advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Times Today, "childhood diabetes"

Angry NY Times Today, "childhood diabetes"

New York Times published today an article by Sarah Kershaw p.14 Week in Review section titled, " Don't Even Think of Touching That Cupcake". The piece discussed, in part, how schools cope with sweet treats in the classroom in this current environment of health consciousness. However, the author states, and I quote,

"While the merits of banning goodie bags filled with Reese's and Skittles seem obvious - especially at a time when the risk of childhood diabetes () is high for American children - many parents draw the line at cupcakes."

Please consider joining me in writing to the Times to alert them to this sloppy error by thier journalist. This is not the first such error by the Times but it is one of the most flagrant.

The article is very mis-leading..if she were talking directly about type 1 diabetes..but as well all know..most people do not realize that there are two different diseases..
    Her quote is correct as far as the incress of children being diagnosed with early onset adult diabetes. The rate of children developing type 2 has become very evident over the past few years. Actually thats what Deanna's Dr first thought Deanna had because she was overweight for her age. thas was until her blood work came back and a morning BG of 455 was taken after eating just a small bowl of cheeroos. Its really sad that the general public lumps all children being diagnosed with diabetes as one in the same disease. Thats why its so important to get our message out to anyone who will listen ( and to the ones who wont) that our children did nothing to get this monster, no mater how many cupcakes they ate.
    [SIGPIC]
    Barb
    Mom to Deanna 14
    DX T1 July 25th 2006

Started pumping with Blue MM722 sept 25th 2007
    and to Angel 20 non D
    College Student, face painter,cupcake maker http://www.faceartistrybymizzangel.com/
    Deanna's JDRF Walk Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyVSZya2lB0

GOSH yes this is irritating!!

I've already explained a thousand times, YES he can have that, NO he didn't get it from too much sugared cereal...*sighs*

The sad part is, the media could do so much good for the cause if they would only be more educated about the facts.
    Mom to Stuart, age 13, dx'd 5-25-04, Ashley, 25, and Richie, age 22

I've sent Ms. Kershaw an email. This happens so often, I should just save a formletter in MS Word and send it whenever there is an article like this!
    Lucy
    Mom to Isabelle, 4 years old, dx at 17m, pumping MM522 and CGMS
    Wife to Fred, dx at 33, pumping MM522 and CGMS
    Mom to Evan, 2 years old, non-D

That bugs me. There is so much misinformation out there, people can hardly help being ignorant.

I asked about the carbs in the snowcone syrup at the fair, explaining that my son is diabetic. She didn`t want to sell me a snowcone after that, but did in the end.
    Mom to 11yr old
    Dx May 2007
    Started on NPH/Novorapid, then MDI- Lantus/Novorapid
    Now Pumping with Paradigm 722 but sensors not covered
    Novorapid/6mm quickset

I emailed her also. Why does there seem to be an abundance of these articles lately?

Stephanie
    Mom of:
    Danielle, 17 (singingdiabetic9993), diagnosed 12/05 at age 12.
    Pumping with an Purple Minimed Revel, Mios
    diagnosed 11/08 with Auto-immune Thyroid, no meds yet
    Matthew, 14, non-diabetic
    Wife of Brian, 22 years

http://bsdmhutch.blogspot.com/

Thanks for they comment - It's great to be able to connect with other parents and not have to be this mad alone -

I emailed her too. I'm so tired of this crap!

Iana~T1 dxd 6-91 pumping with new clear MM722, mom to
    10yo Grace~T1 dxd 12.3.05, pumping MM 522
    A1c 8.4% in 07.09
    7yo Mercy~A1c 5.6, No Antibodies at testing 07.16.08

Married to Tom (BigT)~T2 dxd 10.07, currently no meds after bariatric surgery in May 2010, 120 lb lost!

My step-kids, both non-D:
    10yo Alexander
    5yo Hannah

My last A1c~8.9% on 10.18.10 this WILL get better!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    New York Times published today an article by Sarah Kershaw p.14 Week in Review section titled, " Don't Even Think of Touching That Cupcake". The piece discussed, in part, how schools cope with sweet treats in the classroom in this current environment of health consciousness. However, the author states, and I quote,

"While the merits of banning goodie bags filled with Reese's and Skittles seem obvious - especially at a time when the risk of childhood diabetes () is high for American children - many parents draw the line at cupcakes."

Please consider joining me in writing to the Times to alert them to this sloppy error by thier journalist. This is not the first such error by the Times but it is one of the most flagrant.
    Well I did have to give them some credit as they do have a link online that explains the difference between the two types of diabetes albeit in a round about way. and they do need to say that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and saying that you can't get type 2 from eating sugar either. I just wish they would get the facts straight. Sugar does not cause diabetes. If it did no one would be eating anything with it included.

Default here's the author's reply

Here's my message to the author of the article and her reply:

"Hi there, thanks for writing. I hear your concerns about using diabetes as a catchall term for both diseases. i would obviously have explained if the piece were about that, but i will check with the editors on whether we can do a clarification.

if you are in touch with other parents, as i received several emails like this, please pass that on. The paper takes diabetes in both forms very seriously and has written extensively on the subject, where there is the opportunity to explain the differences. thanks again --

Sarah Kershaw"

"Dear Ms. Kershaw, I was deeply disturbed and saddened when I read your article. My daughter has Type I Diabetes. I assure you, it has nothing to do with overeating. You are confusing it with Type II Diabetes. Type I, or Juvenile Diabetes, is purely an autoimmune disease. My daughter was diagnosed at 17 months, after eating a very healthy diet, and having never touched a cupcake. This confusion between Type I and Type II diabetes is common, and it causes all Type I diabetics and their families great distress to be blamed for their diabetes. It is not their fault! Can you imagine growing up with this stigma? Please, I implore you, research diabetes thoroughly and print a correction. Please don't propagate this misconception."
    Lucy
    Mom to Isabelle, 4 years old, dx at 17m, pumping MM522 and CGMS
    Wife to Fred, dx at 33, pumping MM522 and CGMS
    Mom to Evan, 2 years old, non-D