advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the dome

Default Under the dome

Anyone else catch the teen girl with diabetes. Crap.
    Amy
    mom to Hanna,age 16, dxd 2/18/08. Animas ping 9/08-5/12. Medtronic revel and cgm 5/12-3/13. Omnipod 3/13 Novalog; Dexcom 11/13

Josh, 19 non-D
    Rachel 13 non-D
    Eliana 4 non-d
    http://lifeindiabetesland.wordpress.com/

Just makes one glad that Steven King doesn't actually make the rules

Some time ago, when Maddie and I were watching one of the PBS "House" series, this one I think, http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/ she noticed and said, "Mom, I wouldn't be alive, would I?"

Yeah! for the real 21st century!
    Last edited by Sarah Maddie's Mom; 06-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    Just makes one glad that Steven King doesn't actually make the rules

Some time ago, when Maddie and I were watching one of the PBS "House" series, this one I think, http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/ she notice and said, "Mom, I wouldn't be alive, would I?"

Yeah! for the real 21st century!
    Hanna has a morbid fascination with post-apocalyptic stories. They just creep me out. I just read Diabetes Rising although I didn't finish it, it did make me pretty happy to be living now!
    Amy
    mom to Hanna,age 16, dxd 2/18/08. Animas ping 9/08-5/12. Medtronic revel and cgm 5/12-3/13. Omnipod 3/13 Novalog; Dexcom 11/13

Josh, 19 non-D
    Rachel 13 non-D
    Eliana 4 non-d
    http://lifeindiabetesland.wordpress.com/

I used to love post-apocalyptic fiction... now, not so much

But Maddie was looking at some computer game recently and it was just that - new ice age and this character mom had to go out in the blizzard to seek medicine for her sick child and she works her way into this bunker of meds and finally breaks into it and she looks around and cries, "Insulin!, nothing but INSULIN!!" OMG did we laugh
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I have no idea about the actual topic of this thread.

But it does remind me to stock my friends fridges with some Lantus!

(my hubby and friend have already vowed to use the arresnal to get insulin if need be because even with "d" she is a strong fighter with a good heart and will be not the last picked kiddo)
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Ya, diabetes kinda takes the fun out of those kind of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2Hanna View Post
    Was going to watch it until I heard about the character with diabetes. Can't bring myself to watch it, it literally gives me an anxiety attack to think about it. Now, I know the odds of this happening are non-existent, but I then start thinking about disasters and it just gets me anxious. Hard not to think about worse case scenarios.

LOL, living where we do I have lots of friends who are prepared for the end of the world. We know to drive to their house if anything freaky ever happens
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

I read the book probably more than 1/2 way through. Eventually I got bored with it and put it down. Awhile later I tried to finish it but ended up skimming through it just to get to the ending. And I though the ending was kind of lame.

I really think sometimes King has no idea how the story he is writing is going to end but eventually has to come up with something. I was disappointed with the end of "It" too. I threw that book at the wall. It was great for 1000 pages...

I'm still going to watch the series. I just cringe at the though of how much D stuff they probably will get wrong. So she pulled out of that seizure how?
    Dave (non D)
    Father of Jacob (Type 1, dx'd 11/2005, born 12/11/2000)
    Medtronic Revel 722 since 1/08/2012; Apidra
    AccuCheck Aviva meter, Sure T infusion set
    Guardian CGM since 1/9/2012
    Former Animas and Dexcom user
    Husband to Tammy, Father of Andrea, 13 and Logan, 16 (all non D)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde
    "Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mom2Hanna View Post
    We just watched it. Actually, the mother of the teen girl is the one who has diabetes. With all the other character development going on in the show, I doubt there will be much focus on diabetes, but I could be wrong. In the premiere it is just a single line of dialogue mentioning that the mother needs insulin. It looks like a pretty good show so I am hoping they either get their facts right or they don't make diabetes a central theme in the plot. King is usually pretty good with facts in his stories, and since he has a hand in the show maybe they won't screw up too bad.

Danielle really likes science fiction, so we do watch shows like Revolution and Falling Skies, but I am like Sarah, now when I see shows where the world goes to hell, I think about how bad it would be for someone in our situation and it kind of takes the excitement out of it.
    Last edited by Christopher; 06-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob'sDad View Post
    I read the book probably more than 1/2 way through. Eventually I got bored with it and put it down. Awhile later I tried to finish it but ended up skimming through it just to get to the ending. And I though the ending was kind of lame.

I really think sometimes King has no idea how the story he is writing is going to end but eventually has to come up with something. I was disappointed with the end of "It" too. I threw that book at the wall. It was great for 1000 pages...

I'm still going to watch the series. I just cringe at the though of how much D stuff they probably will get wrong. So she pulled out of that seizure how?
    I always think this of King's stories - which is why I LOVE his short stories. Oh, and the Mom - the T1 - didn't have the seizure, their kid did, and another, so I am sure we will learn why soon (I plan on reading the book soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I doubt there will be much focus on diabetes, but I could be wrong.

Danielle really likes science fiction, so we do watch shows like Revolution and Falling Skies, but I am like Sarah, now when I see shows where the world goes to hell, I think about how bad it would be for someone in our situation and it kind of takes the excitement out of it.
    I think this is going to end up being a small crisis later on in the series - I need insulin or else type of story!

Also, Coco loves zombies. So we watch the shows all the time. She did make the connection between an apocalypse and her own death. This made me sad, but she took it well.
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

But Maddie was looking at some computer game recently and it was just that - new ice age and this character mom had to go out in the blizzard to seek medicine for her sick child and she works her way into this bunker of meds and finally breaks into it and she looks around and cries, "Insulin!, nothing but INSULIN!!" OMG did we laugh
    Unfortunately when my DD was dxd, I had read a couple of post apocalyptic novels with diabetic characters. I spent the first night in the hospital not sleeping on the nightmare fold out bed thinking about worse case scenarios and those stupid plot lines. I still think about it sometimes. I don't read them anymore. But my husband does, and he recently read one that shook him up so bad, he threw the book away (a serious crime in our house) and he made me promise never to read it. Something about a dad and his diabetic daughter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tina
    Proud mom to Jordan (18), dxd March 2008
    Pumping Apidra with a blue Animas PING-Dexcom Gen4 (previously Dexcom and Dexcom 7 Plus)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."