advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin Tac for DexCom

Default Skin Tac for DexCom

I am looking for a product to help keep my son's DexCom Sensors from pealing at the edges. My Endo recomended Mastisol but from reading hear it seems like most like to try Skin Tac first.

My question is what is the difference between Skin Tac "H" and Skin Tac?
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

We tried skin-tac but it didn't really help and also irritated her skin, it was like a glue.

Fortunately someone recommended Opsite Flexifix to us which has worked very well:

Buy the 2" wide roll - http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-O.../dp/B000PQAYZK

1) Using the grids on the peel-off sheet, cut a piece 21-"grids" in length

2) Cut a rectangle out of the middle as an opening for the sensor. We use a scalpel to make the cutout. The ideal size leaves 2-1/2 grids on either side of the opening in the short dimension, 6-1/2 grids on either side of the opening in the long dimension.

3) Applying it is tricky with the opening in the middle, but if you peel off only the top half of the backing sheet and apply the top half first, then peel and apply the bottom half, it is doable.

When done it will look like this: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/...08796cef_o.jpg (the green grids go away when you peel off the backing), and if you use the dimensions I listed above it will extend a little more on the top and bottom which makes it last longer.

This works much better than tegaderm or skin-tac for us.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Thanks for sharing Darryl, we've been having the same trouble. Looks like Kerri (at six until me) also uses Johnson and Johnson Tough pads - have you guys tried them?
    Sarah
    wife to TJ (t1d for 20yrs) MDI lantus/humalog
    mother to Ethan (non-d) 8 years old
    and Isaac (dx 11/09 at 19 months old) 6 years old, pumping on MM Revel (6wks post dx) with Novolog and Dexcom G4 (love it!!!)
    ~dx with Celiac Disease July 2013

Darryl,

Orriginally I was looking for an additional adhesive. I have tried Mefix which works ok but does not do well once it gets wet. The Tagaderm causes an irritation but is great as far as being waterproof.

I will give the OpSite a try. Do you put it on the same day you change out the site? Is it soft like the Tagaderm or more rigid?
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I am looking for a product to help keep my son's DexCom Sensors from pealing at the edges. My Endo recomended Mastisol but from reading hear it seems like most like to try Skin Tac first.

My question is what is the difference between Skin Tac "H" and Skin Tac?
    Skin Tac comes in single use pouches. Great for on the road. H just comes in a bottle and you put it on with a wand that comes in the bottle.

We use the Skin Tac then reinforce the area with Opsite Flexfix. We get 7 days out of it easily. The Flexfix is tricky to use. Think of trying to use cheap saran wrap and that's it It takes a few tries, but it works well.

Matisol is really strong and when we tried it could only use there product to get it off. My daughter hated the odor and all the flammable warnings on it made me a bit nervous...
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

My dd just started with the G4 a few weeks ago. We were having trouble with them sticking but with this last one I used both skin tac and the Opsite Flexifix Tape.

I followed these instructions for the tape. Now on day 12 and working great.

http://www.d-mom.com/opsite-flexifix-adhesive/
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 14 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

OpSite is a thin, transparent "skin" of a tape. I just cut 4 strips and cover the edges of the dex tape about a week into wear when they begin to peel back. My dd says it's far more comfortable that the heavier tapes.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I too am finding that the G4 do not stick as well as 7+.

What I have done for the past few sensors is different but working better. the site is looking "clean" for longer and not like it is hanging on by a dirty thread.

I take the skin tack liquid in the bottle and soak a Q-tip. Before I apply the sensor I remove the backer and swipe the edges of the adhesive and around the center of sensor where the hard cradle is. (make sure the q-tip is faily wet, otherwise the fibers stick)

I let that dry a bit , then apply to the skin. Then I take my "Cover-Roll" stregch tape and go across the top.

At about a week in I can remove the overtape when it starts to peak up and look dirty and underneith is a clean looking, had time to really stick G4 site. By the end of the next week it has had time to loosen up and it can be pulled without too much fuss.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Darryl,

Orriginally I was looking for an additional adhesive. I have tried Mefix which works ok but does not do well once it gets wet. The Tagaderm causes an irritation but is great as far as being waterproof.

I will give the OpSite a try. Do you put it on the same day you change out the site? Is it soft like the Tagaderm or more rigid?
    It's soft and flexible like Tegaderm, but works a lot better for some reason. We put it on as soon as the g4 and transmitter are inserted, that is important to prevent the start of peeling in the first place.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    It's soft and flexible like Tegaderm, but works a lot better for some reason. We put it on as soon as the g4 and transmitter are inserted, that is important to prevent the start of peeling in the first place.
    Agreed. Timing is everything. If you put it on right away with the new sensor, it stays on and we see little or no peeling. If we wait and do it later, we find that if there is the slightest bit of peeling on the site, then putting this over works just ok and in a day or two it starts to peel also.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn