advertisement

Thread: 5 year old with Dexcom G4

1. Default 5 year old with Dexcom G4

We just started my daughter on the Dexcom G4. I have seen online that most kids put it on their arm. I was just polling the group with kids as to where they put the sensor on their child. My daughter is so skinny that she doesn't have much fat anywhere on her so I really don't know where. in the book it says on the belly but this is not approved for children yet so I didn't know if that made a difference. also in the book it says to mount the sensor horizontally and not vertically is there a reason for this?

Thanks

My DD wears it on her belly (the arms are exclusively for the pods ).

Mom to 13 yr old dd, dx 10/2011
    OmniPod 5/2012
    Dexcom G4 5/2013

We put the first few on the back of her arm but moved to belly for privacy and less friction taking off and putting on clothes.

I think you put it where best suits your kid's build and lifestyle. The suggestions are based simply on where it was trialed. Put it where it works best for your kid.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

We use arms, and always vertically. I'm sure they tell you to use the stomach horizontally because that's how it was tested in FDA trials.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

we put ours on the arm vertically, and that has worked the best for us.
    Mom to 3 boys:
    Tanner 5 D'xd 2/1/2013 - MDI Humalog and Lantus 2/1/2013-7/8/2013
    Pinging with Green Animas Ping 7/8/2013
    CGMing with Dexcom G4 since June 13 2013

Spencer 7 , and Romney 9

"Sometimes superheroes reside in the hearts of small children fighting big battles"

My son is 6 and is very thin. We mostly put it on his bottom because that's where it stays on him the best. We use upper arms when we have to, but even when I really tape it down, it seems to get itchy and he inevitably ends up scratching it and pulling on it so much that the sensor fails early. Last week we tried it on his abdomen (at his request), but he had the same issue as with his arms. I think it's because the new sensor has such a high profile that it gets knocked around a lot more.
    Mom to E, 5 years old, dx'd 3/11, pumping with the Ping since 6/11 (Novolog), Dexcom 7 (now G4) since 5/12
    L, 2 years old, non-D
    C, 9 months old, non-D

My daughter likes hers in the small of her back, below her waistband and above her underwear. She prefers the pods on her arms.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Default back of arm

My son is 6 and we have been using Dexcom since February. Since we use legs and rear for pump sites, we have been using Dexcom exclusively on arms. I have begun putting an extra liquid adhesive on the tape before putting it into place - this helps us get more use out of the sensor. Typically he can wear 11-12 days.

You might look into getting some liquid adhesive to help. I ordered over Amazon for about $15 - large bottle of liquid.

Good luck!
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (6) d/x 11/09 MM Revel pump with mios; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (10) non-d

Wife to Dan (43) d/x 1978 MM Revel with quick sets

9. Default

Thanks for all the info she has kept it on her arm for 7 days now. We will see how long it will last, after her shower on Sunday it came up with ??? we waited awhile and then restarted the sensor been working since. if it makes it to the end of this 7 day cycle we will be thrilled. We did get some skin-tac to try but so far the sensor is staying on fine.

Quote Originally Posted by franzenel View Post
    We just started my daughter on the Dexcom G4. I have seen online that most kids put it on their arm. I was just polling the group with kids as to where they put the sensor on their child. My daughter is so skinny that she doesn't have much fat anywhere on her so I really don't know where. in the book it says on the belly but this is not approved for children yet so I didn't know if that made a difference. also in the book it says to mount the sensor horizontally and not vertically is there a reason for this?

Thanks
    We started my dd at 4.5 yrs, and even at 8.5yrs she is less than 60lbs, very thin and muscular. (She was at the most 40 lbs at 5yrs )

We use the arms and legs for sensors, and we place them vertically, hooking in at the top and clipping at the bottom. I am sure that they do not recommend otherwise because it was not tried in the studies that way.

We simply pinch up and tilt slightly back to try to make sure it is in not in muscle.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust