advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dexcom Share (like MySentry)

Default Dexcom Share (like MySentry)

Check this out on Diatribe.com http://www.diatribe.org/issues/53/new-now-next/3

In February, Dexcom submitted an application to expand the label for the G4 Platinum CGM (continuous glucose monitor) to pediatric patients who are as young as two years old. The FDA normally responds to these applications after 180 days, and we expect a decision from the agency during the second half of 2013. Currently, the G4 is only approved for those who are 18 years and older. Though some children are now using the CGM, they are using it ?off-label,? and not all healthcare providers (HCPs) are comfortable prescribing therapies in this way. CGM can be a tremendous help for improving glycemic control and avoiding hypoglycemia (see conference pearls from diaTribe #51), and most HCPs and researchers believe the G4 Platinum is currently the most accurate CGM on the US market. This approval would give greater access to children who currently have difficulty getting a prescription for the G4.

Dexcom is also working on a new remote monitoring product, Dexcom Share. The product is a cradle that holds the G4 Platinum receiver and plugs into a power outlet at a user?s bedside. Data from the G4 Platinum are then sent via the cradle (using Bluetooth) to a nearby smartphone. That phone then uploads the data to a web-based platform, where it can be monitored by parents or caregivers on their own cellphones. At the ATTD conference, Dexcom showed a picture of a father on a business trip in a taxi, checking his phone with a sigh of relief that his daughter?s CGM reading was 150 mg/dl. Dexcom?s goal is to submit Dexcom Share to the FDA in the second half of 2013, meaning it could be on the market in 2014. Dexcom Share is similar in concept to Medtronic?s FDA-approved remote monitor mySentry ? the key difference is that Share will send CGM readings to smartphones and the web, while mySentry sends pump and CGM readings to a bedside monitor within 50-100 feet.?MN/AB

Tough to google for more info, and the search returns mostly links to articles on the stock price.
    Steve, Dad to
    Sean age 14 dx 12/27/2006
    Aaron age 13 non-D

MM Revel 6-6-2011
    MM 523 6-8-11
    MM 522 1-30-08
    MM CGMS 3/27/08
    Guardian (parental monitor) 10/28/2010

Dexcom G4 3-29-13

Can anyone tell me how to cross-post a thread? This really belongs over in the CGM forum, but I wanted people to see it.

Do I have to just post it twice?
    Steve, Dad to
    Aaron age 13 non-D

MM Revel 6-6-2011
    MM 523 6-8-11
    MM 522 1-30-08
    MM CGMS 3/27/08

Dexcom G4 3-29-13

So I'm a dinosaur and have the last non-smart phone on earth... if you had this, would it need some sort of app that would make it alarm when the numbers hit the low and high mark? Sorry to be so dense
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

So it would have to be plugged into a wall outlet to send data to a smartphone? When she's in bed is the only time I don't want or need it sent to my phone...

Edited to add, I don't mean to be a downer, I just thought they were ahead of this
    Linda, Mom to:

Caroline: 8yrs dx 8/11, Pinging, DexG4 NightScouting
    DS: 13yrs
    DS: 17yrs

Why would they only ask approval to age 2? Seems to me a newborn with D needs it at least as much as a 2 year old.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Why would they only ask approval to age 2? Seems to me a newborn with D needs it at least as much as a 2 year old.
    It's probably hard to find enough kids younger than 2 to do the FDA trials on.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by BittysMom View Post
    So it would have to be plugged into a wall outlet to send data to a smartphone? When she's in bed is the only time I don't want or need it sent to my phone...

Edited to add, I don't mean to be a downer, I just thought they were ahead of this
    Yeah, after I read this I was moderately excited about it. Then I thought about when we'd actually be able to use it, and I realized the answer is just about never. First I thought only at night because it's the only time he stays in one place, but the receiver already picks up a signal from my bedroom so I don't really need it then.

Then I thought, well it would be useful for parents of small children with diabetes, but the same solution applies for the most part - the receiver already has enough range to work all over the house.

It would be useful when Sean is home, and we're out. Because it's not just boosting the signal for greater range (like MySentry), it's uploading to the cloud and I could monitor his numbers from miles away. But he'd have to be in one place with the receiver docked.

Where this will really become useful is when they eliminate the need for the dock and have the transmitter talking directly to a smartphone (G5?) which then uploads to the cloud from anywhere with a cell signal, for a parent or other to monitor from afar.

I suspect this device might allow them to test out the cloud part of this scenario without waiting for the whole new system to get approval.
    Steve, Dad to
    Aaron age 13 non-D

MM Revel 6-6-2011
    MM 523 6-8-11
    MM 522 1-30-08
    MM CGMS 3/27/08

Dexcom G4 3-29-13

Well, you could use it when the child was at school or in a day care setting, The teacher could have the unit plugged in and the parent could get alerts while at work. Or when the child was at a sleepover, or just at grandmas for the day.

Just at night, in the home, not really as functional, though, there are families who don't get good range in their homes. But for a parent who travels a lot and has to leave their child in someone else's care, that could be a wonderful item.

The version of the G5 that we've seen has the data going direct to a smartphone alrady, so I wonder if this will come out with the g5.

The only thing I disagree with this is this; At the ATTD conference, Dexcom showed a picture of a father on a business trip in a taxi, checking his phone with a sigh of relief that his daughter?s CGM reading was 150 mg/dl.
    Because you know if this were real life, the reading would show 350 with two up arrows and the father would start swearing. LOL.
    son, age 14; dx 2005 @ age 5
    Pumps: Cozmo 2006; Revel 2010
    CGMS: MM 2010; Dexcom G4 2013

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    It's probably hard to find enough kids younger than 2 to do the FDA trials on.
    When dd participated in the trial last August, FDA only approved the trial down to age 2, so I think it was driven by the FDA. I completely agree that this seems odd, but maybe it's still possible to Rx off label.

Quote Originally Posted by BittysMom View Post
    Sounds like the cradle must read the device and upload / send it via bluetooth to the smartphone, though I question how helpful that will be. Bluetooth usually requires some degree of proximity, so for the Dad in a taxi bit to work means there's a smart phone at home and one on the road. I am not buying any of my kids (or myself) a smart phone. I don't mind the idea of cloud storage and making that accessible to either smartphone, tablet, or computer, but come on. Couldn't they make the cradle wifi capable and have it upload straight to the cloud, skipping the first smartphone device?

I don't for a second equate this to MM MySentry - it doesn't upload anything and only transmits data to a room nearby, when it works, which is for between 40 an 60% of the people who purchase it. MySentry can't even be firmware upgraded - so much wrong there. MM is also working on similar bluetooth, smartphone, cloud tech. My guess is both companies will want a subscription for access to those features, and I'm not likely to pay for that. My kid can text me if she's old enough to be away from me, right?

That, of course, is the positive side of this line of thinking. When my kid's at a sleepover, at a non D camp, maybe even when she's away at college and possibly not feeling well, it'd be a way to share numbers and trends.

Of course, as I type this, Dex started alarming. I checked after she ignored the third alarm and it's gone from two hours of ??? to the hour glass, and the ten minutes it 'read' in between put her at nearly 400. Finger stick says she's 200. Maybe both companies should focus on making sensor accuracy better before producing equipment that makes us even more likely to make care decisions straight from cgm without a finger poke to verify?
    Kirsten

Mom to 3 incredible kids:
    dd Dx 2/28/11

MM Revel 723 3/27/2012

I wish someone with some engineering know-how could explain to me why the transmitter cannot simply transmit to a smartphone. With all of the technology that is out there today, it seems to me like it just can't be that hard.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014