advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Started with the new, smaller pod today!

Default Started with the new, smaller pod today!

At first, I was disappointed, as the new ones still have the same general boxy shape, although they are clearly shorter. Not as immediately visible is that they are also much flatter and DD, who has it on her bottom, said it was much lighter and she hardly felt it while lying on her back in bed.

It makes sense, but still surprised me that the needle on the pod fill syringe was shorter too. The cannula is a bit easier to see, not sure about how useful I find the pink tab that indicates that the cannula fired.

I'm interested to see how calculating IOB for carb blouses works, as that is new to us. If it works well, it could make it easier to have a more standard school routine for snacks with carbs (currently, I let DD have a snack with carbs one day a week and there seems to be little rhyme or reason to how we handle lunch-- just a short time later--on those days).

I'm also wondering if our post-pod change routine of a 1.00 unit "priming" bolus and an increased temp basal will change. Tonight we are only doing the temp basal to see how things go.
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

We you out of warranty?
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

Quote Originally Posted by virgo39 View Post
    At first, I was disappointed, as the new ones still have the same general boxy shape, although they are clearly shorter. Not as immediately visible is that they are also much flatter and DD, who has it on her bottom, said it was much lighter and she hardly felt it while lying on her back in bed.

It makes sense, but still surprised me that the needle on the pod fill syringe was shorter too. The cannula is a bit easier to see, not sure about how useful I find the pink tab that indicates that the cannula fired.

I'm interested to see how calculating IOB for carb blouses works, as that is new to us. If it works well, it could make it easier to have a more standard school routine for snacks with carbs (currently, I let DD have a snack with carbs one day a week and there seems to be little rhyme or reason to how we handle lunch-- just a short time later--on those days).

I'm also wondering if our post-pod change routine of a 1.00 unit "priming" bolus and an increased temp basal will change. Tonight we are only doing the temp basal to see how things go.
    I fully admit I haven't read the manual but I'm not currently happy with the new meal IOB calculations. It subtracts meal IOB from a correction under circumstances that I wouldn't normally. Perhaps that's a safety thing but I find we override quite a bit their calculations.

I plan to scour the manual this weekend.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

We got ours but are finishing up the olds pods first. The do look a lot smaller. What exactly does the pink strip mean?
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 15, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8, Type 1 and Celiac, Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Now using Dexcom G4 CGM, loves to sing

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    We you out of warranty?
    @Dan-No, we were in warranty; we purchased out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    I fully admit I haven't read the manual but I'm not currently happy with the new meal IOB calculations. It subtracts meal IOB from a correction under circumstances that I wouldn't normally. Perhaps that's a safety thing but I find we override quite a bit their calculations.

I plan to scour the manual this weekend.
    @swellman-We need to look at this as well. Our current DIA is 4 hours, which has seemed about right, but perhaps we'll adjust it (sounds like others use much shorter times).

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    We got ours but are finishing up the olds pods first. The do look a lot smaller. What exactly does the pink strip mean?
    @Darryl-We do have some of the old pods and were planning on using them, but decided to let DD get started. The pink strip is supposed to indicate that the cannula is inserted. I expected it to be more visible, but it seems to be behind a slightly opaque plastic piece.

UPDATE: A few observations:

So far, all seems to be working well.

The visible portion of the cannula looks shorter to me, though this may just be a function of the new pod. It is a light blue and a bit easier to see.

DD (who has been trending low lately, due some dental stuff (palatal expander) and very active swimming vacation) was low last night more than two hours after the new pod. That is a big change. We typically do what I think of as a "priming bolus" plus an increased temp basal and still end up doing at least a small correction. Last night, we had increased her basal rate but did not give the bolus. We'll be watching what happens with the next pod changes--it would be nice not to feel that we have to "blast" her with (unexplained) insulin when we do pod changes.

We have about a half dozen of the old pods that alarmed or did not prime in the last two months--I'll be interested to see if, when I call them in, Insulet gives me a hard time when I ask for new pods!
    virgo39
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

Quote Originally Posted by virgo39 View Post
    We have about a half dozen of the old pods that alarmed or did not prime in the last two months--I'll be interested to see if, when I call them in, Insulet gives me a hard time when I ask for new pods!
    Good luck ... they told me nope.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

It's interesting how our Insulet rep SWEARS no existing users have the new smaller pods yet. Unreal.
    Son - Age 10 dx July/12. OmniPod Dec/12. Dexcom G4 Feb/13.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
    It's interesting how our Insulet rep SWEARS no existing users have the new smaller pods yet. Unreal.
    They bought the new PDM out of pocket for $199.00 and did not get a upgrade.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

I tried to buy a PDM and they said no.who did you contact and what was the process?
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

Quote Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
    We purchased it out of pocket from our DME provider. The cost of the PDM was not $199 (as suggested by another poster), closer to five times that. We bought one box of pods separately as well.
    virgo39
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)