advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with a pump

Default Sleeping with a pump

My son is moving to a pump in a few weeks. I am so stressed out, but trying hard to not let my son see this. My head is spinning with silly thoughts of how he will sleep with the pump on, how he can stay active (an believe me he is VERY active) without the infusion set ripping off. It seems like there are a lot of products to hold the pump (he will be using the t-slim). Any opinions as to what is best for sleeping, playing lacrosse, jumping on trampolines, hiking through the woods, playing tag....

Hi, how old is your son?

I'm on a pump (not the t-slim) and honestly the infusion sets arn't quite as fragile as you would expect=) I've caught my pump in a truck door and had the pump swinging under the truck with out it falling out/breaking=) I'm constantly banging it on the counter in out kitchen... or getting it stuck on door knobs and in the couch. I think I've had maybe five sets "rip off" in the past two or so years I've been wearing it=D

For sleeping with it, you'd be amazed how little it affects sleeping... I'm a very light sleeper and it doesn't bother me at all=) I some times stick it in my sports bra ( not really an option for your son;-) ) but mostly I just lay it beside me, sometimes it's on the floor in the morning but it's usually still attached;-)

The best advice I have for new pumpers is don't be too scared to break it, their very durable, and when they do break (which does happen...) the company will replace it=)

Pumping is amazing=D I would never go back to shots and honestly it doesn't slow me down at all, I do pilaties with it on, jump around our sail boat, baby sit children and chase them all over the place, I'm not into sports but I do act and as long as you plan ahead he'll be fine!

Hopefully some people with sporty children will chime in with more specific advice about sports=D
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

I have invested in may pajama bottoms with pockets that will fit my pump for sleeping, and I've been doing that for almost 11 years now.

You can get the belts or the clips and see how your son likes them, but I honestly just prefer putting it in a pocket.

As for infusion site durability, they are way more durable than you would think, but I do have SkinTac and Hypafix (both available on Amazon) for sites that start peeling up or if it's in an area that gets sweaty or is prone to getting knocked off (like my arms. Why they come off there, I have no idea).
    -Kirsten
    T1D: Dx 10 May 2002
    Minimed Paradigm: 2002 - 2006, Animas 1250 2006 - 2011, Animas Ping 2011; Freestyle 2002-2012; Humalog 2002-2012; Accu-Chek Nano 2012; Novolog 2012, Apidra 2013
    T1D older brother Dx 1997
    T1D younger brother Dx 2008

Electrical Engineering--EIT
    @PurdueMocha and @ferociousmocha on Twitter

Trust me, there are a lot of active pumping kids and they all sleep

The infusion set is not that easy to rip off. Yes, if the tubing gets caught on a door knob that will do it, but everyday activities and sleeping will not. Mine just lets the pump wander around the bed at night, during the day she shoves it in her jeans pocket and for sports uses a spi-belt.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

pocket jammie bottems for matt. Otherwise, pump is darn near indestructable. He has been pumping for years, active as all get out, the pump survives nicely.
    mom to
    kenny 18
    erika 14
    matt 13 dx'd 1-14-07 pumping minimed 723, 2-29-08

fur mom to
    cats skeeter 15 RIP angel boy, jack 8, kitkat 7 holly-dolly 3 gizmo 10 and weasel 3
    grandfurmom to tangy, the tiny baby kitten

Dogs-penelope-8 also type 1 diabetic on humalog
    Yoda 2, who should have been named chewy!.

avatar-chilliebean chillin on his house

6. Default

For a few years, we used pump paks during the day and night (From Pump Wear website). He would just strap the pump belt on and be fine all night. Now, at 9, he has self-"graduated" to just using the pump clip. He just clips it to his pajama waist band. We've never once had a problem, and he does thrash around at night a bit. Good luck!
    Kate, mom to:
    Andrew, age 10, dx'd 4/8/10, PINGing since 12/10, Dexcom G4 since 4/7/13
    Henry, age 8, non-d (cough-variant asthma)

My dd just wears hers clipped to her pajama pants, shorts etc and sleeps that way. Sometimes it comes unclipped but doesn't bother her.

I had to wear it for the saline trial before she started pumping. As she was so young they wanted me to wear it for a few days instead of confusing her by having her wear it while still getting shots. I am a VERY light sleeper who is easily disturbed by things in my sleep area/clothing not being just right. However I got used to it pretty easily, I was very surprised by that.

ETA-my dd is somewhat hyper and very uncoordinated etc. We had trouble at first but then we found Skin Tac wipes. I highly recommend this product, it keeps the sites on! Once we started using them we rarely lost sites.
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 13 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

Molly's just floats around in her bed...never had a problem!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by mape18 View Post
    My son is moving to a pump in a few weeks. I am so stressed out, but trying hard to not let my son see this. My head is spinning with silly thoughts of how he will sleep with the pump on, how he can stay active (an believe me he is VERY active) without the infusion set ripping off. It seems like there are a lot of products to hold the pump (he will be using the t-slim). Any opinions as to what is best for sleeping, playing lacrosse, jumping on trampolines, hiking through the woods, playing tag....
    In my opinion spibelt is the best product.

For sleeping the pump just flops around in the bed! Sometimes he wears it in his spibelt but mostly not.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Don't get scared off, but I'm going to tell you that there are a small handful of kids that don't sleep well with pumps. I think my ds might be the only one on these forums. He pulls sites out on a semi regular basis. I'd say on average, once every 5-6 weeks, but possibly more. He might just tug on it and we don't count it as a bed issue. We have a pump band http://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/...duct_list&c=23 that really helps. He doesn't wear it all the time in the summer, he gets too hot, but it helps when he wears it.

I need to buy pants that have button pockets, or sew velcro or snaps on the ones he has. Whenever he puts the pump in his pockets, it falls out not long after he falls asleep. My ds is a VERY active sleeper though. When he wakes up in the morning, his sheets and comforter are all over the place, most of the time not even tucked in at the bottom of his bed.

I'm sure my ds is a very rare case, but it does happen.
    Mom to ~
    DS 15
    --dx'd Type 1 Nov '07
    --pumping with Minimed w/ Novolog since January '11
    --integrated cgm and MySentry