advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Invitees to 504 meeting?

Default Common Invitees to 504 meeting?

Who is generally at a 504 meeting? We've only had one before. Kaylee was diagnosed mid-year and it was just me (and my husband, I think), the nurse and the principal. It was really just the nurse and I talking things through - I think the principal was just there so he could check off the "yes I attended" box.

Right before school started, the nurse and I put together an informal plan with what the day to day management would look like and that's been going well.

I got the official "Notice of Section 504 Conference" in which we are to review her 504 plan.

The invitees are:

Me
    Nurse
    Principal
    Literacy (p.m.) teacher
    STEAM (a.m.) teacher
    Psychologist
    Social Worker

I was pretty surprised at this large list of attendees. Is this normal? It seems like overkill.

For the record, I don't anticipate any problems, and honestly, it's the taxpayer in me that is irritated. I hate how often my kids have subs when their teachers are in the building - we're paying the teacher his/her salary AND paying for a sub.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013

Our 1st few meetings (when they were fighting me about a 504) it was the teacher, principal, 504 county coordinator, guidence conselor, district nurse, school nurse, another school nurse, and me.

6 years later, now that everything is worked out, it is principal, guidence counselor, school nurse, teacher, and me. The principal and guidence counselor are just formality.

Ours:
    Nurse
    504 coordinator/guidance counselor (same person)
    Current team teachers

We do ours in the spring. The teachers give input as to what worked or what didn't.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

We actually just had Ashleigh's review meeting today. In attendance were:

Myself
    school nurse
    school psychologist
    504 coordinator (he's also the elementary principal)
    and Ashleigh's english teacher. Since the meeting was at 10:30am she was the only teacher who could come down. And she only made it the last 2-3 minutes of the meeting.

The middle/HS principal came to the very first 504 meeting, but he hasn't come to any of the review meetings. There's always 1 or 2 of Ashleigh's teacher's present, the nurse and the 504 coordinator. This was the first time the school psychologist showed up.
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

That list looks pretty standard for our elementary and middle school 504s. I would argue that you want the teachers there because they will instruct the other team teachers on the accommodations that are enacted in the classroom - water, bathroom, trips to the nurse, possibly testing, to be carried out correctly. In my experience it's best that this come directly from you, not through the nurse. I'd also encourage you to make up a single page "sub-sheet" with a photo of your child and the main classroom accommodations.

Hope it goes well.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I guess I can see the need for the teachers and maybe her teachers last year weren't included because with the timing, they would have had no feedback to offer.

The psychologist and social worker still seem unnecessary to me. I've never even met either of them before.

I just emailed her teachers to ask them how it's going, so hopefully won't be surprised with anything on Thursday. I haven't heard from either of them that things weren't going well and I exchanged emails with the nurse and she says she thinks things are going fine. My biggest concern is when she texts her numbers to the nurse - the nurse is just on the receiving end of the texts like me. We can't see what's happening in the classroom. Hopefully it's not too disruptive, because the end result is working great.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013

for ours it was
    us-myself,husband
    principal
    dean of students-assistant principal
    school nurse
    district nursing supervisor
    It seemed like an overkill
    The 504 last year was me,the principal and her 4th grade teacher
    Sarah mom to
    Ian 13
    Sophie-11 dx Nov 6 2012 TSlim G4
    Taci 7
    Leah 5

Ours have been Vice Principal, district nurse and all her teachers (although so far only about half ever show up). They schedule them right after school so no class time is missed. The social worker and psychologist does seem a bit overkill but maybe that's your schools standard procedure.

All the teachers sign as well so everyone's on the same page.
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

At my eligibility meeting (HS):
    • Parent
    • 504/IEP coordinator
    • Administrator who handles discipline with IEP/504 students
    • Student Advocate (they hand both attendance and discipline)
    • one of my teachers
    • A special education teacher (which I'm not quite sure why she was there???)
    • School Nurse
    • Me

Yearly meeting:
    • Parents
    • 504/IEP coordinator
    • Administrator
    • Nurse
    • School Psychologist & Intern (additional issues came into play that required them there)
    • Me
    • One of my teachers was invited, but they rarely came.
    Caitlin, 21
    Type 1 Diabetes
    dxd March 28, 2005 at 12 years old
    Minimed 522 (Oct '07 - July '11); Omnipod (July 2011-April 2014); Starting T:Slim on April 2nd, 2014
    Minimed CGM (Jan '12 - March '12); Dexcom G4 (June '13)

College Student (Dec '14), Majoring in Psychology (orig. Special/Elementary Ed)
    (with the expectation of going to Graduate School for School Psychology right after obtaining my B.A.)

"Deserve your dream." - Octavio Paz

Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    I guess I can see the need for the teachers and maybe her teachers last year weren't included because with the timing, they would have had no feedback to offer.

The psychologist and social worker still seem unnecessary to me. I've never even met either of them before.
    They are there because there are times when they can offer professional support. D kids sometimes get picked on, health teachers often present lessons about "obesity and diabetes", a low, low in front of her classmates could be very upsetting, etc etc. They aren't there to evaluate you, they are there as part of a good team of, hopefully, caring adults who can make your child feel safe and supported in school.

It's good to meet them and have them on your radar as well. You may well end up glad that they know who your child is and who you are.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS