above 100.4 / vomiting/ diarrhea / skin conditions/ breathing issues.

In my district, if a kid wants to call home I have to let them. At that point I try to tell the contact person what I am observing, but I do try to run thru fixable things first.

It is an unfortunate thing that many kids come to the clinic with a stomach ache because they have not eaten or because they are constipated. Others need a break from some type of stressor in their day.

It is an interesting job. And sometimes I really do hate when a parent chooses to come and pick up a kid just because they called home. I always try to express what I see and tell the parent to talk to their kiddo and then we can talk about what will happen. But it is the parents choice unless It is noted that the child may not go home without administration approval.
    I've had experience with that. My sister was one of those kids -and still is- that get sick when they start to get stressed. She gets stressed very easily so is sick a lot. Well I say "alot" but it's just more than I get sick. I had to ..pick my daughter up once from school because she had a fever of.. I wanna say 100. something. There's was about 8 other kids in there when I picked her up. What a fun job that must be! Her nurse had to sub in the nurse's office when she didn't come in one day. She told me the next day "If she's not coming into school can you pleaseeee let me know so I don't come either" lol. She said the nurse's office is crazy and in her 1/2 day there, she saw a little over 100 kids.

The only time my daughter has felt sick was when she was hungry but she will not go to the nurse's office because she's afraid she has to go home everytime she goes now.. I cant keep up with her hunger though, she's seriously always hungry, even 10 minutes after a meal, she could eat a whole meal again.
    Kristen

Mom to

DS born July 29, 2013