advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Enlite sensor tips?

Default An Update

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

I wanted to give an update: The enlite sensor readings have stabilized though I'm still not sure they are as accurate as the sof-sensor was for my son but..... I just talked with a very knowledgeable medtronic rep (who wears an enlite) and I learned:

- by continuing to put the IV3000 over the sensor it is causing added pressure on the enlite (which is very sensitive) so that may be effecting his readings. (I did like the extra security 'blanket' of theIV 3000 but am willing to give the sensor-tape alone a try).

- the "Calibration Factor" is very important for the enlite (more than it was before). To calculate the CF: Meter Bg * 18/ISIG and it should be between 1.5 & 20 to calibrate but ideally between 5 & 9 for the most accurate readings.

Thanks again ....I haven't been able to talk TJ into the inner thighs but that sounds like a good place if we can get pass the Yikes factor!

Thanks for the info on when best to calibrate - I will try using it for the next few calibrations to see if there is any improvement - there is still no marked difference in the new sensors for us and at least 4 - 5 times (most often at night) I have had to turn it off and on again and start a new sensor because it was more than 80 points off - I rarely saw that with the sof sensor and a reliable transmitter!! We are at the end of our second full week on the Enlite and all I can say is I am bummed!! Three low suspends this week while sleeping - we haven't dealt with this in 18 months but when I look back on old threads from when our European counterparts started on the Enlite - it appears they also had the same problems with increased sensitivity to any sort of pressure. Maybe this week we were too far up on his leg (wasn't a problem with the sof sensors). But at 2-3 units an hour of basal his body cannot tolerate 2 hours without basal ESPECIALLY in the early morning. We have just been using the Enlite tape so it isn't that. We are using the new transmitter we got free as part of the package deal so I'm going to go back to my old tried and trusted transmitter in the same spot (other leg) for next week to see if there is an improvement. I feel robbed and disappointed after waiting for this for so long and paying out of pocket - I really hope it's just a learning curve for us and things will improve but, jeez, we've been CGM'ing for 3 years - we know what we are doing - it shouldn't be more difficult!!

Ali - I couldn't tell you anything about veins in the legs ... We haven't hit one yet

The needle, insertion and tape are still a plus but that's it so far
    Jacky
    Oscar, 13, dx 11/18/09, Pumping since 6/21/10
    Animas Vibe with integrated Dexcom and Dexcom standalone receiver, Apidra, Comforts since April 1st 2014
    Minimed VEO with integrated CGM, Apidra and Silhouettes 06/10-03/14

3. Default Enlite sensor follow up

Hi, just wondering how you are finding the sensors now. My 7 year old has been using them since June. The first few months were good, then we started using arms and legs. I found the arms had really good correlation. But then we started getting a lot of false lows. I think we may go back to just belly, but even that has issues.

All of our problems were related to the new transmitter we received as part of the package deal we signed on for. Since I had it replaced it's been plain sailing. I haven't seen a false low in a long time. How old is your sensor - they are warrantied for 12 months now so perhaps you can have it replaced. We are considering a move to Dexcom now that it's finally been released in Canada - I'm just afraid he'll lose the Receiver since it's not attached to him.
    Jacky
    Animas Vibe with integrated Dexcom and Dexcom standalone receiver, Apidra, Comforts since April 1st 2014

5. Default

All of it was new in June. She only started the pump in feb, and we decided to wait on the CGM because the new ones were suppose to be approved soon. I'm glad we waited the older ones looked so painful. However, now that I think of it, the transmitter was from feb and came with the older set that we did have come but didn't use. Do you think that could be the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Labradormarj View Post
    All of it was new in June. She only started the pump in feb, and we decided to wait on the CGM because the new ones were suppose to be approved soon. I'm glad we waited the older ones looked so painful. However, now that I think of it, the transmitter was from feb and came with the older set that we did have come but didn't use. Do you think that could be the difference?
    We are still using an older transmitter from October 2012 and it works great with the Enlite (that's how I knew the new transmitter was flaky). It could just be on the outs - do you get any spontaneous restarts where it just goes into warm-up mode for no reason? That's usually a sign. That and the ISIG is really low all the time regardless of what his blood sugar is (we had one transmitter where the ISIG never went above 5). I hope you get to the bottom of it - I would give Medtronic a call, especially as it's still in warranty.
    Jacky

Sure its not an "approved" site -but my DH had the BEST readings, when we did upper back! Like over the scapula area. He had enough meat there, and it didn't get in his way at all! And spot on readings!

Also, it seemed super true to us, that you CANNOT calibrate if your sugar is changing at all... just messed it up and no getting back on track!
    NP with Celiac and Hashimotos
    Wife to DH dx at 9 y/o - OmniPod
    Mum to E - Dx Oct/13 at age 3 - Animas Ping!!!