advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: refusing to do section 504

1. Default refusing to do section 504

My daughter is type 1 diabetic and celiac. Sometimes she has stomach sensitivity that causes lot of issues with food. She was also behind in class cause she is severely dyslexic. When I called up the Wilson county 504 plan coordinator she said they don't do 504. I should work with the school and come up with a plan. I find this ridiculous. The school puts all pressure on parents to get things done as they want. I am just lost battling with a nurse and nurse supervisor who wants their life to be as easy as possible.

The 504 plan coordinator said that the school district doesn't do 504s? Um, what?

Send a letter to the 504 plan coordinator and copy the school principal and superintendent officially requesting a 504 meeting. If they refuse, then you can explore your options. But you have to have proof that you requested a meeting and they denied it or failed to act before you can proceed much further.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

you need to look into a IEP. Her learning is impacted, and not just because of D or celiac. Make sure you document everything while in the process.
    mom to
    kenny 19
    erika 16
    matt 15 dx'd 1-14-07 pumping minimed 723, 2-29-08

fur mom to
    cats skeeter 15 RIP angel boy, jack 8, kitkat 7 holly-dolly 3 gizmo 10 and weasel 3
    grandfurmom to tangy, the tiny baby kitten

Dogs-penelope-8 also type 1 diabetic on humalog
    Yoda 2, who should have been named chewy!.

avatar-chilliebean chillin on his house

A written request for an eval for an IEP or 504 is needed. Then the school is required to proceed in a timely fashion. Good luck. The area education agency may also have a child advocate or parent - teacher liason available to help with the process.
    Michelle, mom of 2 and wife of an amazing husband

J DS age 12. MDI humalog and lantus then 3/2013 started pumping Minimed Paradigm Real Time Revel
    CGM since July 2013
    Type 1 dx on 11-20-2012.
    Graves Disease dx 11-20-2012
    ADHD
    Systemic JRA dx 2004 remission since 2006

JJ non DD

Default Call your school principal

I agree - I don't understand why the district person would say this!?

But - I am a teacher in a public school. Where we are, each school has a 504 coordinator onsite. Usually it is the principal or assistant principal - sometimes guidance counselor. They CANT refuse to do one - it is federal law.

I would first contact your principal by phone to see if your school has a school-based 504 coordinator and request a meeting. If no response, then follow up in writing. I had to provide a doctor's letter as proof of my child's health condition for the plan to proceed. Maybe you can go ahead and get working on that on your end.

You should be able to get a quick response.
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (6) d/x 11/09 MM Revel pump with mios; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (10) non-d

Wife to Dan (43) d/x 1978 MM Revel with quick sets

6. Default

CALL BACK ASAP and ask what the reason is for not doing a 504 for her.....we fought and fought with our son's school over wanting to have a 504 inplace last school year only to be told no each time I requested. I was finally told that he couldn't have a 504 b/c he had an IEP for delayed development. I then did some research and found out that the information that should be in a 504 for his diabetes needed to be included in his IEP and should have been added to his IEP at time of his diagnosis which was 6 weeks after his IEP was written.
    Do not waste time, I regret not pushing harder last year. Maybe a call from your Endo's office social worker will make the school understand that they need to work with you and not against you.

Melissa mom of Jarret and Jayden
    JR - age 7 - Dx Jan 22, 2012 Nov 15, 2012 MM Revel Blue with Humalog
    MDI Lantus and Humalog till Nov; also has seizure disorder
    JJ - age 3 - nonD

What state are you in?

8. Default

Momofmarch2boys: Thanks for responding. I plan to speak to the counsellor offered by the doctors office. They had suggested I can do a 504.
    They did put my daughter in IEP but it does not cover the diabetes needs and the nurses role in it.
    I am in Tennessee.
    The section 504 co ordinator said that "we dont encourage anybody to do a secion 504. You need to work with your school and come up with a plan for your daughter" I thought that was what section 504 does in addition to enforcing it.
    At the moment I am so worn out with the stress school causes. The other thing I found so wrong was, we tried getting her in a montessori private school, they said they dont take kids with health issues like diabetes.

Since you already have an IEP you really don't need the 504, it's extra paperwork when all the documents can be rolled into one. Once a student is placed on an IEP anything can be added to encompass every problem or diagnosis they have. Call for an IEP meeting (which can be called at anytime during the year) to amend the modifications and accomodations to add diabetes.

Don't go for the 504, demand that they amend the IEP.

If they refuse to amend the IEP, contact the American diabetes association advocates, and file complaints with OCR.
    Caitlin, 21
    Type 1 Diabetes
    dxd March 28, 2005 at 12 years old
    Minimed 522 (Oct '07 - July '11); Omnipod (July 2011-April 2014); Starting T:Slim on April 2nd, 2014
    Minimed CGM (Jan '12 - March '12); Dexcom G4 (June '13)

College Student (Dec '14), Majoring in Psychology (orig. Special/Elementary Ed)
    (with the expectation of going to Graduate School for School Psychology right after obtaining my B.A.)

"Deserve your dream." - Octavio Paz

I am going to send you a private message. I think I can help you. I'm in TN too (county next to you). We had trouble in 2007 and got things changed for the whole district.