advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel scammed by the Medtronic technology upgrade--not good for kids!

Default I feel scammed by the Medtronic technology upgrade--not good for kids!

I just received my email from Medtronic telling me that the guarantee that I had for my son's new pump will no longer be honored because the FDA has not approved the pump and sensors for children under 16. This was the entire reason that we upgraded to the Revel---because they were running this guarantee. I feel scammed. I am frustrated and angry at Medtronic for telling me this knowing that the FDA approval was only covering age 16 and up. Had I known this I would have waited to buy the new pump technology now. Nothing was wrong with our Paradigm pump---it was just out of warranty. What are others thinking of this announcement? Here it is in black and white:

To the Parent/Guardian of ALEXANDER,

Medtronic Diabetes announced today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration?s (FDA) approval of the MiniMed 530G? with Enlite?.

When you purchased the MiniMed? Paradigm Real-Time Revel? system with Sof-sensor?, you enrolled in the New Technology Guarantee Program. For eligible participants, this program guaranteed an upgrade to our latest technology at no additional cost.

At this time the FDA has approved the MiniMed 530G system with Enlite for persons with diabetes ages 16 and above. Our records indicate that your child is under the age of 16, and as a result we are unable to offer the MiniMed 530G system with Enlite under the New Technology Guarantee Program.

We understand this is disappointing, and want to offer you guidance on additional actions you may take:

1) Please have your child continue using the current MiniMed Paradigm Revel insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor.

2) We will be conducting a clinical trial to seek FDA approval but this is a long process and will take time to complete. Rest assured we will contact you at that time.

3) In the meantime, we encourage you to speak to your child?s healthcare provider if you have any questions about your child?s specific therapy needs.

We value you as a customer and appreciate your commitment to Medtronic. Should you have any further questions, please call 1.800.646.4633, option 8, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Time.

At your service,

Medtronic Diabetes
    Wendy
    Mom to Alex, age 11, dx'd 3/07, Pumping on MM since 10/07. Waiting for upgrade to 530G and Enlite sensors. Used MM CGMS for 3 years--- stopped because it was a pain in the neck. Hopeful for Enlites.

Mom to Ethan, age 12, Non-D, no antibodies but HIGH risk per PANDA study, Autism Spectrum Disorder

Whoa,that is messed up. I am so sorry
    Sarah mom to
    Ian 13
    Sophie-11 dx Nov 6 2012 TSlim G4
    Taci 7
    Leah 5

I've never heard of that upgrade program before (never was offered to us). I think, honestly, that IF the technology is something that your doctor deems needed, then you'll be able to get your insurance to pay for a new pump, regardless of what Minimed says.
    son, age 14; dx 2005 @ age 5
    Pumps: Cozmo 2006; Revel 2010
    CGMS: MM 2010; Dexcom G4 2013

What would happen if you presented Medtronic with a letter of medical necessity from your endo for an upgrade? They can't market to you since your child is under the age, but so many of our kids are wearing devices not yet approved for kids because of letters of medical necessity. I wouldn't roll over and accept this without doing whatever hoops you can jump through if you bought wanting the 530G.

I would be livid that they didn't make those details clear at the time. If you hadn't bought that pump, you could be getting the 530G without hassle now. Sometimes I'm really beginning to wonder about the Medtronic's corporation and the way they treat their customers. If the MySentry had been reasonably priced (like $100 for the baby monitor it is) to correct the volume problem, we would have never switched to Dexcom. As it is, I don't see us switching back to their CGM even with Enlite's release. Now we know how annoying their CGM is compared to Dexcom, that it quits reading if in "need" of a calibration, that it doesn't read far. Today my daughter's receiver was downstairs and woke both of us from naps even though we weren't anywhere near it. That is better than alarms that can't be heard and suspension of insulin. Don't get me wrong; I'd love low glucose suspend but first I want alarms that can be heard so that we don't get to the point of needing insulin suspended. KWIM?
    Last edited by MomofSweetOne; 09-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Our Rep just texted me back to say we will be covered with a Letter of Medical Necessity so I think we should all still be good, but we will see what happens as this moves forward.
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ndiggs View Post
    Our Rep just texted me back to say we will be covered with a Letter of Medical Necessity so I think we should all still be good, but we will see what happens as this moves forward.
    Good to hear. Let us know how it goes. I am hoping a letter of medical necessity will help my son trial and get the new technology.
    Michelle, mom of 2 and wife of an amazing husband

J DS age 12. MDI humalog and lantus then 3/2013 started pumping Minimed Paradigm Real Time Revel
    CGM since July 2013
    Type 1 dx on 11-20-2012.
    Graves Disease dx 11-20-2012
    ADHD
    Systemic JRA dx 2004 remission since 2006

JJ non DD

Quote Originally Posted by Ndiggs View Post
    I hope this means that if a letter of necessity is written by the ped endo that the guarantee will be honored. I would not feel right having my insurance company pay for another pump when we just received the Revel less than 6 mos ago. I have not even opened the transmitter box that we were sent because we were only interested in the enlite transmitter and sensors. I returned the 3 boxes of sensors that came with the transmitter and my insurance company has yet to be reimbursed. I need to make sure this happens.
    Wendy
    Mom to Alex, age 11, dx'd 3/07, Pumping on MM since 10/07. Waiting for upgrade to 530G and Enlite sensors. Used MM CGMS for 3 years--- stopped because it was a pain in the neck. Hopeful for Enlites.

Mom to Ethan, age 12, Non-D, no antibodies but HIGH risk per PANDA study, Autism Spectrum Disorder

as a follow up, or rep was at a JDRF walk today with our Endo, and our endo is sending out the new script on Monday, so hopefully I will know more on how it is going to work by Monday Afternoon or Tuesday
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!

I don't really understand this. The "New Technology Guarantee Program" is what Medtronic promised its current patients so that you could trade in your old pump for no charge, right? Are they saying that no one under 16 can get a 530g, or that they just can't get it free? (And I'm pretty sure that they're just saying that they can't get it free. Pumps aren't FDA approved for very small children and endos prescribe them off-label all the time.) So why would the FDA care whether insurance pays for it or you get it for free?

In other words, what on earth would a letter of medical necessity have to do with getting the new pump for free?
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    I don't really understand this. The "New Technology Guarantee Program" is what Medtronic promised its current patients so that you could trade in your old pump for no charge, right? Are they saying that no one under 16 can get a 530g, or that they just can't get it free? (And I'm pretty sure that they're just saying that they can't get it free. Pumps aren't FDA approved for very small children and endos prescribe them off-label all the time.) So why would the FDA care whether insurance pays for it or you get it for free?

In other words, what on earth would a letter of medical necessity have to do with getting the new pump for free?
    More smoke and mirrors on Minimed's part

I was told that anyone purchasing a Revel after March 1 (not totally sure about this date, but I think it's the one our endo threw out there) would be able to upgrade to the new pump at no cost, because it was so close to being approved. The MM rep that kept calling me because we were out of warranty, also talked about the Technology Guarantee Program when I mentioned that we were waiting for the new pump and sensors (there was more to our waiting than that, but that was none of his business)

MM is now saying that if you are under 16, the Technology Guarantee doesn't apply to you until the pump is approved for pediatric use. I doubt a letter of medical necessity is going to sway MM, but it could be used to get insurance to cover the new pump before the end of the warranty period.

Whoever came up with this mess at Minimed isn't very bright, they've been touting this Tech Guarantee for months and then yanked it for a subset of their patients that they promised it to. That's going to tick a lot of people off, I know I would be beyond livid had we stayed with Minimed and then received the email that the OP received.

Our T:slim just arrived and I'm REALLY hoping that we can make Apidra work. Minimed was my fallback plan, but this fiasco makes me think that going back to Humalog would be a better idea.
    DD (12) dx'd 2008

MM Revel & CGM: 3/2009 - 10/2013

T:slim & Dexcom G4