advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Relion insulin?

  1. #1

    Default Relion insulin?

    I have been using Humalin R the past few weeks in my pump and it has been working really well. In fact, better then apidra or humalog/novalog have ever worked for me.

    Anyway, all forms of regular insulin are apparently "tier 3" for our prescription coverage which is a really high copay (it is actually cheaper to just buy without insurance from target). It looks like I can get Relion R from Walmart and it is made by the same manufacturer as the normal Novalin R.

    Would you try it? I figure the worst thing that happens is it doesn't work as well and I am high or low for a few days.

    Thanks
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

  2. #2

    Default

    I found this link in an old thread, http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

    I wouldn't hesitate to try it if you feel that R is working for you. It's not made by some second rate manufacturer after all.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15


    "Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I found this link in an old thread, http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

    I wouldn't hesitate to try it if you feel that R is working for you. It's not made by some second rate manufacturer after all.
    Thanks! I have another sample vial left but I may pick some up to try.

    And yes, Regular is working amazingly well. We did a skype session with a CDE who suggested it and it has just been a miracle. It seems like a simple change but it has made my life so much easier
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

  4. #4

    Default

    It is not the same manufacturer as Novolin R, it's the same as Humulin R. They are roughly the same thing, but different companies and the manufacture method is different and some people metabolize them differently.

    I switched from Novolog to Novolin R about two years ago and I've been very happy with it. If it was cheaper for me, I'd definitely use Humulin R (Relion R) but my insurance makes it slightly cheaper for me to use Novolin than Humulin.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

  5. #5

    Default

    I've used Relion R a couple of times in a pinch (since being on analogs). I loved that I could buy a vial of insulin for ~$20-30 without a prescription or insurance. I thought it worked like R. My feeling on switching brands is typically that consistency matters more than any one specific brand in the first place.

  6. #6

    Default

    Can you say how it is working better? why did your CDE suggest it?
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 13, dx'd @11 months and Anna, 18, dx'd @ 17 .

    Keep Calm and Treat the Number

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
    Can you say how it is working better? why did your CDE suggest it?
    Sure. I guess I will give you some background info. Well, I switched from apidra to humalog because of consistently high A1Cs (despite frequent testing and corrections). The bigger concern though was the basically constant swinging from 40-400. My typical BG SD from sensor data was in the 80-120 range on a good day which is obviously way to high. Average BGs were 160-200 usually.

    Humalog worked really well. We also added symlin to try to reduce meal spikes (to 300-400). It resulted in some crazy asymptomatic lows after eating. My CDE came to the conclusion the symlin was making the carbs hit too long after the insulin which makes sense given how symlin works. So I switched to regular insulin and it is working great. My CGM BG average for the past week is 95 with an average SD of 11 (range 8.54-16.7). I am using about 10 units of insulin a day and the 30 dose of symlin 3-5 times a day.

    I will attach 2 CGM graphs to show you the difference. The humalog one is 2 days before I switched and the regular one is 4 or 5 days in.

    Does this answer your questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LantusFiend View Post
    It is not the same manufacturer as Novolin R, it's the same as Humulin R. They are roughly the same thing, but different companies and the manufacture method is different and some people metabolize them differently.

    I switched from Novolog to Novolin R about two years ago and I've been very happy with it. If it was cheaper for me, I'd definitely use Humulin R (Relion R) but my insurance makes it slightly cheaper for me to use Novolin than Humulin.
    Really? The website says Relion R is made by novo nordisk which manufactures Novolin R. I have no real opinion either way though.

    It mentions the manufacturer in the first paragraph. http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    5,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megnyc View Post
    Sure. I guess I will give you some background info. Well, I switched from apidra to humalog because of consistently high A1Cs (despite frequent testing and corrections). The bigger concern though was the basically constant swinging from 40-400. My typical BG SD from sensor data was in the 80-120 range on a good day which is obviously way to high. Average BGs were 160-200 usually.

    Humalog worked really well. We also added symlin to try to reduce meal spikes (to 300-400). It resulted in some crazy asymptomatic lows after eating. My CDE came to the conclusion the symlin was making the carbs hit too long after the insulin which makes sense given how symlin works. So I switched to regular insulin and it is working great. My CGM BG average for the past week is 95 with an average SD of 11 (range 8.54-16.7). I am using about 10 units of insulin a day and the 30 dose of symlin 3-5 times a day.

    I will attach 2 CGM graphs to show you the difference. The humalog one is 2 days before I switched and the regular one is 4 or 5 days in.

    Does this answer your questions?
    so what duration do you have set for on the pump?
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

    impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    so what duration do you have set for on the pump?
    I have it set for 5 hours. I'm pretty sure it takes about 30 minutes to start working and then is pretty even over the next 4 hours before dropping off a bit.

    I usually bolus for a meal about 5 minutes before I start eating.
    Meg
    College Senior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •