advertisement

Thread: Metformin and type one diabetes?

Default Metformin and type one diabetes?

Hi there!

Today I was put on metformin by my endo, because my insulin resistance has gotten ridiculous.

I was wondering if anyone else was using metformin to help in their child's treatment regimen? If so, how well is it working for you/them?

I guess I'm just a little unsure of what to expect. I also somehow feel like I failed, although I realize that isn't the case.

Caitlyn, dxd 13 years ago
    On MiniMed insulin pump w/ Humalog
    As of 6/5/13: bipolar II rapid cycling, generalized anxiety, gluten intolerant, and allergic to insulin.
    Taking: Lisinopril 20mg, Metformin 500 mg
    Blogging: iwillfightwithfire.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlynGrisham View Post
    Hi there!

Today I was put on metformin by my endo, because my insulin resistance has gotten ridiculous.

I was wondering if anyone else was using metformin to help in their child's treatment regimen? If so, how well is it working for you/them?

I guess I'm just a little unsure of what to expect. I also somehow feel like I failed, although I realize that isn't the case.
    I do not know much about it, but if your best efforts have not worked then trying something new in your D care choices then all is good.

Double D, not in regards to chest size, is very orevalent, but I do not know much about it yet?
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Hi there!

You haven't failed! Insulin resistance has many causes, & some are absolutely out of your control.

My dd started Metformin in May 2012. There was some minor stomach upset at first, & again when we increased the dosage...mostly nausea. Her BGs have become much steadier, & her TDD is about half what it was before.

Some PWDs claim almost immediate results. For my dd, the initial dosage of 500mg/day did virtually nothing. When we increased the dose to 1000mg/day about 3 weeks later, we saw results the next day. She now takes 1500mg/day....1 tab before each meal. Metformin has a peak at around 3 hrs, then tapers off. We've found that by taking it as she starts the meal, she has no nasty side effects. It also affects her appetite, causing a feeling of fullness.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on BGs, & be prepared to reduce your insulin.
    Mom to 16 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

Hi there!

I used metformin for about a year. It took me from 100 units TDD down to 30ish units. I had no real side effects. A bit of stomach upset in the beginning but nothing unmanageable.

What is your TDD? U-500 insulin might be an option. I found it absorbs much better than large doses of normal insulin.

Good luck!
    Meg
    College Junior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

Thank you for all of the support.

I just started on 500 mg in the morning.

I'm currently taking anywhere between 70-100 units per day, depending on the day/what's been going on, etc.

I'll look into U-500! That might be just what I need alongside the metformin. They were looking to put me on the pills, because I have been gaining weight like mad even though I've been eating normally/less than my friends/peers. So, that's weird.

Caitlyn, dxd 13 years ago
    On MiniMed insulin pump w/ Humalog
    As of 6/5/13: bipolar II rapid cycling, generalized anxiety, gluten intolerant, and allergic to insulin.
    Taking: Lisinopril 20mg, Metformin 500 mg
    Blogging: iwillfightwithfire.wordpress.com

I'm currently taking anywhere between 70-100 units per day, depending on the day/what's been going on, etc.

I'll look into U-500! That might be just what I need alongside the metformin. They were looking to put me on the pills, because I have been gaining weight like mad even though I've been eating normally/less than my friends/peers. So, that's weird.
    Oh, I figured you were using 200+ units. I doubt you need the U-500 with such a relatively low daily dose. It is annoying because you have to bolus 30 minutes before you eat with it since it is regular insulin.

Good luck
    Meg
    College Junior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013