advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious- Has anyone switched back to MDI from the pump?

1. Default Curious- Has anyone switched back to MDI from the pump?

We're having a lot of issues with the pump right now. It's been really frustrating and I'm thinking about going back to mdi for my dd. Problems are blood in cannula, air bubbles in tubing and reservoir causing her to not get insulin, had to replace pump once already under warranty for not delivering insulin, stuff like that.

It's only been almost 3 months since she's been pumping but these problems don't seem like the type that would just go away.

What I want to know is if anyone has been so excited to get the pump, and then be disappointed to the point of going back to syringes. I'm seriously considering it because it's been problem after problem. I'm going to try one last infusion set and if that doesn't correct the blood in cannula, I think that will be it for us.

I really thought it would make things better for my daughter, but it honestly hasn't seemed to do much, except we can fine tune her basals overnight.

If you have gone back to mdi, how was the adjustment? Do you regret it? What were the reasons you went back to mdi in the first place?
    Kristen

Mom to
    DD 5: 10/11/2008- diagnosed 3/31/09 at 1.5 years.
    3/31/09- 01/2012- Humalog and NPH
    01/2012- 04/18/2013- Humalog and Lantus
    04/18/2013- Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping
    09/13- back to MDI with Apidra and Lantus
    Currently pumping with Novolog

DS born July 29, 2013

Many of the issues you are having are common pump issues. They don't usually happen all at once as you are experiencing. If the darn thing weren't so expensive, it would have been thrown out the window many times. But then things calm down and the sites last almost 3 days, the pump does not break down for a year(dd is on her 4th or 5th in 5 yrs), etc. and one can appreciate the benefits.

I think you should give it a little more time to figure out how to make it work best for your child. Call your pump rep and ask for help. Ask for the name of a CDE at Animas. Call your endo clinic. Then if you are still frustrated, go back to shots and what works best for your child. You need not feel guilty for not pumping.

DD takes lots of pump breaks, especially during bikini season. She also gets tired of wearing it 24/7. When back on MDI, she divides her basal into 2 doses so she can have less insulin working hard at night.
    Helen, mom of active 18 year old
    Feb 2014 switched to Animas Vibe with integrated DEX, Inset II
    2008-2014 MM722 and Mio's

We haven't but I know people who have. They usually end up going back to the pump at a later date. With all your problems and frustrations it may be good to go back to MDI for a while then try again later if it seems like a better time. Sometimes when I get frustrated in the moment it's better to go back to what I know for a while then dive in again later.
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by missmakaliasmomma View Post
    We're having a lot of issues with the pump right now. It's been really frustrating and I'm thinking about going back to mdi for my dd. Problems are blood in cannula, air bubbles in tubing and reservoir causing her to not get insulin, had to replace pump once already under warranty for not delivering insulin, stuff like that.

It's only been almost 3 months since she's been pumping but these problems don't seem like the type that would just go away.

What I want to know is if anyone has been so excited to get the pump, and then be disappointed to the point of going back to syringes. I'm seriously considering it because it's been problem after problem. I'm going to try one last infusion set and if that doesn't correct the blood in cannula, I think that will be it for us.

I really thought it would make things better for my daughter, but it honestly hasn't seemed to do much, except we can fine tune her basals overnight.

If you have gone back to mdi, how was the adjustment? Do you regret it? What were the reasons you went back to mdi in the first place?
    Blood in the cannula on a regular basis sounds like either a problem with your insertion technique, the site location, or possibly even the type of site you're using. Your pump rep or endo's office should be able to offer advice for any of these situations.

Are you sure you're getting the bubbles out of the cartridge before connecting/priming? In 3 1/2 years with the Ping, we've had bubbles in the tubing one time. My hubby filled the cartridge & left a very large bubble.
    Mom to 16 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

We did. My dd pumped for 5 years. We took her off it for a beach vacation and she never wanted to go back. It was really all her choice (I still miss temp basals sometimes). My friend's dd also switched back after years on the pump. They had lots of site issues due to her dd's super sensitive skin.

In some ways I find MDI easier and my dd's A1cs have been better (probably partly due to exiting toddlerhood) so I can't complain if that is what she wants.

But honestly if you are 3 months in I'd say give it longer before deciding.
    Roberta
    homeschooling mom to 4, incl Maris, age 12, dx at 19 mo., Recently hit the 10 yr anniversary!!
    former Cozmo user, now on MDI of levemir and novolog
    Dexcom G4 user since 12/13
    Looking to connect to other families dealing with diabetes in New England? Check out: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...swithdiabetes/

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle'sMom View Post
    Blood in the cannula on a regular basis sounds like either a problem with your insertion technique, the site location, or possibly even the type of site you're using. Your pump rep or endo's office should be able to offer advice for any of these situations.

Are you sure you're getting the bubbles out of the cartridge before connecting/priming? In 3 1/2 years with the Ping, we've had bubbles in the tubing one time. My hubby filled the cartridge & left a very large bubble.
    We use the inset 30s. I can't see how you can really do that wrong. The site location makes a little more sense to me because she's very lean and I'm thinking the 13mm cannula is too long even though its angled. I called the place we get the inset 30s from and requested the regular insets so I will try those and see if it gets any better.

In regards to the air bubbles- Yes, definitely. I act like it's my job to get those air bubbles out lol. But not only does it happen sometimes in the line, the cartridge itself winds up having a lot of air bubbles once I go to change it. I definitely think if she wasn't 4 and wasn't really insulin sensitive, air bubbles wouldn't be that much of a problem because she'd be getting a lot more insulin at one time anyway.

I emailed the endo and she forwarded my concerns to the woman she deals with at animas. I'm assuming I'll receive an email/call from her tomorrow.
    Kristen

Mom to

DS born July 29, 2013

Do you use room temperature insulin? Bubbles are a much bigger problem if cold insulin is used.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    Do you use room temperature insulin? Bubbles are a much bigger problem if cold insulin is used.
    I actually do use cold insulin. I never thought there was a difference if it was warm or cold. I always keep it cold to prolong it's life. Didn't think of that. I will definitely see if it makes a difference on her next site change. Thank you
    Kristen

Mom to

DS born July 29, 2013

We use cold insulin. That's why we let the cartridge sit after filling. As it warms to room temp, the bubbles rise to the top. Much easier to get them out.
    Mom to 16 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

Yes, using cold insulin will make a huge difference with respect to bubbles. And I think the fact that you can't control the angle of insertion with the inset 30s is causing a problem. You probably need to go shallower than it allows.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014