advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with D trash everywhere

Default Dealing with D trash everywhere

I'm getting pretty frustrated with Sophie. She is great with dealing with just about everything D related,except the trash it generates. She will leave strips,lancet caps,and the tiny needle covers that come on the pen needles everywhere and anywhere. We have given her a small container to keep in her bag to put the trash in,if she doesn't feel like walking all the way to the trash cans in the house. I have explained that I will take away priviliges(and have followed through).
    How do other parents deal with this?
    Sarah mom to
    Ian 13
    Sophie-11 dx Nov 6 2012 TSlim G4
    Taci 7
    Leah 5

I'm just as bad with Kaylee's stuff so I'm no help. I would leave little piles on the kitchen counter of the alcohol wipe wrapper, alcohol wipe and last test's test strip. I usually remembered to throw it away when I went to put the needle in the sharps container (we put the cap back on before we put it in the sharps container, so those never turned into trash), but sometimes I would come back an hour later and see my little pile. It's gross and I'm always mad at myself when I see them there.

In the past week when she's been pumping, the trash has decreased considerably since only get a huge amount of trash every three days and that's easy to put in the trash. Just test strips everywhere.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013

We have been dealing with the same issue. I sometimes think it Meredith's way of saying she isn't dealing with more than she has to. If I catch her in the act, I ask her to throw away the test strip (9 times out of 10 its the test strip). If I see it laying around, I'll ask her to pick it up. Sometimes she does, other times, I do. She is good about throwing her stuff away at school, at grandma's, any where but home. So I sometimes give her a little leeway.

She's testing, bolusing for carbs, and keeping track of her Dex. The test strips vaccuum up real easy, too.

Sarah Mom to...
    Holden 13
    Sydney 11
    Meredith 7 (dx 5/12/08) pumping 5/19/11 celiac 8/11 CGM 3/12 DEx g4 8/13
    Wife to Carl

http://sweetceliacandsiblings.wordpress.com

I pick up after her.

It's a lousy, lifelong disease. I'm not going to crap on her for a little trash that is left behind in the caring for that disease.

She knows that out in the world she has to be on it but at home I don't say anything other than maybe to tease her when the drawer in her nightstand gets ridiculous.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

At 10 years old I would not come down too hard on her. It is fine to have expectations about picking up after yourself, but also to keep things in perspective. She is 10 and you said she is great with dealing with all the other crap associated with diabetes. That is very impressive. I would rather have her be on top of dealing with diabetes and be a little sloppy, than pick up after herself but not take care of her diabetes. Or are you expecting her to do it all?

At 10, another way to handle it would be to try the positive approach. Instead of taking away privileges when she is sloppy, give her rewards when she actually does pick up after herself. Just a thought.

Good luck
    Last edited by Christopher; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)

Normally, I just say "hey, get in here and clean this up," just like with any other trash my daughter leaves around. And she's 14. The strips that make their way behind/under furniture just get swept up with everything else.

What do you do when she leaves non-d stuff out?

Quote Originally Posted by danismom79 View Post
    Normally, I just say "hey, get in here and clean this up," just like with any other trash my daughter leaves around. And she's 14. The strips that make their way behind/under furniture just get swept up with everything else.

What do you do when she leaves non-d stuff out?
    We have her pick it up,with"Soph,pick up your trash". We have 4 kids and the expect I on of all of them is to pick up after themselves
    Sarah mom to
    Ian 13
    Sophie-11 dx Nov 6 2012 TSlim G4
    Taci 7
    Leah 5

Quote Originally Posted by wearingtaci View Post
    We have her pick it up,with"Soph,pick up your trash". We have 4 kids and the expect I on of all of them is to pick up after themselves
    And then she comes and cleans it up?

I would treat the diabetes trash exactly like every other piece of trash in the house. If you punish the other kids for leaving trash around, then do the same.
    son, age 13; dx 2005 @ age 5
    Pumps:Cozmo 2006; Revel 2010
    CGMS: MM 2010; Dexcom G4 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    I would treat the diabetes trash exactly like every other piece of trash in the house. If you punish the other kids for leaving trash around, then do the same.
    And maybe take away the option of not walking to the trash cans. Do the other kids have their own containers for when they don't feel like walking to the trash? They either all get treated the same or they don't, but I would try to be consistent.